Worldwide Menace

Default Forcing a vehicle trunk

Does anyone have any tried and true methods to force a vehicle trunk using a TnT tool and Halligan on an older model vehicle?

we had difficulty popping a trunk today on a `79 Cutlass Sierra. we tried putting the spike through the lock, but that didn't do anything, so we ended up putting the fork to the lock latch and after about 5 minutes of pounding and prying we finally got it popped.

-Damien

Forum Member

sawz all or air chisel and make your own hole?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DFurtman View Post
    Does anyone have any tried and true methods to force a vehicle trunk using a TnT tool and Halligan on an older model vehicle?

we had difficulty popping a trunk today on a `79 Cutlass Sierra. we tried putting the spike through the lock, but that didn't do anything, so we ended up putting the fork to the lock latch and after about 5 minutes of pounding and prying we finally got it popped.

-Damien
    They sure don't build 'em like they used to.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

Older vehicles- use a dent puller with a larger-sized course-thread screw, shove it in the cylinder, two or three love taps with the slide hammer, then put a big screw driver in there and turn. Open the trunk. Whole thing takes a grand total of one minute or less. I have also heard of guys using "K" tools to pull the cylinder.

If you shove the cylinder in (like using the point on a Halligan) you may damage the release mechanism beyond the point of no return.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Saw zall or porta-power. No sense in beating the living crap out of it. You only get tired, frustrated and look like a fool unless you nail it in two swings. With newer model cars, you'll only dent it in further by beating the hell out of it and shoving it into the car further.
    "There is no strong beer...only weak men"

SPH
    MCFRS Station 8C
    www.mcffpipesanddrums.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Use the pick of the Halligan and a few swings of a striking tool to blow the lock cylinder out. Use a long flat blade screw driver to turn the lock mechanism once the cylinder is gone..

MembersZone Subscriber

Get a bunch of guys of guys grab some tools and head for the junk yard. I am a personal fan of the saws by RES Q JAK. Work smarter not harder.

Cheers

Alan

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Knock out the cylinder

MG3610 has it right. Knockout the cylinder on the trunk, knock it out, don't destroy it because you will need the rest of the mechanism. Then as it was stated, use a long flat head screw driver and open the trunk by inserting the screw driver into the mechanism like a key a turn and you have just successfully opened the trunk like a professional not an animal. I have personally perfomed this method hundreds of times.

Forum Member

If the vehicle's tail lights are part of the trunk lid (look for the gap), you can use a variation of the way to open a car's hood through the grille.

Blast through one of the tail lights with the halligan. Look in and find the cable for the trunk release. 50-50 chance you picked the proper tail light. Now grab the cable in the forks of the halligan and turn. *thoonk* Trunk open.

P.S. It is our department protocol that all trunks or liftgates are opened or at least peeked into following a car fire or MVA. Engine responded to a vehicle fully involved in a small gravel lot near railroad tracks. They put the fire out, only to learn much later that two persons were shot to death and placed in the trunk, the vehicle was set ablaze to hide evidence

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have also heard of guys using "K" tools to pull the cylinder.
    Do you know how this was done? I am trying to picture it in my head, and well nothing is appearing...
    Kyle
    Upper Macungie Township Station 56, Allentown, PA
    Vigilant Hose Company #1, Shippensburg, PA

The things I post do not reflect the views of the affiliations I belong to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MG3610 View Post
    Use the pick of the Halligan and a few swings of a striking tool to blow the lock cylinder out. Use a long flat blade screw driver to turn the lock mechanism once the cylinder is gone..
    Some guys try and get fancy but this way seems to always get the job done.
    Totally Unacceptable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Works for us. In my dept engine and lader companies do not carry air chisels, porta powers, or sawzalls.

Forum Member

Halligan and a spreader should pop it open fairly efficiently
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

the 4-1-4

If this way doesn't work, then just take a metal saw and cut the thing open. Why mess around with it, just open the thing.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    If this way doesn't work, then just take a metal saw and cut the thing open. Why mess around with it, just open the thing.
    Our standard practice for the hood and trunk.

Cut-off saw with metal cutting blade. Cut a V around the locking mechanism.

Save's a little bit of time, makes for nice photos and at least it looks like you know what you are doing.

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Thread Information