While on-line computers are also susceptible to hackers who are trying to access your personal and financial information. A personal firewall is very popular because it places a protective barrier between the Internet and the confidential and personal information stored on your PC.
Recommendations to protect your fire department and personal computer:
- Install reputable virus protection software that detects and removes viruses.
- Regularly update the virus protection software - new viruses are appearing daily.
- Limit installation of computer programs without department authorization.
- Download files only from reputable websites.
- Exercise care when reading email. Don't download files from persons you don't know. Be careful when downloading unexpected files even from friends or acquaintances.
- Never open an emailed file that ends with the suffix exe, bat or pif - UNLESS YOU WERE EXPECTING THE FILE.
- Look closely before you click on any link within an email, be suspicious.
- Never unsubscribe to what appears to be a SPAM or unsolicited bulk email, it is unlikely to unsubscribe you from the list and validates the email address which insures that you'll get more.
For c|net reviews on virus protection software, visit: http://www.cnet.com/software/1,11066,0-806174-1202-0,00.html?tag=st.cn.sr1.ssr.sw_antivirus