Forum Member

Default Richardson, TX now civil service

Do any of the DFW guys happen to have contact information for any FF's in Richardson? or happen to know anything about this department. Mainly how they run their EMS. The website is confusing, because it says paramedic patch pay incentive, which in my opinion means you do not have be a medic, or earn your medic during the academy. I have never considered this department because they were not civil service until this month. The test is already full, 600 applications taken.... Thanks for any help possible.

Forum Member

Tech Guy
    I don't know any of the FF's in Richardson but I am on the list to test. Its may 19th at either 1:30pm or 6:30pm. I will be testing at 6:30pm. This is going to be my first test ever, any suggestions as to what to expect/do? I haven't done EMT yet but I am in the middle of my Firefighter certification and expect to take state test in June.

Forum Member

I know a few guys over there. No real complaints about the department. What specific questions do you have?

If you arent a medic they will send you through UTSW.

Forum Member

I was just wondering if they send you through once hired, which you answered. They havent given an open test in 12 years, and the guy I spoke with said he could not give me a recommendation on which study books they suggest. Ive taken a few civil service and scored high 90's except for Garland, which had a bunch of mechanical questions on it...I would love a heads up on what to expect for their test, memorization, mechanical, ect... If you know anybody that would have the slightest clue, that would be great!

Forum Member

why is it important to choose a city that is civil service vs. one that is not?

Forum Member

Tech guy, are you going to be there testing on the 19th?

Forum Member

In a nutshell...

In order to promote everyone takes a test. You don't get promoted based on whose ***** you kiss, or job performance, etc. Along that line, stuff like vacation picks, station assignments, etc go by civil service seniority.

Most of all it means they can't fire you on a whim. In most jobs if you tell the boss to "screw off" or even give your employer constructive criticism it's career suicide. Not with civil service. Unless you go out and get *convicted* of a felony, then it's pretty hard to get fired.

It's job security. Period.

I'm sure there may be benefits to not being civil service, but I haven't heard anyone mention them.

Forum Member

What do you mean by "open" test? A test where you do not have to have a FF/EMT cert to take it?

Not every dept. in DFW is civil service, and the ones that aren't still use the same hiring and promotion rules as a civil service city.

With Texas being an at-will state being civil service doesn't give you as much protection as you'd think.

MembersZone Subscriber

Irish, obviously you know very little about it, if you go to

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/lg.toc.htm
    Scroll down to chapter 143

You can read all you want, itís a very good thing and departments that have it are very fortunate (if you look around the state there are many that are trying for it), like everything though it has a few cons.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JPLeverett View Post
    Tech guy, are you going to be there testing on the 19th?
    Sorry, guess youre new so it took awhile to post. Yeah, I will be there for the 6:00 test, what about you?

Angry civil service sometimes not cool

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    In a nutshell...

In order to promote everyone takes a test. You don't get promoted based on whose ***** you kiss, or job performance, etc. Along that line, stuff like vacation picks, station assignments, etc go by civil service seniority.

Most of all it means they can't fire you on a whim. In most jobs if you tell the boss to "screw off" or even give your employer constructive criticism it's career suicide. Not with civil service. Unless you go out and get *convicted* of a felony, then it's pretty hard to get fired.

It's job security. Period.

I'm sure there may be benefits to not being civil service, but I haven't heard anyone mention them.
    But the department can fire you, but if the civil service denies you a hearing then theres not a damn thing you can do about it but file a law suit.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kshofat4 View Post
    But the department can fire you, but if the civil service denies you a hearing then theres not a damn thing you can do about it but file a law suit.
    Noticed I said "can't fire you on a whim." An example is the chief can't walk in, look at your unpolished boots, and say "You're fired!"

MembersZone Subscriber

irish,

yes texas is an at will state, if you aren't civil service. that is why your first year at a civil service job you are an at will emplyee. civil service mandates the ways you hire, promote and terminate an employee and under what circumstances you can do any of the for mentioned acts. wyr and agavegrove know quite a bit about it. and all three of us are on the same department, were in the same rookie class and are all civil service. so i can attest to you that both of them, particulary wyr, could probably sit you down and teach you all about it if you had enough time and beer. (nothing meant bad about that but he is the type of person that sits and studies that stuff. he'd be a good union rep)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevolp View Post
    wyr and agavegrove know quite a bit about it. and all three of us are on the same department, were in the same rookie class and are all civil service. so i can attest to you that both of them, particulary wyr, could probably sit you down and teach you all about it if you had enough time and beer. (nothing meant bad about that but he is the type of person that sits and studies that stuff. he'd be a good union rep)
    I'll take more beer, less time.

Thread Information