Forum Member

Default MSA Telemetry system for lost firefighters

Still tossed up between MSA & SCOTT and need help from my fellow brother's and sister's. Need some info from people who have either the MSA telemetry system for lost firefighters or the SCOTT Paktracker. Pro's and con's or whose is better and why will be a huge help to me.

Forum Member

Probably will get more answers in the main forums.

Forum Member

Thanks will try there

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Poliseno View Post
    Still tossed up between MSA & SCOTT and need help from my fellow brother's and sister's. Need some info from people who have either the MSA telemetry system for lost firefighters or the SCOTT Paktracker. Pro's and con's or whose is better and why will be a huge help to me.
    Will probably be hard to find someone with extensive experience in both.

Scott Paktracker is very slick to my observation. Paktracker is fully integrated with the PASS and is a great system to alert IC/RIT team (outside of the structure) of a PASS event. And then you can use the equipment to locate the downed FF. Simple to use and reasonable price.

I'm told that Scott has a new system coming shortly that expands on the capabilities in place with the paktracker individual pak signals into an full feature accountability system. Don't know if will be announced to the public at FDIC or not.

But if I were to place a bet I'd bet the next edition of NFPA1981 will include a wireless firefighter locator system. Really a huge advance in FF safety. I'm sold on it. Particularily for the price. If you purchase a 2007 edition Scott pak it will have Paktracker capability. You'll be ready for the future. You can have Paktracker activated later but much more economical to do so at the time of purchase and still stay within the grant cap. I strongly advise doing so.

I don't know what MSA might be doing. I'f looking at the alternative SCBA brands it would be worth finding out if they have such a system (shipping not promised).

MembersZone Subscriber

Now if they will just make a system that can work across all brands. Interoperability.

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably about the same time the PC industry standardizes.
    Last edited by neiowa; 04-09-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Forum Member

Default PC's have

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Probably about the same time the PC industry standardizes.
    Apple finally started to use Intel Processors so you can run Windows on the Mac (I call them Wii's).

Forum Member

Default On a serious note

We use the Grace System - works great but doesn't give us the pressure of the packs.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have recently purchased the PakTracker from Scott. When we got our packs off the 2007 AFG we were able to include it in our grant and still kept the pack less than 5k. We have used them on 2 training fires and one live structure fire. The system works great. It will even locate on different floors. One of our training fires had a basement. We were able to pinpoint that he was on a lower floor quickly. Great system. There are no bulky parts added to the pack. It is integrated into the PASS system. The Tracker itself is a handheld device a little smaller than a Thermal Imager. Can't wait to see it integrate into an accountability system.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have recently read about the development of a chest strap type device which transmits the physiological conditions of the FF relative to core temperature, breathing rate, heart rate, blood pressure etc. to a laptop compete with pre-set alarms etc.. Apprenlty came from technology used in NASA to monitor astronauts. Interesting concept.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    I have recently read about the development of a chest strap type device which transmits the physiological conditions of the FF relative to core temperature, breathing rate, heart rate, blood pressure etc. to a laptop compete with pre-set alarms etc.. Apprenlty came from technology used in NASA to monitor astronauts. Interesting concept.
    Neat technology, I just hope NFPA doesn't require FF 1 & 2 trainees to have that on too within the 1 minute of time they require now to have bunker on and packed up! If I'd had to put any more gear on w/in the 1 min time limit, I would have failed for sure! LOL

Thread Information