Thread: suggestions

Forum Member

Default suggestions

im a jr in high school 18... i was wondering if going into the military is a good choice if i want to go into the fire service... i am thinking of becoming some type of medic... feild or flight medic... just would like thoughts and suggestions..
    thanx
    buxton71e1

Forum Member

Cool

...ill be the first to tell you before everyone pounces on you... if you want to join the military only to go into the fire service... don't do it. join the military because you want to serve your country. if you want to become a medic, probably choose that route instead of the fire service in the military. there are quite a few marine/army/navy/air force types on here that can give you the pros and cons of each service from the "medic" standpoint. i would also highly suggest searching through some previous threads because just about anything you want to know about military fire service has been brought up... multiple times.

good luck in your ventures.

Forum Member

The previous poster is right. My husband is a firefighter for the Army and right now he works at Fort Rucker (pilot training post) and is part of a crew that does medivac. He is the firefighter on the crew but the most he has to fight a fire with is a fire extinguisher! He is there really as more support for the medic and assists there. They do work out at the stage fields at the fire stations but its rare to get an actual fire when the helicopters are landing... it does happen, but rarely. I have heard some of the other branches are better for actually getting to do fires. The other problem is that the Army is reassigning its fire fighters. We had a lot of guys given the job of plumber here a few months ago and there will be more of that happening over time. The medics seem to get around so you may want to look into that prospect if the military life is of interest to you. Hope you find what your looking for.

Forum Member

Firefighting in the Air Force is pretty good, fire prevention on all DOD instillations is really very good, so there arent a large number of fires, but you never know

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andyboyfire View Post
    Firefighting in the Air Force is pretty good, fire prevention on all DOD instillations is really very good, so there arent a large number of fires, but you never know
    ...regardless on what installation your on, you will probably get your fair share of mutual aids...

Thread Information