Default Average Starting Salary

Just wondering what the average starting salary is for a firefighter in Florida, more specifically, the Tampa Bay area?

MembersZone Subscriber

Polk County Fire Rescue
    Starting Firefighter/EMT 10.87 hr x 2912 base hours = 31,653.44
    W/FSLA Overtime and holiday pay, can be as much as 34,283

Incentives .50 hr EMT seat pay, .20 hr EMT patch pay, .07 hr FO1 certification, etc.

Other incentives detailed in our contract at http://www.polkfl.com/fire/Portals/0...reFighters.pdf

We just tested, so we will be good for a while, but will most likely test again in late summer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tampa Fire

Starting FF/EMT or FF/PM

$33,546.24 for 2,496 hours worked.

13.44 hourly + holidays (11) @ 9.6 hours each = 1419.26

That's 35,000.00 starting.

Paramedic patch and after taking a test and a few rides add $1,200 a year.

We're at impasse with our contract. Stay tuned.

http://www.tampagov.net/appl_personn...osting_id=1412

wow, thats pretty good, I am seriously considering going to the academy.

MembersZone Subscriber

FFPotenziano I just received my letter to take the PAT with Tampa in May. How do you like the department? Anything you could tell me about the department would be great. Good or Bad

Thanks

Forum Member

^^ same here any info would be great

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tampa Fire

I can honestly say, I'm very happy with Tampa. Sure there are things that could be better, although I don't think we're different than any other department.

You're going to find that you will have a lot of opportunities if you choose to pursue them. This is a good time to apply, we have a large amount of people retiring beginning now and through the next two years.

If you get an interview, don't forget your references and enroll in paramedic school. Those are good things that reflect your serious about the job.

Good Luck,

Louis

Forum Member

in CT..anywhere from 40-50k/year

Forum Member

City of Palm Beach Gardens

Starting salary $44,??? 24/48 with 3 week Kelly Days
    Paramedic pay $7,000
    11 paid holidays at 10 hours of regular hourly rate
    EMT's get 5% per shift for being on a Rescue
    Medics get 5% per shift for being Lead Medic
    Up to $2000 in incentive pay for NREMT or NREMT-P, Fire Officer-1,
    Instructor-1, Special Ops
    Free health insurance and dental for the employee
    $250 a year clothing allowance
    No top out

Top out for FF/PM at Palm Beach County is $90,000 at 8 years.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ouch!!!

What a square kick in the nuts...my stomach still hurts.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post

Paramedic pay $7,000
    No top out

Holy crap, Batman!

I don't know about the rst of you Florida guys, but I want this department's negotiaters working on our next contract!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Paramedic pay $7,000
    No top out

when is the next hiring for firemedics?

Forum Member

Default Hold on boys

Quote Originally Posted by VESmedic View Post
    when is the next hiring for firemedics?
    Actually the city still planning 8 layoffs and one station closure Oct'09 due to the tax cuts(the city is lowering the millage rate on top the cuts). While the pay is ok, the moral is low and has been for years. We do enjoy the nicest fire apparatus in Palm Beach County and all but one of our stations are all under 10 years old.

We didn't always make this much. When I started 8 years ago I made $27,000 with $4,000 extra for my medic. I actually made more money working 40 hours a week at AMR. When house prices went through the roof the city gave us a 30% raise in the form of a 3 year step plan, which was lost at the following contract negotiations. The pay here may seem high to you guys but remember, this is S.Fla. Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties have some of the highest pay rates(hundreds of guys making over $100k between the 3 counties), but the cost of living is higher here than the rest of the state. Even with the housing market slump no new FF can afford to buy a single family home here without working 6-7 days a week, and up until recently that house was in the getto. I paid nearly $300,00 for mine(yes my wife has a job with a similar salary) my buddy in Ft Myers paid just less than $200,000 for a much larger, brand new house in an area equal to where I live.
    Gas prices are also the highest in the state here according to the news paper last week, vehicles are marked up $3-$8k more than one or two counties north, even a burger at Chilli's cost more here than it did when we were in Tampa last month. So you see its not as great as it seems.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    I can honestly say, I'm very happy with Tampa. Sure there are things that could be better, although I don't think we're different than any other department.

You're going to find that you will have a lot of opportunities if you choose to pursue them. This is a good time to apply, we have a large amount of people retiring beginning now and through the next two years.

If you get an interview, don't forget your references and enroll in paramedic school. Those are good things that reflect your serious about the job.

Good Luck,

Louis
    Also ... wear a suit and tie to the interview!

how many years do u have to put in until u can retire? And once you retire how much do they pay you? I've heard that it's half pay, but I'm not certain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by AFDMac View Post
    Also ... wear a suit and tie to the interview!
    Suit and tie makes an good impression!

The people doing the PAT may also be on your hiring panel or make comments to the hiring authority. A simple thank you could make a good impression.

We have close to 30 openings now, plus possibly 20 more by mid summer. Give or take a few, Good Luck.

Forum Member

Actually the city still planning 8 layoffs and one station closure Oct'09 due to the tax cuts(the city is lowering the millage rate on top the cuts). While the pay is ok, the moral is low and has been for years. We do enjoy the nicest fire apparatus in Palm Beach County and all but one of our stations are all under 10 years old.

We didn't always make this much. When I started 8 years ago I made $27,000 with $4,000 extra for my medic. I actually made more money working 40 hours a week at AMR. When house prices went through the roof the city gave us a 30% raise in the form of a 3 year step plan, which was lost at the following contract negotiations. The pay here may seem high to you guys but remember, this is S.Fla. Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties have some of the highest pay rates(hundreds of guys making over $100k between the 3 counties), but the cost of living is higher here than the rest of the state. Even with the housing market slump no new FF can afford to buy a single family home here without working 6-7 days a week, and up until recently that house was in the getto. I paid nearly $300,00 for mine(yes my wife has a job with a similar salary) my buddy in Ft Myers paid just less than $200,000 for a much larger, brand new house in an area equal to where I live.
    Gas prices are also the highest in the state here according to the news paper last week, vehicles are marked up $3-$8k more than one or two counties north, even a burger at Chilli's cost more here than it did when we were in Tampa last month. So you see its not as great as it seems.
    Yeah, I agree bro.
    I use to live down in south florida and it aint cheap to live down there. I thought about applying for the big departments down there but probie FFs' salary alone can't get you to buy a single family house.
    I just got picked up by Orange County Fire Rescue Department and I believe the starting salary around $36K for a FF/EMT. I start on May 8th. A source of mine that works in that department told me a new contract has been approved and it "looks good" for me and the 29 other recruits they just picked up from their last hiring cycle. It is a "little more" affordable to live up here in Central Florida, but I am certain I will still need a part-time job for suppl. income.
    Last edited by Dell205; 04-28-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Floater for life!!

i myself live in the Tampa area but i work for Osceola County just south of Orlando. i couldnt wait to get outta that city so i dont mind the drive every third day....but this is our starting stats

about 36k a year
    $7500 PM incentive
    24/48
    Kelly day every 7th shift (so mine is Thurs. and every time my shift is on Thurs. i am off paid)
    8 hr vacation earned a month
    8 hr Sick time earned a month
    8 hr floating holiday earned a month
    School leave when available
    Special Ops incentives, ROG incentives, as well as moany others i cant remember
    Paid health and inexspensive dental and vision (i pay like 30 a month for me and my son)
    Educational reimbirsement
    650 a year clothing allowance

we are a growing dept adding 2 stations this year bringing us too 15 total. In House medic program should be up and running hopefully by Oct. We cover about 1500 sq miles and the largest portion of the turnpike in FL. I just got off probation in april and they recently hired 11 more and just started today another 22 i believe. i have heard rumors of another couple classes starting in Oct so they will be opening a process in the summer

Forum Member

lol...was just reading a post on ssm. same person? So how is it in tampa or clearwater area. Seriousy thinking bout moving to florida from texas. Been looking at tampa and clearwater fire depts. anyone know if tx certs are transferable to florida.

Floater for life!!

cool another minitruckin firefighter.....just met an engineer with my dept last shift who knew my od truck and alot of people i know....anywyas to your questions........i dont know abou the tampa/clearwater area depts....i have heard great things about Tampa, Hillsborough County, and St Pete.....i almost made it with tampa...got to the chiefs interview but never got called bakc for the polygraph.....i myself am from the orlando area and couldnt wait to get outta there.....so luckily i got on with Osceola County in the Kissimmee area south of Orlando...so i commute every 3 days to work....its only an hour to my station....and i dont have to deal with much traffic at all since it is all interstate drivin.......as for your certs they will not transfer.....i hear you can challenge the PM license as long as your nationally registered.....you will have to go back through standards and EMT school....it took me about 10 months total....Best place for info would be the state fire college in Ocala

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tampa

TAMPA A state commission ruled this week that the city of Tampa engaged in unfair labor practices by refusing to pay firefighters merit raises after their contract expired in October.

The Public Employees Relations Commission ordered the city to retroactively pay the raises, with interest, to eligible firefighters.

Tom Gonzalez, a lawyer who represents the city, said Tampa was delaying the raises only until negotiations were complete on a new contract that might have created a different pay structure.

"The city never said they weren't going to pay it," Gonzalez said.

Paying raises without a finished contract might mean some firefighters would have to return some of their money if they agreed to a lower pay scale.

City officials and firefighters are at a standstill over salary negotiations, so the existing contract remains in effect.

Larry Parker, president of the firefighters union, said he believes the city was holding back raises to strong-arm the union into a contract it doesn't like.

"It proves that we were right all along that the city was bargaining in bad faith," Parker said of the commission's decision.

The total amount owed the firefighters was not available Thursday, but Parker said about 100 union members didn't receive merit raises they were due.

The commission's order can be appealed in district court, but City Attorney David Smith said he didn't know yet if he would go that route.

Meanwhile, firefighters want a 5 percent across-the-board pay increase and merit raises averaging 5 percent annually. The city is offering a 2.3 percent cost-of-living increase and merit increases averaging 3.5 percent.

After negotiations reached an impasse in December, the matter was assigned to a special magistrate. A nonbinding recommendation from the magistrate is due in about three weeks.

If the two parties still cannot agree, the City Council will consider the contract.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LowBlazin View Post
    lol...was just reading a post on ssm. same person? So how is it in tampa or clearwater area. Seriousy thinking bout moving to florida from texas. Been looking at tampa and clearwater fire depts. anyone know if tx certs are transferable to florida.

Check with the Florida Fire College http://www.fldfs.com/sfm/bfst/index.shtml

I know Fla fire certs transfer to Tx, one of my old rescue partners did it a few years ago and I have another friend in the pirocess. You will need to challenge the EMT and medic and I believe you must be National Registry in order to challenge. Try here:http://www.fl-ems.com/

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber
    Last edited by FFPotenziano; 05-02-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFPotenziano View Post
    TAMPA A state commission ruled this week that the city of Tampa engaged in unfair labor practices by refusing to pay firefighters merit raises after their contract expired in October.

The Public Employees Relations Commission ordered the city to retroactively pay the raises, with interest, to eligible firefighters.

Tom Gonzalez, a lawyer who represents the city, said Tampa was delaying the raises only until negotiations were complete on a new contract that might have created a different pay structure.

"The city never said they weren't going to pay it," Gonzalez said.

Paying raises without a finished contract might mean some firefighters would have to return some of their money if they agreed to a lower pay scale.

City officials and firefighters are at a standstill over salary negotiations, so the existing contract remains in effect.

Larry Parker, president of the firefighters union, said he believes the city was holding back raises to strong-arm the union into a contract it doesn't like.

"It proves that we were right all along that the city was bargaining in bad faith," Parker said of the commission's decision.

The total amount owed the firefighters was not available Thursday, but Parker said about 100 union members didn't receive merit raises they were due.

The commission's order can be appealed in district court, but City Attorney David Smith said he didn't know yet if he would go that route.

Meanwhile, firefighters want a 5 percent across-the-board pay increase and merit raises averaging 5 percent annually. The city is offering a 2.3 percent cost-of-living increase and merit increases averaging 3.5 percent.

After negotiations reached an impasse in December, the matter was assigned to a special magistrate. A nonbinding recommendation from the magistrate is due in about three weeks.

If the two parties still cannot agree, the City Council will consider the contract.

Way to go Tampa brothers! Its nice when the city gets caught cheating us and the media picks up the story. Hopefully you can get someone held accountable, but we all know how that goes. Its our time now to and we asked for the same 18% PD just got again, but the city has come back to us with 0%,0% and 0% over the next 3 years. Will see how it goes.

Firefighter/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Losing Jobs

Firemedic 61, I thought no Florida Firefighters would lose their jobs to tax cuts? Sorry to hear about that. Good Luck over there.

Thread Information