Firehouse.com and EMSResponder.com Present Safety Week 2010
Posted: Tue, 05/11/2010 - 03:27pm
Updated: Sat, 06/26/2010 - 09:26am
• Sunday: Food & Nutrition
• Monday: Fitness
• Tuesday: Stress Management
• Wednesday: Smoking / Smokeless Tobacco Cessation
• Thursday: Alcohol and Other Drugs
• Friday: Infectious Diseases
• Saturday: Suicide Prevention
Saturday- Suicide Prevention
Between the beginning of 2007 and the middle of 2008, the
Chicago Fire Department experienced a growing number of
suicides within its ranks.
Friday - Infectious Diseases
For more than 35 years, Katherine West has been involved with
infection control and was a pioneer in education for emergency
medical service personnel.
• SCBA Use During Overhaul Urged
Dr. Don Stewart advocates firefighters wear SCBA not only
while fighting the flames, but while conducting overhaul.
• Infectious Disease: What You Can't See Might Kill You
Departments should establish guidelines, safety programs
Thursday - Alcohol and Other Drugs
The EAP unit saw an increase in cases as firefighters tried to
cope with the loss of their comrades.
Wednesday - Smoking / Smokeless Tobacco Cessation
The major smoking cessation campaign included the National
Volunteer Fire Council, Pfizer Inc. and 10 North Carolina fire
• Part 3: To quit or not to quit
While widely reported studies suggest that moderate drinking
(one drink a day for women, two for men) can be good for your
heart, no one ever recommends moderate smoking.
Tuesday - Stress Management
Firefighter Blanca Alcaraz says it is her mission to teach yoga
to first responders, dispelling all the myths surrounding it.
• Part 2: Are you more than just sad?
More than 50% of firefighter line-of-duty deaths are caused
by health-related issues.
Monday - Fitness
Safety, Health and Survival Week runs through June 26
• Doctor Promotes Health to Fire Service
The lecuture by Dr. Don Stewart was hosted by the USFA
• The Grind: Firefighter Fitness
The link between fitness levels and performance of daily duties
• Part 1: Make fitness fit into your routine
Exercise is important to a healthy lifestyle
• Fire-d Up for Fitness
The components of a exercise program
• Saving Our Own: Sudden Death with No Overtime
Looking at the cause of half the annual LODDs
Sunday - Food & Nutrition
Staff, students and visitors who frequent the dining hall on the
campus of the National Fire Academy have a number of
Tips to improve your eating practices