MembersZone Subscriber

Default Protecting the Patient during the extrication

I am looking for information on approved ways to protect the patient during the extrication. I have been in classes teaching the tarp & short back board tricks... I'm just looking for more and maybe better ways of doing it. Articles, books, video’s etc… any help in the right direction would be good!

Forum Member

I would suggest using a fire resistant covering, one that offers good flash fire protection and is easily cleanable.

Simply a suggestion...search for Kovenex on the web. It seems to be a popular fabric presently.
    Developer and Sr. Presenter, Team Xtreme
    BIG RIG RESCUE

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a heavy aluminized blanket, it is fireproof and heavy enough (like an old canvas salvage cover) to stop most flying stuff.

Permanently Removed

Hello -

In the interest of full disclosure, I work with Waubridge Specialty Fabrics, the manufacturer of Kovenex. I came across this thread after performing a search.

After seeing BigRig allude to the Kovenex Rapid Response Blanket, I wanted to provide you with additional information that might help you during your decision making process, regardless of which extrication tool(s) route you might choose to go. Following are links/URLs to a couple of quick Kovenex videos on YouTube that can give you an idea as to how the fabric works, how it can be used and what future uses might include.

Kovenex Attributes
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=umNlaFHfkv0

Kovenex in Action
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=-TD9_2sztys

The Future of Kovenex
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBEflXcjsnI

While I'm not a firefighter or extrication expert (though I very much appreciate everything you all do to help keep people like me and others in your communities safe), I would be glad to put you in touch with a firefighter and EMT we have on staff to further explain Kovenex to you (if, of course, you think that would be beneficial).

In addition, Ron Moore's March University of Extrication might provide you with non-Kovenex-specific ideas as well.

However, if you want more information specifically about Kovenex, feel free to shoot a message to my inbox, check out kovenex.com or even ask Mr. Moore about it (he has been using the Kovenex Rapid Response Blanket and extrication gloves safeguarded by Kovenex in his trainings).

Good luck with your search and thanks again to all of you for everything you do to help others!
    Last edited by Joetorious; 04-24-2008 at 03:50 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default hard protection

We use the kovenex blanket and love it. We not only use it for soft protection of the patient but also for sharp coverage. they work great for both. Glass wont inbed in it and it will not cut. Next we use hard protection made of lexan, get a 8ft sheet and cut assorted shapes and sizes. Benifit is smaller lighter and you can see thru it. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joetorious View Post
    Hello -

In the interest of full disclosure, I work with Waubridge Specialty Fabrics, the manufacturer of Kovenex. I came across this thread after performing a search.
    I wanted to send you an e-mail note, but you have that feature turned off... so I hope you check back and read this.

I hesitate to even ask, since I just purchased a new PBI Tri-Guard fire suit to wear when working with safety teams at motorsports events. Anyway, is there a possible application for Kovenex in making fire/driver suits and how would your product stack up next to PBI Tri-Guard?

To respond to the original post, right now our department is pretty much just using blankets from the squad and would insert a backboard if we were concerned with impacting a patient with something during extrication. We might look at Kovenex now that I have become aware of it... funny how sometimes you miss these things...
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic View Post
    ...To respond to the original post, right now our department is pretty much just using blankets from the squad and would insert a backboard if we were concerned with impacting a patient with something during extrication...
    We do the same...and the blankets are free.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

my department uses blankets and various versions of hard protection, we have a few different shapes that we cut out of Lexan and they fit everywhere in every car, great stuff! if you want some more info, email me at strengines@yahoo.com, love to help out.

mike

Permanently Removed

cvma860 –

Glad to hear the Kovenex blanket is working so well for you; please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your experience better.

MetalMedic –

First, thanks for the heads-up that my PM feature was disabled. I have now enabled it (thought it was automatically enabled when I registered) and will check my inbox regularly.

To answer your first question, Kovenex actually just received four more UL certifications in accordance with NFPA 1971-2007 standards. Basically this means that Kovenex is approved for and very well could be used in several safety applications including turnout and extrication gear, fire suits, hoods, ear covers, boots, gloves (already used in some) and more.

In regard to your second question, Kovenex is engineered to serve more as an inner thermal barrier rather than an outer shell. That said, we’re certainly very confident in Kovenex’s ability to perform extremely effectively as a thermal barrier. If you want, I would be more than happy to send you a Kovenex swatch so you can take a blowtorch to it and see how it protects against flame and sharps. (In fact, if anyone wants to test it out, let me know and I’ll send you a swatch too.)

Hope this helps. If you need more information, feel free to PM me (thanks to you, I should be able to receive them now).

Have a great rest of the week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow Hey Joe...

Joetorius

Please send me an email directly at billyleach@gmail.com.

I've an idea I wish to put forth regarding patient protection. Thanks.

Glad to see conversation about Kovenex; and our Rapid Response blankets. I too like Joetorious work for Waubridge/Kovenex. Over the past three + years we have been working to build the Kovenex (formaly PyroBlanket) name. And as Joe mentioned we now have a number of NFPA certifications for liners in gloves and bunker gear.

The Rapid Response blanket began to get noticed through TERC and extrication training events; the difference with Kovenex is that you have a lightweight blanket that offers both FR and SHARP protection in a extrication emergency.

As Joetorious mentioned; we would be happy to send out swatches and information on the Kovenex products as well as put you in touch with dealers that may be in your area.

Thanks, everyone have a good and safe weekend.

Forum Member

Default www.RescueProtectionSet.com

Quote Originally Posted by JCSScott View Post
    I am looking for information on approved ways to protect the patient during the extrication. I have been in classes teaching the tarp & short back board tricks... I'm just looking for more and maybe better ways of doing it. Articles, books, video’s etc… any help in the right direction would be good!
    Hello, You're looking for an approved way to protect the patient/victim during an extrication, well we have the best product in the world for that.
    Look at our website www.rescueprotectionset.com and give me a mail so i can show you a lot more about this subject.

regarding to hear from you

William Bettonviel

Thread Information