6. Female Adapter – adapter threaded on inside of female end to permit attachment to ram plunger;
male end fits inside extension.
7. Flat Base – threaded flat attachment used where larger base needed for ram cylinder or plunger.
8. Hose - transmits oil under pressure from pump to ram, wedgie, or spreader; flexible and reinforced
to withstand internal pressure of system.
9. Lock-on Connector – used to connect two extensions together; lock pins used to hold extensions
in place on connector.
10. Lock Pin – used to hold extension onto lock-on connector or male or female adapter.
11. Male Adapter – adapter threaded on outside of male end to permit attachment inside ram
cylinder; other male end fits inside extension.
12. 90-degree V-Base – threaded V-shaped base with notches on both sides for gripping on round
13. Pipe Coupling – used to connect two extensions together using threads on outside of each
14. Plunger Toe – threaded attachment for ram plunger to permit spreading in tight areas.
15. Pump - hand operated unit that creates hydraulic pressure in system by operating handle.
16. Ram – used primarily for spreading in all directions and in any position; complete range of
capacities from l-1/2 through 50 tons (only component of system to operate at capacity); can also
be used for limited pulling; one end of the ram threaded on outside of cylinder while other end
threaded on inside; end of plunger also threaded; travel distance of plunger eight inches; when
used with extension, capacity of ram reduced by 50%.
17. Rubber Flex Head – threaded round rubber attachment for end of ram plunger or extension.
18. Serrated Saddle – threaded round serrated base for plunger.
19. Single Chain Plate – threaded attachment for cylinder to permit chain to be attached to each end;
plunger pushes against object to create tightening.
20. Slip Lock Extension - adjustable extension inserted inside extension and secured with lock pin;
adjustment mechanism threaded with quick release to extend.
21. Smooth Saddle – threaded round smooth base for plunger.
22. Spee-D-Coupler – threaded coupling used to connect hose to ram, wedgie, or spreaders.
23. Spreader – device used for widening opening; spreader has opening distance of approximately
twelve inches and capacity of approximately 1,200 lbs.
24. Wedge Head – threaded wedge-shaped attachment for ram plunger or extension with notch in
center for gripping.
25. Wedgie - small spreader (sometimes called a duckbill) has opening distance of approximately
three inches; capacity of approximately 600 lbs.
B. Care and Maintenance
1. Protect threads and couplings with proper protective devices or caps
2 Avoid overpowering attachments
3. Hydraulic lines should never be disconnected while under pressure
4. Attachments tightened by hand utilizing Spee-DCouplers
5. When utilizing extension tubes, utilize lock on connectors or lock pins
6. Tape measurements should be taken to ascertain desired extension reach prior to assembly
7. Check jack oil level - add SAE 10 motor oil if needed to level of notch on stem of filler plug
8. Do not overfill pumps beyond recommended capacity
III. OPERATION OF THE PORTO-POWER (1-3)
A. Principles of Operation
1. Do not overpower pump with pipe attachments or additional weight application; stop pumping
when pumping becomes more difficult
2. Spreaders and wedgies normally are the most misused piece of equipment utilized with portopower
3. Pump handle for application of force. When using spreader or wedgie, hold pump in hands with
hose pointing down, and squeeze pump handle against pump housing. Stop pumping when
resistance is felt.