Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: problems

MembersZone Subscriber

Default problems

In my department we are having big problems. A select few have over turned the chiefs and have kicked them out of the dept. and have got the ones they wanted in. They have also stopped going by the by-laws and are making the rules up as they go to beniefit them. I was just wanting to know what needs to be done because they have kicked everyone out that wanted the old chiefs in.

Thanks if you could help us

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fordf15091 View Post
    In my department we are having big problems. A select few have over turned the chiefs and have kicked them out of the dept. and have got the ones they wanted in. They have also stopped going by the by-laws and are making the rules up as they go to beniefit them. I was just wanting to know what needs to be done because they have kicked everyone out that wanted the old chiefs in.

UNIONIZE!!!!!!!!

WTF??? How about a little more info?
    IAFF

Step up and start becoming a leader yourself rather than being a sheep like the rest of them.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

MembersZone Subscriber

if you stand up to them they will just kick you out for trying to divide the department. We are a small vol. department with about 25-30 active members now. Nothing goes before the membership for the members to vote on its all done behind closed doors during secret meetings now and it has never been that way.

Forum Member

if you stand up to them they will just kick you out for trying to divide the department. We are a small vol. department with about 25-30 active members now. Nothing goes before the membership for the members to vote on its all done behind closed doors during secret meetings now and it has never been that way.
    What you are describing is not all that unusual. It's not unusual also for members to just sit back and take it, sometimes leaving the department because of it.

When you say that 'nothing goes before the membership for the members to vote on,' are you sure that it requires a membership vote at all?

What may need to happen, if it is as bad as you suggest, is a complete review of your organization documents and actions by an attorney, including the by-laws, and IF there is really a substantial amount of deviation from the organization rules then a suit could be filed against the leadership. Talk about dividing a department....

Could be that just a letter from an attorney may be enough to draw them back into following the rules, if they are not.

Sounds like you have problems... Who are the ones having secret meetings? What does the rest of the membership think? I would think the membership could overcome this problem if they wanted to do something about it. Is you dept private or a twp run dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

The Chiefs are making all disions not the board of directors and everything voted on by the board has to be approved before the membership.

It sounds like your members are in control of your department. Our department used to be this way untill our township realized the problems related with it. The members of our department voted on all postitions every year. Our township now hires and fires the Chief, because of the problems related with the buddy electing system. The chief has control of his officers and firefighters now.

Sounds like you need to talk to sombody that is at your city, township, or village level and tell them the problems with the current system, go in with all the information about this and advise them of the problems this creates and maybe if you and the majority of your brothers do this, it may change. Do this by having all your information ready along with the pro's and con's of each process, for example, pro's and cons of buddy elections and local goverment control.
    Pere Marquette Fire Department
    "First in Last Out Crew"
    Engine 2911

It's got nothing to do with standing up to them. You can stand up and be a leader to the rest of your crew without causing a mess. To do this, see any book on how to be a leader.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well...........

Ford, You probably don't want to tell too much in the open forum. Shoot me a PM or email and I'll try to help. I've been in your shoes a couple of times and I know it isn't easy.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information