17. To maintain an enthusiastic attitude toward your required duties and your fellow firefighters, you should do which of the following?
A)totally immerse yourself in your job at all times
B)try to maintain an equal balance between your job as a firefighter and your home life
C)your job should be your first responsibility and your home life following as a close second
D)maintain a positive attitude toward your fellow firefighters and treat them as you would your family
18. Engine 17, Engine 22 and Squad 3 arrive at the scene of a one and one-half story dwelling located on a cul-de-sac in which fire is coming from the first floor. A neighbor approaches the officer and two firefighters concerning pertinent details about the fire. Which of the following would be the first question for the officer to ask the neighbor?
A)Where do you live and what is your address?
B)Is there anybody presently in the house?
C)Did you see anybody running from the house or do you know how the fire started?
D)How long have the occupants lived at this address?
19. Your officer has just received information from the Battalion Chief that a complete apparatus inventory will be needed within one hour. Normally, this procedure would take 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Which of the following would be the best way for you to accomplish this task on time?
A)immediately start the apparatus inventory since there is little time to complete it
B)ask others to assist you in the job so that you retain a coordinator's role in the task with little or no work involved on your part
C)first look over the inventory, organize it, and see what will be needed to accomplish the task within the given time frame
D)tell the officer it will be impossible for you to complete this task within the time frame presented to you
20. You have just reported for your shift at a fire station and are stowing your gear in your locker when you hear something in the bathroom. You enter the bathroom and call out, but there is no response. You proceed into the bathroom and observe Firefighter B slumped over the sink. There is a strong smell of alcohol. What should you do?
A)ignore Firefighter B and forget the whole thing
B)immediately take Firefighter B home without telling anyone
C)summon an officer
D)ask Firefighter B if he is all right, how much he had to drink, and how long ago
21. A fracture is a broken bone. In a simple fracture, the skin is not broken. In a compound fracture, a broken end of the bone pierces the skin. Whenever a fracture is feared, the first thing to do is to prevent motion of the broken part. Suppose that a firefighter has just tripped on a stairway in the firehouse and twisted his ankle. He says it hurts badly, but you cannot tell what is wrong merely by looking at it. Of the following, the best action to take is to:
A) tell the firefighter to stand up and see whether he can walk
B) move the ankle gently to see whether you can feel any broken ends of the bone
C) tell the firefighter to rest a few minutes and promise to return later to see whether his condition has improved
D) tell the firefighter not to move his foot, and put in a call for medical assistance
22. Firefighters from Engine 24 and Ladder 20 have arrived on the scene of a multiple suite dwelling. Firefighters have been instructed by the battalion chief to initiate procedures for delaying spread of fire from one occupancy to the next. Which of the following is the best procedure to accomplish this task?
A) the doors between rooms should be closed as soon as possible to decrease the spread of fire
B) order hoselines into the occupancies on either side of the fire to limit the spread of fire
C) immediately open all windows within the occupancy to limit the spread of fire
D) stand by in a ready position, inasmuch as most occupancies have fire spread limitation controls to decrease the chance of ignition
23. Firefighters have just arrived on the scene of a three-car accident on Highway I-90. Which of the following would be the first action taken by firefighters?
A) check for any injuries to the occupants of cars involved in the accident
B) immediately call for three or more apparatus to block the flow of traffic so firefighters will not be endangered
C) stand by and direct traffic at the scene of the accident until police and ambulances arrive to treat the injured occupants
D) immediately contact the alarm office to inform the police department of the accident and ask for their immediate response to the scene
24. During overhaul procedures, firefighters often come across valuable items (including money and jewelry). You are overhauling a bedroom and notice one of your fellow firefighters taking what appears to be an expensive piece of jewelry and putting it in his pocket. Which of the following would be the most correct action to take?
A) immediately go to your supervisor and inform him of what your coworker has done, without first asking for an explanation by the coworker
B) ask your fellow firefighter to explain his actions
C) immediately tell the firefighter that what he has done is dishonest and goes against all professional and ethical firefighter standards
D) don't say anything to the firefighter unless you are approached by the firefighter concerning the incident.
Do not make rash judgments without seeing if there is a reason for the behavior. Additional pratice exams can be found Here. Good luck !!!!!!!!!!!
Go to www.fireprep.com and register for our free fireprep e-mail newsletter that currently has over 20,000 subscribers.
You will also be entered in our drawing to WIN a free copy of our "Encyclopedia of Firefighter Examinations" & "Psychological Exam Preparation" . Good luck !!!!
If you want to start getting that competitive edge immediately over your competition, our 14 day FREE e-mail series covers the written, psychological, oral interview and physical agility. This e-mail series will guide you step by step through the maze of the testing process to help you shorten that learning curve between you and that coveted badge. As soon as you sign-up you will receive the first e-mail with important inside secrets. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain!! Go to the link below for our 14 day e-mail series sign-up. Good luck !! Click here: Fireprep.com Free 14 Day Email Series