Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gladstone's Toyne at FDIC

OK so when we were at Toyne two weeks ago for our pre-build and we took a hard look at the blue Gladstone, MO rearmount getting ready for the FDIC. I'm interested in what people thought. I've seen a few pages of Peirce PUC bashing, but what about other builders?

We were again very pleased with the quality of the work we saw at Toyne and thought our pre-build went very well despite a lack of sleep caused by the airlines and our tight schedules. Our new rearmount RP will feature many similarities with Gladstone's (no not Blue!) They also were sending a reverse view topmount pumper to FDIC. I'm interested to see if our thoughts are mirrored here?

Forum Member

It appeared to be a very well thought out apparatus and of course since it was a show truck, the fit and finish was very good.

The things I would want to know is:
    How many Toyne vehicles in your area?
    How many Toyne vehicles of your configuration built?
    Have you looked at any that have been in service for 10 years?
    Who is handling your service?
    Do you have a mobile unit from your service center available at will?
    Did you require any "one off" or "odd ball" configuration that they have never done?
    Did you specify a distinct bumper to bumper warranty?
    Do you have local service and warranty work available on your chassis?
    If you are happy with any of these questions, you will probably end up with a good servicable unit. The Toyne's I've seen look very good, although I have not had feedback on vehicles that have been in service for a while.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by zfdtruckman View Post
    It appeared to be a very well thought out apparatus and of course since it was a show truck, the fit and finish was very good.

The things I would want to know is:
    How many Toyne vehicles in your area?
    How many Toyne vehicles of your configuration built?
    Have you looked at any that have been in service for 10 years?
    Who is handling your service?
    Do you have a mobile unit from your service center available at will?
    Did you require any "one off" or "odd ball" configuration that they have never done?
    Did you specify a distinct bumper to bumper warranty?
    Do you have local service and warranty work available on your chassis?
    If you are happy with any of these questions, you will probably end up with a good servicable unit. The Toyne's I've seen look very good, although I have not had feedback on vehicles that have been in service for a while.
    We are quite confident in the service contract/provider/agreement. We did make sure these things were well thought out and crafted before awarding the bid. My questions really weren't to dig up anything on Toyne, yet see what people thought of some of their ideas and practices. We're quite confident in our decision to award them our bid.

Forum Member

We are quite confident in the service contract/provider/agreement. We did make sure these things were well thought out and crafted before awarding the bid. My questions really weren't to dig up anything on Toyne, yet see what people thought of some of their ideas and practices. We're quite confident in our decision to award them our bid.
    Sounds like you did your homework well. I have not seen a Toyne vehicle I would not like to own, although they have only been show trucks as they do not have deliveries in my area. The fit and finish and construction details seem to be well within what I have seen from any other manufacturer. As long as you have designed the vehicle to provide easy access to all serviceable items, you will probably end up with a good unit.

Forum Member

Smile

we have two roynes and have no problems

Forum Member

I thought the truck was very well built. The attention to detail everywhere including the pump compartment, from the plumbing to the valve linkages. Very well done. Excellent fit and finish. Nice rig too!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Similarities and Differences

We were fortunate that the Gladstone truck was at the factory when we were, as it gave us the opportunity to see a nearly finished rearmount with many similarities to what we specced.

We actually really liked the speedy dri hopper as compared to our top coffin compartment with pipe and hose config. This made for a convenient change for all parties. Our wheelwell SCBA compartments will be like the Gladstone's for the most part, other than removing the vertical dividers as we'll use the space for extinguishers and other equipment while the SCBA cylinders are mounted in a rack over the right rear wheel.

Our compartment config will be basically the same, though our pump panel will be in the officers side rear and will use more handwheels (if not exclusively). We originally didn't want any push/pull actuators, but Toyne's were beefier and shorter than those we've grown weary of, so three smaller valves may get them to save some panel space.

Our pump evidentially will sit lower in the frame which coupled with the lack of the deck gun piping, allows for a lower hosebed. The lower hosebed means the covers will be recessed below the coffin compartments 10 inches or so to make it so a FF need not reach into the coffin so far below the level of his/her feet.

No crosslays, speedlays or mattydales on our RP, two donut preconnects off the front bumper, one in the left rear comp. and everything else in the main hosebed.

I appreciate the comments here, as I wished I gotten the chance to be at the FDIC. Glad to see positive comments on Toyne in general as while I'm confident, I grow weary of our guys asking "who is building our truck?"

Forum Member

Any pics of this rig??

MembersZone Subscriber

No full truck shots as my camera didn't seem to like the lighting, but I have a couple of shot of the oil dry bin and the wheelwell compartments. The roll out oil dry bin reportedly holds 50-60#. You can just make out the hopper chute hole in the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Forum Member

Smile

i think toyne builds a very good truck if u look at the ones being sold on the intrnet used still look good as new we have one that is 10years old and are going to replace it with a new toyne

MembersZone Subscriber

A neighboring department bought two Toyne pumpers a few years back and are fairly pleased with them. The only problems they had were a few minor electrical problems. Other than that, they seem to be quality rigs.
    Assistant Chief
    Elberta Volunteer Fire Department
    http://www.elbertafire.com

"Find a purpose in life so big, it will challenge every capacity to be at your best."

Forum Member

The only thing I've heard negative is concerning the "trips from hell" if you have to fly to their facility.

Of course, this has nothing to do with Toyne. But if driving is an option to their facility, I'd give it a strong look. One committee I know of discussed renting an RV and driving there.

Back to their trucks, neighboring department owns one and I would have no reservations about owning one myself. They seem to be one of the true custom builders.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    The only thing I've heard negative is concerning the "trips from hell" if you have to fly to their facility.
    I had no problems at all- Flew into Omaha, Ne. then rental car about 2 hr. drive to the plant.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Did you go Omaha via Houston like we had to? Hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Obviously, this has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the rigs, but if you come through Ames, there is a BBQ/country style cooking/ice cream parlor (the name escapes me) that is worth the stop. My only caution is to have the driver eat in moderation, as the rest of the people in the vehicle will be passed out like stuffed pigs...
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Default Starbucks

For us, there had better be a Starbucks between the hotel and the plant. How can you expect to sit through two days of pre-con meeting without a good java.

MembersZone Subscriber

here are a few pics off of the Toyne web-site

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

A double - double or triple - triple from Tims, Just don't accept a free donut hole and get somebody fired. I'll bet old Tim rolled over when he heard about that from wherever he wound up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Obviously, this has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the rigs, but if you come through Ames, there is a BBQ/country style cooking/ice cream parlor (the name escapes me) that is worth the stop. My only caution is to have the driver eat in moderation, as the rest of the people in the vehicle will be passed out like stuffed pigs...

That would have to be Hickory Park out on Duff. Go Cyclones!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    For us, there had better be a Starbucks between the hotel and the plant. How can you expect to sit through two days of pre-con meeting without a good java.

Thar ain't any u dat dag gum sissy frenchie stuff out here in rural Ioway.

You go to Toyne and you're in farm country not idling about at Seattle Pike Place Market.

Most of the convience stores (in the area see Casey's Convience Stores) now do carry such over priced coffee. Go to Ames or Des Moines if you need to blow $4 on Starbucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    There aint nothing between Toyne's hotel and the plant except for pigs and corn. And beer. Lots and lots of beer. And Fried Gizzards.

And dont order a "Philly Cheese Steak" at the bar/grill where the fried gizzards are. When I asked the waitress what it was (merely for amusement's sake) I almost fainted, and then had to inform the cook that the South Philly Mob would have strung him by his gonads from the Ben Franklin Bridge for doing that to a perfectly good Cheese Steak.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thank god then that our last trucks have been Generals, there's a Starbucks right down the road. Probably placed there for us west coast guys, just kidding.

Tony,

If you drink coffee black, which I do, that Tim Hortons stuff don't taste so good. Apparently it's all in the cream.

Forum Member

We have four Toynes now, 3 with CAFS, and the other without.
    The trucks themselves have been very good. Good enough, that we ordered 3 more. (and no, they DO NOT have the CAFS).

The next time anyone is coming to Omaha, please let me know.

FM1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    The trucks themselves have been very good. Good enough, that we ordered 3 more. (and no, they DO NOT have the CAFS).

FM1
    Did you have a bad experience with CAFS or just don't need it on the new rigs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

FM1
    I'll try and remember the invitation, but our next trip (mid-inspection) will probably in early fall.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information