Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bad standings

Default bad standings

I left my prior Department in bad standings, I know since I didn't leave in good terms I can not get back on with that Department, The incident happened about 2 years ago, I want to go try to get on a different Volunteer Department but I fear since I didn't leave my prior Department in good standings I will not be able to become a member.

I have matured much since what happened, and now realize what was wrong, and have learned from my mistakes. See at the time I thought I lost interest in Firefighting, so it really wasn't bothering me to much about being kicked off the Department, but not its getting to me thats all I think about.

The problem was something that I posted on the My space website, and someone saw it and didn't like what was said something to our Chief. I told the chief my side of the story and took down the problem posting I made. I was suppose to have a special meeting to discuss my fait with the Department, but knew my time there was done with, I didn't attend that meeting (stupid me) and later a few days later I was asked to resign and turn in my equipment.

I know I did a lot of things wrong in the past. I hope to never make the mistakes again. I just want to get back into firefighting so bad, it hurts...But I don't know what to do when they ask me about my prior Firefighting experiences. Please give me words of encouragement and opinions about me wanting back in the fire service...

Thank you very much everyone.
    Ryan
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Ryan

Stand on your own two feet. Face it head on and give it your best.

No one else is going to do it for you.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MySpace is one of the biggest "mistakes" of many young people's lives. They just don't "get it".

Be upfront, be honest, own up to what you did and explain it. Give your potential department the respect of letting them know the truth. Letters of reference from people close to you, that know you, that are familiar with you, go a long way.

PS - "Nothing matters but the badge."
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Absolutely..............

I'm with Bones 100% on his views. We've had our issues with Myspace and Youtube here too. Yes, there is a fine line between free speech and defamation of Character at times, but our people are aware that they post there (and anywhere else on the net, including the FH Forums) at their own risk. There are those that go totally bananas when any type of control over the internet is mentioned, but I think sites such as myspace and youtube should be held accountable for their members actions, as well as the individuals themselves.

BTW, you asked for advice, and the first three posters represent a total of over 19,000 posts. Ann Landers or Dear Abby only wish they were that good..........
    Last edited by hwoods; 04-10-2008 at 09:58 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Good thing's happening

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I'm with Bones 100% on his views. We've had our issues with Myspace and Youtube here too. Yes, there is a fine line between free speech and defamation of Character at times, but our people are aware that they post there (and anywhere else on the net, including the FH Forums) at their own risk. There are those that go totally bananas when any type of control over the internet is mentioned, but I think sites such as myspace and youtube should be held accountable for their members actions, as well as the individuals themselves.

BTW, you asked for advice, and the first three posters represent a total of over 19,000 posts. Ann Landers or Dear Abby only wish they were that good..........
    Yeah so true Harve, FH got me so to say. I definitely was stupid and eventually from the Chief told me I have a anger problem. Anger problem is only set off when I think about things to much or trying thinking about the lil sis and whats going on with boys being that shes 16 but I don't want to get into that. And from then to now I hope that I have calmed down and have that anger problem under control because that's just not me because everyone I know would say im calm quiet cool and what ever else is there opinion. SO returning back on the subject as long as you own up to your mistakes and have learned from them you should be okay because we all make mistakes especially as kids or young adults and even as adults. But time has passed and now look at me going back to school to become a RN as well as trying to get on a career department but that wont happen for at least another year because of a medical problem =[.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post

Damn skippy, Chief!

MySpace and YouTube have been the downfall of many a foolish person.

The crap that people post on sites like that can literally haunt them for the rest of their lives.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and opinions. Pretty much your all saying If I get asked by hopefully my future department why I am no longer there, I should just suck it up and tell them the truth.

Here is what happened on my space, You all know that little poem going around about me being a firefighter and things to remember when dating me daughter? Something like that well anyways, I kind of changed the words around to don't mess with me because im a firefighter, a lot of people took it wrong and all hell broke loose. I was not really active with the Department at the time because of my work. I truly felt with that happening my days were done firefighting with them, I just couldn't face it with them face to face, with being kicked off the department, thats why I never showed for my special meeting. So Yeah I messed up big time, I'm no longer afraid to admit it. From now on when I mess up I man up to it and admit it.

I just don't want the Department I apply to thinking hey hes a bad egg, we don't want him on our Department for what he did in the past.

Thanks again guys.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Look on the bright side. At least your chief didn't hire 5 teenage girls to beat the crap out of you and film it!
    IAFF

Today's youth needs to learn and understand the power of Karma.

In the probie threads, there are those with DWI arrests and admitting they did arson and wonder why the cannot become firefighters...

As far as youtube/myspace.facebook et al...

Use your head and think with rational thought instead of emotion.

Remember the butterfly effect...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I might not have as much experience as most on here, but I have made at least one mild mistake that pertained to the department. As soon as I made the mistake I realized how horrible it really was and I immediately apologized and took all responsibilty and punishment. Granted the parties involved were extremely understanding and said not to worry about it, I am still ashamed, but it's life. Move on. And I was assured that the few people involved dont hate me or anything.........at least that I know of No, we are all very good friends and it was just a bad choice.

So in short, take full responsibility for what you did. It doesn't matter if there was any outside provocation, take full and complete responsibility and accept what is given to you. That is best.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information