<?xml:namespace prefix = dme />
Modular homes are built using an engineered approach to produce buildings in a more efficient and cost effect method that can deliver lower home prices per square foot.
Instead of the traditional stick-built, on-site construction methods, most of the work is pre-fabricated at an off-site climate controlled factory. As each sub-section is finished it is transported to the building site and constructed together using the same methods the current stick built homes use.
Everyonegoeshome.com Learning Media Center.
A recent informational video was produced and developed on Residential Modular Construction Fires -Lessons Learned. This video discusses the hazards and lessons learned from fighting fires in modular construction homes. Chief Kevin A. Gallagher, Acushnet Fire & EMS Department, MA presented an informative session on operational issues an insights on construction methods and practices.
Everyonegoeshome.com Training Program HERE
Based upon the information presented in the EGH video, here’s some additional information to increase your awareness on this construction system and process.
- The question is this; “Are you aware of Modular Construction taking place in your response district, first-due area, greater alarm locations or mutual-aid districts?”
- Operational strategies, tactics and task assignments at buildings constructed of modular construction will perform differently than those of engineered, conventional or legecy construction, continuing the challenages in identifying building construction features, occupany risk and selecting the appropriate operational deployment profile and tactics.
- If your command or company officer(s) identify during initial tactical operations that the building is comprised of modular construction; will you alter or adjust your deployment and operations accordingly?
- Do you know what to be looking for or at?
- Get your companies and offiers out into the field and take a look at what's being constructed and how; you'll be surprised at what's taking place in your first-due or surrounding areas.
- Remember, Building Knowledge=Firefighter Safety.
Modular buildings and modular homes are sectional prefabricated buildings or houses that consist of multiple modules or sections which are manufactured in a remote facility and then delivered to their intended site of use. The modules are assembled into a single residential building using either a crane or trucks.
Modular buildings are considerably different from mobile homes. Off-frame modular dwellings differ from mobile homes largely in their absence of axles or a frame, meaning that they are typically transported to their site by means of flat-bed trucks; however, some modular dwellings are built on a steel frame (on-frame modular), which can be used for transportation to the site. Many modular homes are of multi-level design, and are often set in place using a crane.