Hot Shots 11/13

CHICAGO, IL, SEPT. 11, 2013 – Snorkel Squad 1 operates at a 4-11 alarm in a warehouse that housed pallets. Despite having few hydrants in the area, firefighters kept the fire from reaching an attached exposure.

Photo by Gordon J. Nord Jr.


MISSION HILLS, CA, SEPT. 5, 2013 – Eight Los Angeles fire companies along with two water tenders, one brush patrol, two rescue ambulances and one Battalion Command team took 33 minutes to knock down a vegetation fire that consumed approximately two acres of heavy brush along the 118 (Ronald Reagan) Freeway. The cause was under investigation and there were no injuries. Firefighters battled the intense flames in 104-degree weather.

Photo by Rick McClure/EPN


ROOSEVELT, NY, AUG. 28, 2013 – The Roosevelt Fire Department responded to a report of a garage fire. Heavy smoke was showing from a commercial building on the arrival of the first units. The fire spread quickly and within minutes the building was fully involved. The fire extended to two garages in the rear. The fire was knocked down and companies had to overhaul for an extended period.

Photo by Bill Bennett/


IRVINGTON, NJ, AUG. 18, 2013 – Irvington firefighters, with assistance from several neighboring departments, responded to a four-alarm fire that destroyed a factory. Shortly after midnight, Irvington units were dispatched for numerous reports of a fire. Engine 42, located diagonally across the street from the fire building, called the working fire as heavy smoke issued from a large, one-story, truss-roof building that housed a company that manufactured plastic bags. A second alarm was transmitted. Companies forcing entry discovered heavy fire in the rear rapidly extending forward. A third alarm was transmitted as fire broke through the roof in the rear, forcing defensive operations. Fire consumed the building as the roof collapsed and produced cracks in the walls that required a collapse zone. A fourth alarm was requested, bringing units from Essex and Union counties to the scene and for coverage. Four elevated master streams operated as well as deck guns, ground monitors and handlines. The fire was placed under control five hours later, but crews rotated for several hours and a fire watch was set up. One firefighter was transported to a hospital with a lacerated hand.

Photo by Bill Tompkins/