Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Pat

I will be taking mine on September 15th at 0800.

Default Pat

Good luck on your PAT Monday Piphill. Hope all goes well. By the way, does anyone know if we have to lock the ladder in the up position or lower it in a controlled manner lower it back down? I can't remember haven taken a few PAT's.

Forum Member

Default Pat

Good luck to you as well and as far as the ladder phase in concerned, you have to raise and lock the ladder in place. You do not lower it.

Forum Member

Default Sep 15th

Well all finished with the PAT and now it is just a waiting game to see if I am selected for an interview.

Default Pat

PAT went well. Got back in at 11:00pm last night. I will make a post when and if I hear anything about orals piphill. Peggy Buchanan had indicated they would more than likely take place in late Novemeber/December. I heard they took 200 to the PAT and the letter stated that 60 would get orals. Wish you the best of luck in the process.

Default Hey piphill

I was just wondering what the Public Safety Test was like. I know you said you got a 96% and needed something like a 98% to be considered for Kent. Any info on how the test is structured or what type of areas are tested is appreciated. Everett is testing and I don't want to fly out and take it of it is a difficult test.

Chawk12

Forum Member

Default Public Safety

Chawk12,
    The public safety test is broken down as such.... First 50 questions are a combination of reading comprehension and finding the correct word and spelling in a sentence. The rest of the test is basic math and that makes up 100 questions. Then there are 50 personality questions that obviously you cannot study for. The test is not too hard but in my opinon you need an 98% or better to even have a chance. You should buy the study guide from public safety to get a very good idea and how the questions are written. That was all I have ever used and nothing else will help you prepare for it. I will take it again in December and good luck if you do take it!

Forum Member

Glad to see people have been succesful with TFD's test.
    I am a firefighter with TFD.
    If you have any question's, post them here and I will try to answer.
    Some clarifications about things I've read in the thread so far:
    There were roughly 1,000 qaulified applicants this year.
    Roughly 400 passed the written.
    Roughly 300 were invited to the PAT.
    PAT concluded Sept 22 or so.
    Next step is the Oral Boards, which historically have been in Nov/Dec.
    If people are hired, the Academy usually starts around Feb.
    Class size varies HUGELY, anywhere from 5 to 20.
    List is often (not always) extended for total of 2 years (2 classes).

starting wage is roughly $59,000 per year.

good luck

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Info

Flipper123 I do appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions we might have and here are a few that I would like to know. What is your work schedule (1 on 2 off) and do you happen to know where the new hires attend their academy at? I was told that the top 60 applicants would be invited for the oral board and hopefully I will have some notice because I will be flying out of Kuwait. Thanks for the info!

Forum Member

What is your work schedule (1 on 2 off)
    We work 24on/48off, 24on/96off. Only 2 or 3 depts in WA work this schedule, usually the larger ones (ie TFD,Seattle and Everett).
    do you happen to know where the new hires attend their academy at?
    Our Academy is at the TFD training center in the tideflats area of Tacoma.
    Lasts for about 13-15 weeks.
    I was told that the top 60 applicants would be invited for the oral board
    In the last few tests alot more than 60 went to the orals-more like 100+.
    No idea how much notice you get, I think I had a couple weeks.

Be safe in the desert over there, and good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Flipper 123 I have a question. If someone were to be ranked in the top 5 and they passes the PAT; however, on the background questionnaire their financial background is less than desirable, how likely is one to get an interview out of the process?

Forum Member

The candidates are "ranked" in "bands", so there may be 1, or 20, or whatever, people in each "band". Being ranked #5 is awesome, but you really don't know how many people are ranked above you.

Background stuff is always an issue. Bottom line is, other than felonies or major crap like that, they will hire anyone that impresses the mat the oral board. Having credit challenges in the past is something you should deal with, try to make it better, and explain what happened.
    But don't be thinking it will be an auto-dq.

Good Luck!!!

Default Question

I think we all appreciate you taking the time to answer some questions flipper123. The one I have is that I have heard rumors that because of how poorly many Tacoma firefighters 401 K's where doing that there would be a far less significant number of people retiring this year and that they might in fact pospone the Feb. Academy. Just wondering if you have heard anything about orals being scheduled yet for sure this year or if it is still up in the air. I would assume we would expect to hear something in the next few weeks if they were to have them in Nov. or Dec. Any info you have reguarding these areas in appreciated.

Thanks,
    chawk12

Forum Member

Default 401k

Chawk12 I hope that is not the case. I really want the opportunity to work for a great city. I thought Tacoma fire department had pensions after 20-25 years of service?

FF pensions in Washington are state-run. Members and cities contribute, but the state also contributes, and manages them. You have to be 53 to retire, or you will take a hit for each year younger than 53 you are. Retirement benefits are calculated at 2% for each year of service, with no cap, based on the average of your highest consecutive 60 months.

Clear as mud right? Good luck.

[QUOTE=flipper123;999455
    We work 24on/48off, 24on/96off. Only 2 or 3 depts in WA work this schedule, usually the larger ones (ie TFD,Seattle and Everett).
    [/QUOTE]

There are a number of other 4-platoon variants, but they all work out to the same hours more or less, depending on debit days. The only one that has no DD's is Everett, works out to be a 42-hr week. The others usually fall in in the 45-46 hr week.

Sno 7 and Sno 1 work a 24on/24off/24on/120 off, then repeat.
    Spokane works a straight 24/72.

Forum Member

The one I have is that I have heard rumors that because of how poorly many Tacoma firefighters 401 K's where doing that there would be a far less significant number of people retiring this year and that they might in fact pospone the Feb.
    I would think that TFD pensions are doing about the same as every other firefighter's 401 is doing- pretty lousy!
    We never know what the class size will be until we get the final go-ahead from the City Manager. There's always a chance they will not hire immediately from the list.
    I hear Seattle did the same thing recently, something about budget cuts or no $$$ to hire.

There are a number of other 4-platoon variants, but they all work out to the same hours more or less, depending on debit days. The only one that has no DD's is Everett, works out to be a 42-hr week. The others usually fall in in the 45-46 hr week.
    The age -old "who gets paid most/works the least" discussion is never ending
    TFD works 46.6 hrs per week.
    It's very hard to figure out who really gets paid more or less, there are so many variables in contracts, like med/dental, days off, uniform allowance. etc.
    Bottom line is any career ff in Wa State is doing pretty well compared nationally.
    Do you work for Seattle, SFD1992?

Forum Member

Default Tacoma Oral Boards

Has anyone received a call for scheduling their oral board?

Default Nothing yet

Haven't received anything yet piphill. I'll post as soon as I do. Be safe over there.

Default Hey Flipper

Have you heard anything as to why oral boards aren't being scheduled as they were last year about this time? Just wondering if there has been an offical postponement of the process.

Thanks,
    chawk12

Thread Information