Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Michael Monsoor

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Michael Monsoor

I am watching a very moving White House ceremony in which the President is awarding the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously to Petty Officer SEAL Michael Monsoor.

Navy SEAL Dies Saving Comrades
    Associated Press | October 14, 2006
    CORONADO, Calif. - A Navy SEAL sacrificed his life to save his comrades by throwing himself on top of a grenade Iraqi insurgents tossed into their sniper hideout, fellow members of the elite force said.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Michael A. Monsoor had been near the only door to the rooftop structure Sept. 29 when the grenade hit him in the chest and bounced to the floor, said four SEALs who spoke to The Associated Press this week on condition of anonymity because their work requires their identities to remain secret.

"He never took his eye off the grenade, his only movement was down toward it," said a 28-year-old lieutenant who sustained shrapnel wounds to both legs that day. "He undoubtedly saved mine and the other SEALs' lives, and we owe him."

Monsoor, a 25-year-old gunner, was killed in the explosion in Ramadi, west of Baghdad. He was only the second SEAL to die in Iraq since the war began.

Two SEALs next to Monsoor were injured; another who was 10 to 15 feet from the blast was unhurt. The four had been working with Iraqi soldiers providing sniper security while U.S. and Iraqi forces conducted missions in the area.

In an interview at the SEALs' West Coast headquarters in Coronado, four members of the special force remembered "Mikey" as a loyal friend and a quiet, dedicated professional.

"He was just a fun-loving guy," said a 26-year-old petty officer 2nd class who went through the grueling 29-week SEAL training with Monsoor. "Always got something funny to say, always got a little mischievous look on his face."

Other SEALS described the Garden Grove, Calif., native as a modest and humble man who drew strength from his family and his faith. His father and brother are former Marines, said a 31-year-old petty officer 2nd class.

Prior to his death, Monsoor had already demonstrated courage under fire. He has been posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions May 9 in Ramadi, when he and another SEAL pulled a team member shot in the leg to safety while bullets pinged off the ground around them.

Monsoor's funeral was held Thursday at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego. He has also been submitted for an award for his actions the day he died.

The first Navy SEAL to die in Iraq was Petty Officer 2nd Class Marc A. Lee, 28, who was killed Aug. 2 in a firefight while on patrol against insurgents in Ramadi. Navy spokesman Lt. Taylor Clark said the low number of deaths among SEALs in Iraq is a testament to their training.

Sixteen SEALs have been killed in Afghanistan. Eleven of them died in June 2005 when a helicopter was shot down near the Pakistan border while ferrying reinforcements for troops pursuing al-Qaida militants.

There are about 2,300 of the elite fighters, based in Coronado and Little Creek, Va.

The Navy is trying to boost that number by 500 - a challenge considering more than 75 percent of candidates drop out of training, notorious for "Hell Week," a five-day stint of continual drills by the ocean broken by only four hours sleep total. Monsoor made it through training on his second attempt.

Why do we call ball players, movie stars, rap artiists and the like heroes, when we have people like Michael Monsoor watching over us? Most of us are not deservng to shine Michael's shoes.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

It's people like him that are the real heros in this world.

"Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

If only more people really understood that.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

A truly amazing selfless act. This is truly Brotherhood. Now, that being said, I have a question. We were talking about this at the table today, does his family get any sort of death benefit along with the CMH? Nobody knew an answer.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Yes.. the family will get benefits
    Typically you get 500,000 right away from his life insurance. And from what I understand most of the burial costs are covered as well.. I don't know if there is anything special that is given out because he is spec ops, I’m just going what my family would get if i died, if he had children they will receive base/dependant bennies (use of bx/px, medical, base access) until they are 18, and your spouse will receive dependant bennies until she/he dies. At the end of the day though.. doesn't cover losing a son/husband/brother.
    -pete

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Sixteen SEALs have been killed in Afghanistan. Eleven of them died in June 2005 when a helicopter was shot down near the Pakistan border while ferrying reinforcements for troops pursuing al-Qaida militants.
    George I just finished reading "Lone Survivor" (Marcus Luttrell) The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10: Marcus Luttrell,Patrick Robinson:

"In June 2005, Luttrell was part of a four-man SEAL team dropped into the mountains of Afghanistan as part of Operation Redwing, which involved capturing or killing a terrorist leader, responsible for the deaths of several civilians and U.S. military personnel. However, once in position, the team was unwittingly stumbled upon by three shepherds and their flock of goats. The team had to choose between killing the civilians (to protect themselves and the mission) or whether to release the shepherds (who would likely inform the local terrorist group, thought to be 80 to 200 strong). They chose to release the shepherds. Read the book to find out the disastrous results."

An excellant read and will open disscusions on ROE or "rules of Engagement" that our soldiers work under.

Thanks for the post
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbrescue View Post
    A truly amazing selfless act. This is truly Brotherhood. Now, that being said, I have a question. We were talking about this at the table today, does his family get any sort of death benefit along with the CMH? Nobody knew an answer.
    You're right, especially in combat, it is a brotherhood like no other.

https://cs.mhf.dod.mil/content/dav/m....500.570.0.0.0

Children of Medal of Honor recipients are not subject to quotas if they are qualified and desire to attend the U.S. military academies.

On a little side note. If the member survives, all officers from generals to butter bars are required to salute the member first.
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 04-09-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Some Guy

That is a great book.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber jsbrown205's Avatar

rest in peace. You deserve it. Thank you

The Medal of Honor confers special privileges on its recipients, both by tradition and by law. By tradition, all other soldiers, sailors, Marines, and airmen—even higher-ranking officers up to the President of the United States—who are not also recipients of the Medal of Honor initiate the salute. In the event of an officer encountering an enlisted member of the military who has been awarded the Medal of Honor, officers by tradition salute not the person, but the medal itself, thus attempting to time their salute to coincide with the enlisted member's. By law, recipients have several benefits:
    Each Medal of Honor recipient may have his or her name entered on the Medal of Honor Roll (38 U.S.C. § 1560).

Each person whose name is placed on the Medal of Honor Roll is certified to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs as being entitled to receive the special pension of US$1027 per month. As of December 1, 2004, the pension is subject to cost-of-living increases.

Enlisted recipients of the Medal of Honor are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.

Recipients receive special entitlements to air transportation under the provisions of DOD Regulation 4515.13-R.

Special identification cards and commissary and exchange privileges are provided for Medal of Honor recipients and their eligible dependents.

Children of recipients are eligible for admission to the United States military academies without regard to the quota requirements.

Recipients receive a 10% increase in retired pay under 10 U.S.C. § 3991.

Those awarded the medal after October 23, 2002 also receive a Medal of Honor Flag. The law also specifies that all 143 living Medal of Honor recipients receive the flag along with all future recipients.(14 U.S.C. § 505).

As with all medals, retired personnel may wear the Medal of Honor on "appropriate" civilian clothing. Regulations also specify that recipients of the Medal of Honor are allowed to wear the uniform "at their pleasure" with standard restrictions on political, commercial, or extremist purposes; other former members of the armed forces may do so only at certain ceremonial occasions.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

George I just finished reading "Lone Survivor" (Marcus Luttrell) The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10: Marcus Luttrell,Patrick Robinson:

"In June 2005, Luttrell was part of a four-man SEAL team dropped into the mountains of Afghanistan as part of Operation Redwing, which involved capturing or killing a terrorist leader, responsible for the deaths of several civilians and U.S. military personnel. However, once in position, the team was unwittingly stumbled upon by three shepherds and their flock of goats. The team had to choose between killing the civilians (to protect themselves and the mission) or whether to release the shepherds (who would likely inform the local terrorist group, thought to be 80 to 200 strong). They chose to release the shepherds. Read the book to find out the disastrous results."

An excellant read and will open disscusions on ROE or "rules of Engagement" that our soldiers work under.

Thanks for the post
    I know the story that is told and what really happened is different. What really happened after he was shot is more graphic and detailed. I havent read the book... maybe it tells how it was.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Lone Surviviors is one of the best books I have ever read.

I heard about this story from a teacher and was so proud.

I cannot believe that people consider ball players to be hero.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post
    That is because people think that someone who hits a ball and gets paid $8,000,000 a year is a good thing.

Not someone who does something for others.

No wonder our society is so d!cked up.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer View Post

Pat Tillman isn't a hero? Bob Kalsu isn't a hero?

I have no problem putting these two guys in the hero category. The whole country isn't screwed up, there are a few problems with it, but the entire thing isn't broken.

Micheal Monsoor has raised the bar yet again on heroic acts. His story is very humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Pat Tillman isn't a hero? Bob Kalsu isn't a hero?

I have no problem putting these two guys in the hero category. The whole country isn't screwed up, there are a few problems with it, but the entire thing isn't broken.

Micheal Monsoor has raised the bar yet again on heroic acts. His story is very humbling.
    Pat Tillman is DEFINATLY a hero.

I'm not sure that I know who the other person is that you are referring to.

As for my statement, I was referring to people such as LeBron James, Derek Jeter, Manny Rameriez, Tom Brady, Barry Bonds, etc.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information