Thread: Safer

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer

SAFER is less than 2 months away, last year we scored with a member recruitment program and additional insurance. What where you awarded for?

What worked last year?

Any fresh ideas for 2008?

Forum Member

I'm still waiting to hear anything. I guess no DJ means it is still in there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Latest round of SAFER Awards Up

The newest round of SAFER awards is posted. Congrats to all!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

This is my first year with writing grants. I too am looking for ideas on what I could write a SAFER grant for.
    We are a small volley department so we would be applying for R&R.

Any ideas of what kinds of programs would work and what would be funded?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am also intrested in applying for recrutement and retension through the SAFER grant. I have never applied for a SAFER grant and I am not sure where to start. I am intrested in some ideas for a small vol. dept. Any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Default Hmm...

With todays awards there is only about 10mil left to award. Still no 1199a, 10 Qs, or DJ. Not sure if hope is lost yet or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
    With todays awards there is only about 10mil left to award. Still no 1199a, 10 Qs, or DJ. Not sure if hope is lost yet or not.
    We are in the same position here. Hope to hear something soon, hopefully the 10 q's and 1199a. We have two plans, one if we get the grant, another if we don't. Time is running out for us to make a decision.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

We were awarded a 2007 Safer Grant....in the 3rd round. The following is what we were awarded for 40 volunteers under the Retention and Recruitment Area:

Small scale commercial campaign $1080 (yr 1), $740 (yr 2), $440 (yr 3&4)
    Child's T Shirt Campaign (ages 2-18) with slogan for volunteering $7125 (all yr 1)
    Marketing Campaign - flyers, newsletters, etc $750 (yr 1), $250 (yrs 2, 3 & 4)
    t-shirts for members of our Jr. Firefighters $280 (yr 1), $120 (yr 2), $80 (yr 3&4)
    Class A Dress Uniform for members with over 1 yr of service (listed under length of service awards) $20,000 (yr 1), $4000 (yr 2), $1500 (yrs 3&4)
    T-shirt & sweatshirt for all members after 3 mo of service $1600(yr 1), $360 (yr 2), $160 (yr 3), $120(yr 4)
    Length of Service Pins, Special Accomplishment & rank insignia pins $6700 all yr 1 (this is for yrs 5, 10, 15, 20 and a life member award at 25 yrs as well as pins for accomplishments and rank)

And as an FYI we requested a permanent sign (not LED or digital...just a plain old sign) and it was denied. We also requested funding to provide a sitting area in the department that was denied....so no couches or pool table!

Hope this helps all you hoping to get a grant.
    John & Sheila
    McMechen Volunteer Fire Department
    "Always Ready Always Faithful"

www.mcmechenvfd.com
    jdavis@mcmechenvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can anyone share their LED sign narrative for safer

I am looking for a narrative for a funded LED sign using Safer grant funds. Any do's and don't info would also be helpful. Please email to bweil@nocfa.com. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I was thinking about coats and t-shirts, hats, etc...Class A uniforms. The community here is so small that everyone knows everyone. So I am not sure if a campaign of flyers and advertising would work or not.

Has anyone been awarded in the SAFER grant for a junior program?

Forum Member

My department is applying for uniforms and maybe Honor Guard uniforms/accessories. Appreciate it if anyone has a narrative on Class A's & B's for a volunteer department they could send me. I need a good starting point... oh, and preferably a winning narrative. Thanks!

dallas@deepwaterfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by RJAbbott View Post
    I was thinking about coats and t-shirts, hats, etc...Class A uniforms. The community here is so small that everyone knows everyone. So I am not sure if a campaign of flyers and advertising would work or not.

Has anyone been awarded in the SAFER grant for a junior program?
    Not sure of your specifics, but the NVFC is offering grants for Juniors with matching $$ to their dept's, the deadline is May 15th:

"The National Junior Firefighter Program is offering ten $5,000 scholarships to junior firefighters nationwide who demonstrate commitment and dedication to their local junior firefighter program and the fire service. The departments of each of the winning students will also receive a grant of $5,000. The deadline for applications is May 15 at 5 p.m. EDT. The scholarships and department grants will be awarded during Firehouse Expo in July."

http://nvfc.org/index.php?id=1083
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information