3. Be careful not to prolong this process as the product will be heavy and fall back down into the
4. Monitor the drafting process while discharging the extinguisher
I. Place a spotter outside the structure to monitor product egress from the top of the chimney cap area
III. Check for Extension (1-1-2)
A. Send attack crews to upper floors and attic areas with charged hoselines, to ensure that extension has not occurred
1. No booster lines
2. No PW cans
B. Use a mirror device to check for flue extinguishment
1. Advise homeowner to have a professional chimney company come out to perform an inspection
before it is used again
2. Do not forget to clean up the mess before leaving a structure
Student Performance Objective (SPO):
The student will function as a member of an interior attack team, will extinguish a chimney fire using positive pressure ventilation, a dry chemical extinguisher, and the required hoselines in place from a fire department pumper to the satisfaction of the instructor.
• Chimney Construction Features
• Check for Extension
Under each review point, recall and list three features from the discussion. Make a note of these points or highlight points in your notes so you may use them for exam review.
Instructor may use course quizzes, if any, or create and use lesson quizzes and other learning reinforcements. Quizzes are diagnostic and may be given as in-class group assignments to generate discussion or as home assignments and used as review prior to starting the next session.