Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Just got back from Phoenix...

Seems like there were a few more people testing this year (I'd approximate 1800 vs. last year's 1500).

I must say I enjoy the people watching associated with taking tests, especially when applying in agencies out of my own state. Arizona applicants are an interesting breed...not a whole lot of "t-shirt firefighters" running around (the ones who are decked out in their class B's are always my favorite), but definitely plenty of dudes with big biceps and pretty hair/clothes. I imagine it's par for the course, with the weather and "pool time" being almost year round and all.

All in all it was a good experience (again). I imagine the proces will be a little more fast-tracked, with the removal of the CPAT form the evaluations.

Hopefully interviews are coming VERY soon. Any word on how many PFD intends to hire this year?

Forum Member

I hope to be down there next year.. going to iraq next month so i didn't get a chance to test this time around. How do you think you did on the test? Did the study guides from Paradise Valley help out.. or were they way off base. I haven't heard how many they are going to hire.. but i did hear that they are hiring for /next/ year.. not the upcoming classes.. don't know if you've heard the same thing.
    -pete

Forum Member

what is a t-shirt firefighter?

class b's? what is that?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by xstalkrx View Post
    what is a t-shirt firefighter?

class b's? what is that?
    A "t-shirt firefighter" is someone who is just in it for the shirt.

A class B uniform is the station uniform with the buttons/badge, etc.

I have heard there will be 100 openings, but that was from the guy next to me at the test.
    How many times have you tested? Have you ever gotten an interview?
    A few guys from my EMT class just got their 2nd interview for last years test ( their scores were low... third round). This was the 1st time I took the test, it was pretty easy.... now I gotta gear up for the CPAT...

Default Thank you!!

Pete....Thank you for your service to our Country. Good luck and keep your head down. I'm sure you will do fine and be able to take the next test.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Cheers jay, thanks for the post. I just wish fire deparments would test more than once a year.. and give those who have obligations outside of the country a chance to test..

Default Right Place

Pete...I was Stationed in Long Beach with the Navy and was lucky to be in Port when they had their test. It's all in the timing. Good Luck!! Stay Safe!!

Jay

P.S. ....Powerhourcoug....Coeur d'Alene?????
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

They are only taking like 20 guys this year because of budget cuts by arizons lovely democrat governor whos in the hole by the millions. But if any of you are interested I have all kinds of info about the oral board here. The orals here are way different. You get three questions and have like 5 minutes for each. They give you the questions 5 minutes before you go in. It takes a lot of practice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where did you hear only 20??? Could it be only 20 for the first class?? do you know what the cut off will be for the first round of interviews? or when they might start interviews?

also how is it the governors fault that they are making cutbacks in the city of phoenix. Is the fire department state funded???

MembersZone Subscriber

First round interviews are in September, usually the cut off is right around 80 percent but I don't know the exact number. If you pass that interview you'll get a second sometime around ocotber with the academy in january. That would be class 09-1. I don't know when interviews start for 09-2, probably in december.

As far as how many hired, it's more like 20 for the first academy, not the whole year. 11 recruits were fired from the last academy alone, and there are a bunch of retirements coming up. While the city of Phoenix had budgest cuts, Fire and police weren't affected on the operations level.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info rbbemmoth, i scored an 84 so hopefully i make it into the first round

MembersZone Subscriber

I talked to a battalion chief yesterday. The cutoff score is 84. Anyone above that gets a first round interview. I also talked to one of the head guys in emerald society today and he was saying they are begging just to let them hire 24. They had to cancel some renovations due to city budget cuts. Because of state shortfalls many cities around the valley had to minimize their budget. Phoenix isn't the only one. And yes as its been said first round interviews are september.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info djbaldwin

Thread Information