Hot Shots 9/13

CORAM, NY, APRIL 21, 2013 – The Coram Fire Department found a rapidly advancing fire in a 16-unit apartment building. The fire made its way into the attic and the only option was to go into an exterior operation to control the raging flames. The fire was brought under control with the help of mutual aid departments from Farmingville, Medford, Miller Place, Mount Sinai and Selden. The Port Jefferson Volunteer Ambulance Corps responded to the scene and assisted with firefighter rehab.

Photo by Dennis Whittam/Fire News


WHARTON, NJ, JUNE 17, 2013 – Units were dispatched to an early-morning fire in a two-family house. On arrival, units found a fully involved, 2½-story, wood-frame dwelling. Mutual aid was called to the scene from the Dover, Mine Hill and Picatinny Arsenal fire departments. Approximately 50 firefighters battled the blaze for an hour before bringing it under control using multiple master streams, a deck gun and a ladder pipe. Eleven occupants were displaced. No injuries were reported an all occupants escaped the fast-moving blaze after being alerted by the building’s fire alarm. Exposure buildings sustained heat damage to exterior siding.

Photo by Adam Alberti


GLENDALE, CA, MAY 27, 2013 – Glendale firefighters rolled up to a two-story, apartment-over-commercial occupancy with fire showing. An adult resident jumped from the second floor to the sidewalk and suffered non-life-threatening injuries. The fire was soon in the attic and consumed the entire second floor. Burbank and Pasadena companies assisted Glendale. It took more than two hours to knock down the blaze.

Photo by Rick McClure


NASH COUNTY NC, JUNE 15, 2013 – Firefighters from Coopers, Rock Mount, Sharpsburg and West Mount were dispatched to a dwelling fire. First-in units found heavy flames showing from a one-story home. Fire had vented out half of the roof. Three handlines were used from the exterior. A pumper drafted from a nearby pond and supplied water from about 200 feet away. A nearby exposure was protected. It took 35 firefighters about one hour to bring the blaze under control. High temperatures required additional EMS personnel for rehab.

Photo by Bob Bartosz