Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Question Regarding Pneumatic Air Tools

I am from a small rural department with VERY little funding. We have not had any pneumatic air tools until just recently we have decided to use some old spare bottles, regulators, and an air chisel. Our chief has heard that once you use these bottles for the air tools that they must be designated just for the use of air tools and taken out of service for SCBA use. Said that the oils in the air tools can come back into the bottle. I am honestly both ways on this matter, I believe that with the kinds of pressure inside the bottle that it would be nearly impossible for the oils to get in.. but on the other hand a fellow firefighter said that if the pressures are getting low and the bottle is cold that it could create a slight, brief vaccuum.

So tell me, wiser gentleman.. should we take these bottles out of service or are they not going to harm us? Any kind of information to back-up your opinions and thoughts would be ideal. Thank you in advance.

Our job has this policy, they have removed the hangers from the bottles and painted them green for use with air tools. However I am with you, 4500 psi vs a few drops of air tool oil? Sounds more like MFGRS trying to sell things than actual safety hazards. Likewise, if that air cyinder is contaminated with air tool oil, the air is still better than what you are breathing at a job.

Forum Member

In 35yrs... this is the absolute first time I have ever heard this.

If I may question it some... if you use a cascade system as an airsource... does the entire system need to relegated to "only air tool service"? If you fill the "air tool service" only bottles with that cascade system or compressor... because there may be a resdiual amount of oil on the threads or in the bottle... then the entire cascade system or compressor and all the bottles that have been filled are now "demoted" to "air tool service only".

Somewhat blown out of proportion?? maybe??... but who or what authority has said that bottles used for "air service" can only be used for that purpose?

I just need to know... fact or fiction???

Quote Originally Posted by Isitjustme View Post
    Somewhat blown out of proportion?? maybe??... but who or what authority has said that bottles used for "air service" can only be used for that purpose?

I just need to know... fact or fiction???
    Fact, FDNY Mask service unit for one.

Thinking all the way thru:Anyone who has ever run an air tool knows that LONG before the pressure in the supply line drops to a level where a vaccumn could be formed the tool stops working.Add in the fact that the tool oil would have to pass back thru the regulator diaphram and what do you have? A NON issue.If you are THAT worried about it just run an air line off the rigs air brake system.In my experience we run the bottles down to 500-750psi and change them out.No designated bottles but most air tool ops are off the rigs supply. T.C.

Thread Information