Fire Wire 2/13

DEC. 20: MERIDEN, CT – At least three people were displaced from their homes after a dryer fire in the basement of a condominium complex.

DEC. 24: LAS VEGAS, NV – Damage was estimated at $50,000 after a fire in a large, two-story wood-frame/stucco house that likely started in a fireplace. The family of four left earlier in the day to visit relatives for the holidays; three pet cats died of smoke inhalation.

JAN. 2: FAIRFAX COUNTY, VA – Discarded smoking materials sparked a fire in a single-family, split-level home and caused $150,000 in damage. Firefighters conducted an aggressive fire attack while simultaneously coordinating a thorough search throughout the home. 

JAN. 8: MADISON HEIGHTS, MI – Crews battled a two-alarm fire at a large, two-story townhouse complex. Upon assessing fire conditions and lightweight construction, command switched to defensive operations and operated defensively for 45 minutes to knock down the bulk of the blaze. The Madison Heights, Ferndale, Hazel Park, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Township and Troy fire departments responded.

Thanks to contributors: David Bowen and Timothy R. Szymanski.