To access the remainder of this piece of premium content, you must be registered with Firehouse. Already have an account? Login
Register in seconds by connecting with your preferred Social Network.
Complete the registration form.
16. Watch the watch. By performing your aerobic activity to the clock, as opposed to a distance, you can work out anywhere. Allow for an ample warmup period, complete the activity and cool down afterward. Your body continues to burn substantial calories up to an hour after you complete your aerobic activity.
17. Think safety. Use a spotter when using heavier weights, wear a bicycle helmet whenever you ride, wear a reflective vest if your run will be during darkness and always carry identification to help emergency workers in case of an accident.
18. Listen to your body. Do not overtrain or push your body to failure. "No pain, no gain" is a myth. You can make great gains without injuring your body. Heed your body's warning signs. Use the "RICE" principle for minor injuries Rest, Ice, Constriction, Elevation. If soreness persists, seek medical care.
19. Buy a book. Invest in a healthy recipe cookbook, such as The Healthy Firehouse Cookbook by FDNY Firefighter Joe Bonanno and Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.
20. Have fun. The foundation to a healthy lifestyle is having fun getting there. Step out of the box and come up with new and fun ways to accomplish old things.
I hope these simple tips will help you on your way to a healthier and happier lifestyle.