Thread: Flashlights??

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flashlights??

I was wondering which flashlight is prefered by the fire community;
    -Pelican 3610PL Little Ed LED Recoil Flashlight
    -Pelican "Big Ed" 4C-Cell, 90 Degree Flashlight
    -Streamlight Survivor LED
    -Koehler-Bright Star

* Also one question...I know that the Little Ed Recoil has a lower candlepower rating (10000) than the other three. However, how much does the recoil technology make a difference in relation to smoke??

Forum Member

I have a Survivor Streamlight LED and I am very happy with it. I also carry a Survivor Vulcan light and am very happy with that as well.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive got a bright star and a survivor. Both are pretty good. Im looking heavily at picking up a lighthawk. Small and BRIGHT!!

WFDFire2156
    Firehouse.com Guest

Streamlights LEDS are great, I also have a streamlight Steathlight (black) on my 1044 its also great. Both lights have a long battery life and are bright

MembersZone Subscriber

Survivor LED

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Cast my vote for the Streamlight. Although I am not a fan of the LED. I have the Black Xenon bulb rechargeable version. I have done a side by side comparison of the two in a smoke filled burn room and the Black Xenon bulb pentrates much further into smoke without diffusion of the light. It is more of a spot type beam than the Led.

The big advantage that the Led has over the Xenon buld equipped Streamlight ia that you can get it with a battery pack that uses c cell batteries.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Advanced Lighting FD-1

I actually prefer the Advanced Lighting FD-1 Light.
    http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...andlights.html
    This light is tough, has a great strap and is extremely bright. I have used this light for years and have never had any problems.

Forum Member

my dept just bought about 30 Streamlight Survivor LED I like them very much they are durable also one of our member's light was run over by the engine and it just cracked the lens still works

Forum Member

Lightbulb Candle power, lumens vs what you see....

It's often a difficult task to determine the "best" flashlight by reading manufacturer specs only. The light output expressed in candle power or lumen or lux can be misleading. Technically, you need a light source (xenon bulb or LED) mated to a high-quality reflector to get a bright and focused light beam. It's the reflector that collects and directs the light you see. A good reflector efficiently harnesses the light output and can even make a lower output "look better" in the field.

Look for a deep-dish reflector, that is, one that is deep relative to its diameter. This type tends to produce a bright focused beam. Also, a bright, shiny reflective surface works best.

In terms of light output only, the xenon incandescent bulbs still remain the brightest producers of light. LED's are improving but xenon bulbs really pack a punch.
    QFL

MembersZone Subscriber

I got to agree with FyredUp, the Steamlight Survivor w/the Xenon Smoke cutter bulb is the best light out there. While the Survivor LED is a nice light, it just does not pentrate as far as the Xenon does through the smoke. The led will last longer, but if you have a piggy back charger for your light it realy does not matter. That being said, I do have a Streamlight 4AA Pro Polymer Luxeon LED mounted to my 1010 with a Black Jack Light Holder. Its a great little flashlight. I went with the LED in this light because it is not rechargeeable and I wanted to get the most life out of the batteries. I hope this helps

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

I have a Streamlight 4AA and a Responder, two completely different lights, however I have been happy with both products so far. Both are light for their respective sizes with easy to use buttons. The Responder is easily rechargable, however the batteries are not easy to remove unless you have a screwdriver handy.

My 2 Cents

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flashlight

Streamlight and Pelican both make great lights. I believe that both companies have missed the boat on helmet mounted lights.
    I bought a 20 LED helmet light from Foxfury. It seems like a great light. I have not used it yet in a fire. It comes with 2 Green LED lights. They claim it cuts threw the smoke better.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianFyrTrks View Post
    The Responder is easily rechargable, however the batteries are not easy to remove unless you have a screwdriver handy.
    The reason screws are used on the Responder is to make certain the batteries don't fall out when dropped! Using screws, the Responder can be dropped 30 ft onto concrete and the batteries stay in place.

Which is more important: the durability or inconvenience of replacing a battery every 3 yrs?

Note: NiCad rechargeable batteries should last about 3 yrs before replacement.
    QFL

Survivor LED

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been very pleased with my LightHawk by BrightStar. VERY lightweight, bright, focused beam. It's held up to quite a bit of abuse. I wish I could say the same for my Streamlight FireVulcan. The batteries would never hold a charge, and the bulb always fell out at the worst moments. I was tired of being let down, so this led me to the LightHawk. I'd recommend that light to anybody.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RayLight View Post
    The reason screws are used on the Responder is to make certain the batteries don't fall out when dropped! Using screws, the Responder can be dropped 30 ft onto concrete and the batteries stay in place.

Which is more important: the durability or inconvenience of replacing a battery every 3 yrs?

Note: NiCad rechargeable batteries should last about 3 yrs before replacement.
    I know what you mean..... I'll take the hmmm tough decision! Lol

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ex7500 View Post
    I actually prefer the Advanced Lighting FD-1 Light.
    http://www.emergencyresponderproduct...andlights.html
    This light is tough, has a great strap and is extremely bright. I have used this light for years and have never had any problems.
    I also go with the Advanced since 1993. On my second one and I don't treat it kindly. Guys in my company, in '93, bought our own. Everyone beat them up during use and they held up well. From that my department changed to the Advanced and adds a few on all new rigs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KBoxberger View Post
    I was wondering which flashlight is prefered by the fire community;
    -Pelican 3610PL Little Ed LED Recoil Flashlight
    -Pelican "Big Ed" 4C-Cell, 90 Degree Flashlight
    -Streamlight Survivor LED
    -Koehler-Bright Star

* Also one question...I know that the Little Ed Recoil has a lower candlepower rating (10000) than the other three. However, how much does the recoil technology make a difference in relation to smoke??

I like my Survivor!

Forum Member

It all comes down to personal preference, but this is why I use a Pelican Big Ed 4C.

- it's a 90 degree flashlight, as opposed to a helmet mounted one. That way, when I look at the people I'm talking to, they aren't blinded by my light.

- I like using the 4C alkaline batteries because I can change them every few months or after a long use. That way I am sure that the light is full strength every time. I never have to worry about how much charge is left in it or what to do for a light when it is charging.

Hope this helps.

Question

I'm looking for a Right Angle flashlight as well... I still don't decide between a responder, survivor and survivor led (think I already dropped the Pelicad ED, altough I really liked the glow ring)

What do you guys think?

Forum Member

I sell both Streamlight and Pelican in SW Mo and any light from either company will work fine. I prefer Pelican for a couple reasons: 1.) If anything breaks on the light (other than bulb burning out or batteries dying) they replace the light for free no questions asked 2.) From what my customers (several guys on with Carthage, Aurora, etc. etc.) have said is that the Recoil part of Pelican does work as it claims.

For all of the Class 1,2,3 etc Division 1,2,3 etc environments Pelican is certified to operate in nearly all of them.

But then again, these are just the words from a salesman!! lol

Forum Member

That's right. I don't know about Streamlight's and their warranty, but my Pelican Big Ed got a damaged after three years of abuse and shorted out. It got beat up pretty good and I'm surprised it made it that long. I called them on the lifetime warranty and Pelican sent me back a brand new one, no questions asked, in just one week. The new one is getting a beating now and is working great.

Everytime it gets some use in a fire, I replace the 4C's and it's good as new.
    Last edited by ddsnff; 07-19-2008 at 12:13 AM.

Thumbs up Survivor LED's - Most Light best lifecycle cost

Our department selected Survivor Streamlight series with recharable batteries.

Our department selected Survivor Streamlight series with recharable batteries.

They are very bright, cut thru smoke well
    Plus they are Class I / Div. II approved (great thing for Haz and Fuel Spill Response)
    Have a fairly small profile (compared to other similar lights) so they hang on your Turnout pretty well without a lot of interference (radios, regulator gauges, etc.)

Overall pretty durable, I 've seen one dropped from about 15ft. up and kept running. We've had themn in service for a little over a year and have not to replace any batteries or charger bases.

Pelican Mytelight 2440 and light holder make a nice LED helmet set-up. These little buggers are water proof (submersible) plus have a photoluminscent body making them visible in low light conditions (in heavy smoke not so much)

Forum Member

My department recently bought 25 survivors with xenon bulb. We looked at the led version but found that the xenon bulb seems to cut through smoke better and has more of a directed beam.

Forum Member

Streamlight ProPolymer 4-AA LED in a Blackjack bracket. Love it.
    "I've met lots of volunteer firefighters, but I've never seen a volunteer fire!"
    - R. MacLeod, Alma VFD

Thread Information