Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    For us, there had better be a Starbucks between the hotel and the plant. How can you expect to sit through two days of pre-con meeting without a good java.
    There aint nothing between Toyne's hotel and the plant except for pigs and corn. And beer. Lots and lots of beer. And Fried Gizzards.

And dont order a "Philly Cheese Steak" at the bar/grill where the fried gizzards are. When I asked the waitress what it was (merely for amusement's sake) I almost fainted, and then had to inform the cook that the South Philly Mob would have strung him by his gonads from the Ben Franklin Bridge for doing that to a perfectly good Cheese Steak.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thank god then that our last trucks have been Generals, there's a Starbucks right down the road. Probably placed there for us west coast guys, just kidding.

Tony,

If you drink coffee black, which I do, that Tim Hortons stuff don't taste so good. Apparently it's all in the cream.

We have four Toynes now, 3 with CAFS, and the other without.
    The trucks themselves have been very good. Good enough, that we ordered 3 more. (and no, they DO NOT have the CAFS).

The next time anyone is coming to Omaha, please let me know.

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    The trucks themselves have been very good. Good enough, that we ordered 3 more. (and no, they DO NOT have the CAFS).

FM1
    Did you have a bad experience with CAFS or just don't need it on the new rigs?

MembersZone Subscriber

FM1
    I'll try and remember the invitation, but our next trip (mid-inspection) will probably in early fall.

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit
    Did you have a bad experience with CAFS or just don't need it on the new rigs?
    Yes to both. It's noted in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02
    I'll try and remember the invitation, but our next trip (mid-inspection) will probably in early fall.
    Cool, let me know.

Forum Member

Post Gladstone "Blue"

Now fellas, I am a "traditionalist" when it comes to red apparatus. But, that blue is something else. If anyone knows a Gladstone firefighter, have them forward that engine to Code 3 Collectibles. I'd hafta put it right next to my Haverstraw engine!!!

Be safe and buckle up!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes to both. It's noted in another thread.

Cool, let me know.
    I'll do that are you OFD or another local FD?

Forum Member

Thank god then that our last trucks have been Generals, there's a Starbucks right down the road. Probably placed there for us west coast guys, just kidding.
    You could add this to your next truck spec :

"The manufacturer shall maintain an adequate supply of fresh coffee available on premises to all members of the fire department during any factory visit. Coffee shall be 100% Arabica, made fresh every half-hour, and served at temperatures between 140-170 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream and sugar shall also be supplied.

The fire department reserves the right to reject any coffee deemed 'swill' or 'skank bean' by its representative(s)."

Forum Member

Nice, I like it!!

I'm about to start on an aerial spec, I'll have to slip that in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    I'll do that are you OFD or another local FD?
    LOL, Neither. FIREMECH1 = FIre and REscue MECHanic1.
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 05-14-2008 at 02:46 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Did you go Omaha via Houston like we had to? Hehe T.C.
    Southwest via Midway (my preference) or Northwest via Cincinnati.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    Thar ain't any u dat dag gum sissy frenchie stuff out here in rural Ioway.

You go to Toyne and you're in farm country not idling about at Seattle Pike Place Market.

Most of the convience stores (in the area see Casey's Convience Stores) now do carry such over priced coffee. Go to Ames or Des Moines if you need to blow $4 on Starbucks.
    Amen! Tammy makes an excellent pot of coffee.

One thing I truly enjoy as I go in and out of there is the farm country contrast. For example, you could fit a whole Ford or Chevrolet agency in a back corner of the John Deere agency's shop.

Forum Member

Nice, I like it!!

I'm about to start on an aerial spec, I'll have to slip that in there.
    I just finished an aerial spec a few months ago. You have a big job ahead. Good luck in your process. If I can be of assistance, send me a PM.

And don't forget the HOT BEVERAGE REFRESHMENT section

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    You could add this to your next truck spec :

"The manufacturer shall maintain an adequate supply of fresh coffee available on premises to all members of the fire department during any factory visit. Coffee shall be 100% Arabica, made fresh every half-hour, and served at temperatures between 140-170 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream and sugar shall also be supplied.

The fire department reserves the right to reject any coffee deemed 'swill' or 'skank bean' by its representative(s)."

Don't go 1/2 way. You have the start for your rehab compartment. Take it with you. Add a compact microwave and refrigerator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey, I was one of the members of Gladstone that worked on this truck. It has been in service for almost a year. It's a great truck although we have had problems with the chassis, this however is not Toyne's fault. Mostly due to the DPF system which is mandatory on today's diesel's.
    As far as I know one individual did send this truck to Code 3 but we have not heard anything back from them. If you are looking for quick turn-a-round times on a totally Custom truck then Toyne would be your choice. We ordered this truck in November and had it in service the following April. The guys at Toyne were great to work with and continue to be helpful.
    I came from another department that had the traditional red fire trucks, didn't think I would ever get used to this blue stuff. Although now I kind of like it, don't tell any of my co-worker's though.

Forum Member

Default Rear mount pumps

I have seen a lot about rear mount pumps but I am still concerned about people running into the operator on primary (interstate) and secondary roads. Whats everyones opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFDCAPT View Post
    I have seen a lot about rear mount pumps but I am still concerned about people running into the operator on primary (interstate) and secondary roads. Whats everyones opinion.
    I haven't been run over yet.

If you alter your operations to block in a manner that allows your operator to see the approaching traffic, you can operate a rear mount safely and not have issues. Personally, I don't like my top mounts that we also run on the interstate as I'm up on that panel and it will take me longer to run like hell than it would if I was at a side mount or rear mount. Regardless, riding out getting hit while standing on a top mount panel is not on my to do list.

Truthfully - everytime I have a protection line deployed on a roadway that may still have traffic flowing, I'm at that panel for maybe thirty seconds, setting the throttle, opening the discharge, and recirculating. We don't have near enough staffing to allow for a man to stand and stare at the gauges on the panel.

This debate has the potential to get long.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

To me, this says it all:

I'm sorry - I know I'm a geek, but that plumbing & linkage layout is beautiful. From what I've seen, Toyne does an exceptional job at this, and the Gladstone rig (above) was no exception.

jongage73:
    Nice work on the rig - it's a very nice piece. Glad...er...Happy to hear it's working out for you.

Forum Member

Blitz,

I think I took that exact same pic at FDIC. I too was very impressed with that pump compartment, very nice indeed!!

Thread Information