Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Permanently Removed

Default Hello... and where did the snorkels go?

Hello -

First off I hope this is the appropriate place for this posting...

I grew up wanting to be a firefighter (I was a child of "Emergency!") but in the end my career went elsewhere, and for a variety of reasons I was unable to join the local volunteer department. Maybe someday I can.

So I hope you don't mind a few questions from time to time from a non-firefighter with great interest in the profession.

My first question: I've noticed both with the local departments in my area (St. Paul, MN) and also what I've seen when I traveled, that there don't seem to be any true snorkels anymore. What happened??? That was always my favorite apparatus. Our local volunteer departement got rid of their's and so did Minneapolis and St. Paul (from what I can tell). All they have now are quints or just ladder trucks with the basket on the end.

I remember seeing them on "E!" and lots of news stories. They seem like such a unique and usable tool that I wondered why I don't see them anymore. It even looks like L.A. County has none of them either.

Was there a reason for this?

Thanks!

Mike

P.S. I just want to say that I admire the heck out of each and every one of you that is, was, or is becoming a firefighter. It is truely a great thing that you do and we (civilians) can never repay what you do for us. So from just one guy, THANKS for all you do!

Permanently Removed

BUMP...

Now that I proved I'm not a spammer, I wanted this to get moved up!

Thread Information