e. Firefighter 3
1) Assist driver at scene
2) Assist with standby safety line
3) Perform exterior operations such as setting up master streams
f. Comment: With a five-person crew, the officer is required to be part of the attack crew which
limits size-up or supervision. The initial attack is limited to one line and exterior operations until
the remainder of the crew is available to permit interior entry or activation of additional attack
lines. This is probably the minimum crew that should be available to initiate interior operations
without having to wait for additional personnel. It should be pointed out, however, that additional
personnel and apparatus will be needed to provide relief for the initial attack crew as well as
performing other fire scene duties.
4. At the conclusion of the discussion, open the floor for an interactive discussion of how the
members would utilize personnel to perform the various duties based on various staffing levels.
Start with the maximum staffing for the piece of apparatus based on available and continue the
exercise by eliminating one person for each round. You may want to incorporate the department’s
standard operating procedures into the discussion. Consideration may also be given to the priority
of the tasks.
5. Understand that the discussion involves only the first arriving engine. As more units arrive, the
duties can be shared with the staffing on those units.
6. This discussion could be very thought-provoking when the next unit is delayed in arrival and/or the
staffing level is low.
7. The safety of operating personnel must be the primary consideration of the incident commander
and everyone on the scene.
HOW’S YOUR APPARATUS STAFFING?
* Engine Company Duties
* Utilization of Personnel
REMOTIVATION: Understanding the duties and responsibilities of the engine company and how to deploy the available personnel to carry out those duties requires coordination and teamwork. It needs to be practiced on a regular basis so that the team can perform effectively and efficiently when called upon. As in sports, it is very difficult to win when you do not have adequate personnel.