Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Help

tkennedy

Default Need Help

I'm a Navy Chief Petty Officer with 16 years in. My question is, when I retire at 20 years is it still feasible to be hired as a full time firefighter? Any advice will be helpful.

Default You Bet

Chief....You only obstacle would be your mental state. By that I mean you have all the experience and maturity now all you need to do is apply. I think that that would be your only limitation....availability.
    Good luck...and thank you for your service to our Country.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    DamageControlman
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

About 2 years ago FDNY had a retired marine (20 years) go through the academy. He was 39 years old and the oldest probie they have had. In California it seems like most of the departments don't have age limits so you shouldn't have a problem at all. If you can, try to get your EMT cert while you are still in the service. This will make you much more marketable.

Thank you for your service to our country, stay safe and good luck with pursuing a fire service career.

PK

Quote Originally Posted by PK5343 View Post
    About 2 years ago FDNY had a retired marine (20 years) go through the academy. He was 39 years old and the oldest probie they have had. In California it seems like most of the departments don't have age limits so you shouldn't have a problem at all. If you can, try to get your EMT cert while you are still in the service. This will make you much more marketable.

Thank you for your service to our country, stay safe and good luck with pursuing a fire service career.

PK
    I was under the impression that one had to be 29 or younger in order to start with the FDNY. Is that not the case?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    I was under the impression that one had to be 29 or younger in order to start with the FDNY. Is that not the case?
    From the nyc.gov site:

"What are the age requirements?
    Answer: Pursuant to Section 54 of the New York Civil Service Law and Section 15-103 of the Administrative Code, you must be at least 17 and a half years of age by the end of the application period and you must not have reached your 29th birthday by the beginning of the application period to be eligible to take the Firefighter Examination. You must have reached your 21st birthday to be eligible for appointment."

"Can the age requirement be waived?
    Answer: No. The only exception to the age requirement is for persons who were engaged in military duty as defined in Section 243 of the New York State Military Law. They may deduct from their age the length of time spent in such military duty provided the total deduction for military duty does not exceed six years."

That would mean you can be up to 35 years old with 6 or more years of military service. Obviously this is just the FDNY and every other dept has their own requirements.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jemixxnyc;941769]From the nyc.gov site:

you must not have reached your 29th birthday by the beginning of the application period to be eligible to take the Firefighter Examination.

They may deduct from their age the length of time spent in such military duty provided the total deduction for military duty does not exceed six years."

You can be up to 29 when you apply. Then you have the time it takes to go through the testing process and the list is good for four years from when it is established. On top of that you can deduct 6 years for military service.

Forum Member

Hey Chief,
    I would give it a shot, I finally got hired on full time at smaller metro department, just started the academy monday and I turned 35 last Sep and we have another 2 people in my recruit class, one 37 and the other 38. Some departments will give you credit for some of your military time towards retirement. I'm in the Air Guard myself and am going to be submitting paperwork to see if they will credit my active duty time.
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by PK5343 View Post
    About 2 years ago FDNY had a retired marine (20 years) go through the academy. He was 39 years old and the oldest probie they have had. - He was actually appointed on his 40th birthday.
    Chief,
    Where do you see yourself when you get out? A lot of west coast departments tend to not have a maximum age requirement. And I would even venture to say it is not uncommon for departments out west to hire firefighters in their late 30's.

So I'm saying there's a chance....
    Chief Lepore has a good blurb on that if you do a search of his posts.

My question for you Chief is; target fleet?

Good luck,
    bam

tkennedy

Default Thank You

I appreciate all the helpful responses. I do have my EMT-B cert and I will stay up with it so it doesn't expire. I have also pursued off duty education in Fire Science. I want to thank all of you for going into harm's way and protecting all of us!

Very Respectfully,

DCC(SW) Tom Kennedy
    Ship's Fire Marshal
    USS THACH (FFG-43)
    San Diego, CA.

Thread Information