1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    washington
    Posts
    7

    Default Leather Helmet Help

    I have a newer N6A, and i am trying to get it to fit as best i can. I wanted to know how to remove the impact cap to reduce the the wieght? Any help would be apreciated. LEATHER FOREVER!

  2. #2
    B Shifter
    rjtoc2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dallas/Fort Worth
    Posts
    209

    Default Cairns

    Food for thought about modifying your helmet... Worker's Comp and some insurance policies will try place fault on you if you are injured wearing/using something that was modifed in such a manner that does NOT meet the manufacturer's specs.
    rjtoc2

    career Fire Captain
    IAFF member
    Native Texan (by way of New Orleans)


    ***The above post (s) is/are MY opinion and do/does not necessarily reflect the views, positions, or opinions of neither my employer nor my IAFF Local.***

    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make counter accusations.

    A lack of planning on your behalf does NOT create an emergency on my behalf.

    When all is said and done, alot more is said than done

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    What does removing the impact cap to reduce weight have to do with the fit? And listen to the brother from Texas. You get hurt with that (unauthorized) modified helmet, and you can not only kiss your career goodbye, but also all your hard-earned money because YOU are the one thats gonna pay for your medical expenses and lost wages due to time lost. And thats all if you are lucky.

    Dont be stupid. Leave the impact cap alone.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    its a piece of plastic, the weight savings is minimal. get rid of that carved eagle front piece holder, and the googles first!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Mfire138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    31

    Default

    If you try to remove the impact cap likely you will destroy the helmet. Leather helmets are heavy.......you'll get used to it

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    ........................................
    Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Speedway, IN USA
    Posts
    137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    I don't want to work for any job that is going to fire me for the wrong gear. Now if they tell me I can't use it, that's one thing, but to get fired?? Are you serious?? I say F-That!! You guys must get over this NFPA stuff. If you do get hurt or killed just make sure they throw your dept. issued lid next to you and get the other one away. Safety Sallies......How many people have been killed or injured from head injuries due to a "non-compliant" helmet?? Where are the statistics? My 5A works just fine and it does so for hundreds if not thousands more firemen all over this country!
    I may be a "Safety sally" but at least my wife and kid will get paid if I get killed. Think about someone besides yourself for a change, get over the macho bull ****.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mistake On The Lake
    Posts
    470

    Default

    I don't think a claim has ever been denied for a 5a, simply because it's still as the manufacturer intended it. However, buying an n6a, and then removing the imact cap, will probably screw you in terms of benefits, because YOU intentionally modified your gear, in a way that made it not fit the manufacturers specs.

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewIrons View Post
    ...I wanted to know how to remove the impact cap to reduce the the wieght? Any help would be apreciated. LEATHER FOREVER!
    If you really want to save weight, buy a helmet that is not leather.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    I don't want to work for any job that is going to fire me for the wrong gear. Now if they tell me I can't use it, that's one thing, but to get fired?? Are you serious?? I say F-That!! You guys must get over this NFPA stuff. If you do get hurt or killed just make sure they throw your dept. issued lid next to you and get the other one away. Safety Sallies......How many people have been killed or injured from head injuries due to a "non-compliant" helmet?? Where are the statistics? My 5A works just fine and it does so for hundreds if not thousands more firemen all over this country!
    There is a big difference between using a 5A as it came from the factory and taking an N6A and ripping the guts out thus making an unauthorized modification. F-that? Forget the NFPA stuff? Yeah sure, just as soon as the lawyers downtown and the insurance adjusters do And cut back on the caffeine there, Francis...

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Anyone call's me francis, and ill kill em!

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fire1035 View Post
    I may be a "Safety sally" but at least my wife and kid will get paid if I get killed. Think about someone besides yourself for a change, get over the macho bull ****.
    To quote Gonzo: BING-FREAKIN-O!!!!!!!!!

    ehs7554.....Do you have children? How about a mortgage? What happens if you get killed wearing that non-compliant lid???? How's your wife going to react when the Authority Having Jurisdiction sends her a letter saying "Oh, by the way, all that money you should be receiving, well about that, there's a slight problem......"

    It's one thing to be wearing an N5A that you are authorized to wear, or was assigned to you by your organization.....It's an entirely different matter to buy an N6A and remove the impact liner. Safety Sally has NOTHING to do with it.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    .....................................
    Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

  14. #14
    Gone.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic319 View Post
    If you really want to save weight, buy a helmet that is not leather.
    Or buy a Phenix Leather.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Posts
    933

    Default

    .............................
    Last edited by ehs7554; 01-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    If you wear the helmet just as pictured in your avatar, you are not in compliance with NFPA..Yeah you probably carry the goggles in your pocket. that's where mine are too!
    Wrong...that is an N6A and it's compliant, and I wear my EES googles on the helmet, not in my pocket, but thanks for asking. You are still missing the entire point: the original poster
    has an N6A that he wants to take the impact cap out of..THAT is what will get him in trouble if something happens, because he will have made an improper modification that will void the warranty of the helmet. if he doesn't want the impact cap he should endeavor to purchase an N5A like you have. Do you understand now? And I'm sorry if my being a "Safety Sally" is so distasteful to you, but as a career company officer and a volunteer chief officer I have the obligation to send my firefighters home safe after the job is done...and one of those firefighters happens to be my own son.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    MassFireGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Conservative's Hell
    Posts
    663

    Default

    I am going to have to agree with Mr. Kool-aide on this one. I get tired of people calling the NFPA police. And you are right, the people that preach this crap do not fully adhere to the NFPA. Or maybe they do? All it takes is for you to alter any of your gear to anything other than the facotry set up to be non compliant. Do you have all the manufacture stickers that came on the helmet? Did you add a decal? Bourkes? I hope you wear you hood. Your chin strap better of be on when you die.

    So if you don't practice what you preach, don't tell me about how my family won't get benefits. Don't spread your fascist BS around these forums. If they do not want to pay benefits, believe they will find a reason not matter how hard-core NFPA you are. The helmet was good enough to kept my grandfather, father, and father-in-law safe. And they fought fires in the 'glory days".

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    MassFireGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Conservative's Hell
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KnightnPBIArmor View Post
    Wrong...that is an N6A and it's compliant, and I wear my EES googles on the helmet, not in my pocket, but thanks for asking. You are still missing the entire point: the original poster
    has an N6A that he wants to take the impact cap out of..THAT is what will get him in trouble if something happens, because he will have made an improper modification that will void the warranty of the helmet. if he doesn't want the impact cap he should endeavor to purchase an N5A like you have. Do you understand now? And I'm sorry if my being a "Safety Sally" is so distasteful to you, but as a career company officer and a volunteer chief officer I have the obligation to send my firefighters home safe after the job is done...and one of those firefighters happens to be my own son.
    I hope you did not put those bourke shields on yourself.

  19. #19
    Forum Member
    KnightnPBIArmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Beautiful downtown Hortense, GA
    Posts
    745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I hope you did not put those bourke shields on yourself.
    Nope, they came mounted from the factory, as was the EES goggle mounts.

  20. #20
    Forum Member
    clancyxdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I am going to have to agree with Mr. Kool-aide on this one. I get tired of people calling the NFPA police. And you are right, the people that preach this crap do not fully adhere to the NFPA. Or maybe they do? All it takes is for you to alter any of your gear to anything other than the facotry set up to be non compliant. Do you have all the manufacture stickers that came on the helmet? Did you add a decal? Bourkes? I hope you wear you hood. Your chin strap better of be on when you die.

    So if you don't practice what you preach, don't tell me about how my family won't get benefits. Don't spread your fascist BS around these forums. If they do not want to pay benefits, believe they will find a reason not matter how hard-core NFPA you are. The helmet was good enough to kept my grandfather, father, and father-in-law safe. And they fought fires in the 'glory days".
    MassFireGuy,

    I've found that there are a couple of forum members on here that work for half-assed industrial fire brigades and believe their Walmart-inspired employee rights and benefits apply to everyone on here. See here and here. Apparently the Spectacle Police's jurisdiction has expanded to include helmets. Oh, joy.

  21. #21
    Forum Member
    MassFireGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Conservative's Hell
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clancyxdogg View Post
    MassFireGuy,

    I've found that there are a couple of forum members on here that work for half-assed industrial fire brigades and believe their Walmart-inspired employee rights and benefits apply to everyone on here. See here and here. Apparently the Spectacle Police's jurisdiction has expanded to include helmets. Oh, joy.
    Nicely put. I especially like the "Walmart-inspired employee rights and benefits ."

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    clancyxdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ehs7554 View Post
    Who, when and where was a guy denied benefits???????? How many brothers in Worcestor, NY, or maybe charleston where wearing non-nfpa helmets? How many have been denied claims??? I want facts people. ...When was the last time a firefighter, working under no influence of drugs or alcohol, who was a LODD was denied benefits because of teir gear?? WHEN?? There are rural volunteer dept.'s that are lucky if they can get helmets made in the 90's and gear that fits and is up to date. You think they are going to be denied state and relief assoc benefits???
    We're still waiting.......

  23. #23
    Forum Member
    clancyxdogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Still waiting...

  24. #24
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mistake On The Lake
    Posts
    470

    Default

    It's not a matter of not having a helmet that's approved by NFPA. It's taking that 6a, and ripping the whole inside of it out, so it sits lower, and weighs less. He's taking out the parts, of that particular helmet model, that offer the protection to begin with.

    If he added bourkes or something, no big deal, i doubt most insurers or the federal or state government will deny benefits. If they find he took the guts out of his helmet, for an absolutely rediculous reason like, he wanted a lighter helmet, so he bought the heaviest one out there, and now wants to rip it apart and wear just a shell, I can see where they may have problems with that.

  25. #25
    Forum Member
    MassFireGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Conservative's Hell
    Posts
    663

    Default

    Here we go again.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. leather helmet ?
    By robbinkley in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2007, 01:45 AM
  2. Best Leather Helmet?
    By JuniorHero in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 07:35 PM
  3. Leather helmet
    By truckman38 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 05:04 PM
  4. leather helmet
    By wic1269 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-04-2002, 07:33 PM
  5. used leather helmet
    By engine117 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2001, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register