Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Default Thanks For All The Replies

I Really Do Appreciate Them
    Last edited by vtzach88; 09-13-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: FOUND WHAT I NEEDED NOW DELETING THE EVIDENCE

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

If you search you will find lots of discussion on this.

Most RIT teams work hoseless, unless the fire conditions dictate otherwise (i.e. flashover or other rapid development isolated the teams). The idea is quick location, air supply, and rescue as soon as possible. A hose line will usually only slow you down.

The rope is the standard anchor tool of the RIT/FAST team.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    If you search you will find lots of discussion on this.

Most RIT teams work hoseless, unless the fire conditions dictate otherwise (i.e. flashover or other rapid development isolated the teams). The idea is quick location, air supply, and rescue as soon as possible. A hose line will usually only slow you down.

The rope is the standard anchor tool of the RIT/FAST team.
    Agreed.

I would only differ with the rope. In our bread and butter single family or apartment type fires, I personally would not take the rope.

The rope should be considered mandatory for these larger McMansions and any commercial type of occupancy.

I am also against seeing some of these FAST teams trying to drag in too much stuff. Yes there should be a FAST staging area. However, air supply and life status is first and foremost. Move in quickly with air. Just getting that firefighter air and another firefighter presence will calm him down. Once they are calmed down you have a greater window of opportunity to safely remove him or her from the structure.

Having said that, it is equally essential to ensure the other firefighters on the scene don't stop what they are doing and continue to extinguish the fire. For if that does not happen, you have no window of opportunity.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

FAST Search team brings in a rope and "air"...every time. Once they locate the downed FF(s), they can call for Rescue team to assist. All the rescue team needs to do is follow the rope.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    Agreed.

I would only differ with the rope. In our bread and butter single family or apartment type fires, I personally would not take the rope.

The rope should be considered mandatory for these larger McMansions and any commercial type of occupancy.

I am also against seeing some of these FAST teams trying to drag in too much stuff. Yes there should be a FAST staging area. However, air supply and life status is first and foremost. Move in quickly with air. Just getting that firefighter air and another firefighter presence will calm him down. Once they are calmed down you have a greater window of opportunity to safely remove him or her from the structure.

Having said that, it is equally essential to ensure the other firefighters on the scene don't stop what they are doing and continue to extinguish the fire. For if that does not happen, you have no window of opportunity.
    I agree as well, but with the "bread and butter operations" a quick clip of a carabiner to the SCBA strap and attach it to your rope the crew outside if it's a straight shot could assist in moving a down ff.

Zach,

I can tell you what your next in (second alarm assignment) department would do:

We are using the CAN ( Conditions/Air Supply/Needs )acronym for both Mayday procedures and regular updates as well as the AWARE for Mayday/RIT procedures. By doing this it allows us to go in as fast as possible - with a rope if it warrants - without extra equipment weighing us down. The goal of your RIT team should be RAPID intervention and assessment. Quickly find out what you need and call back for the rest. In most of our bread-and-butter fires around our area, were never more than 20 feet from an exterior wall. an unencumbered RIT team can cover a lot of ground in that kind of structure.

Thats not to say that if conditions warrant that we wouldn't make a complete assessment, and then enter with everything we could carry. It all depends on the situation, and the resources at hand. I know there's been some talk at the county level to automatically strike one or two extra alarms for any known rescue or Mayday... I'm not sure what's come of that lately.

I can send you a copy of our SOG on the way we handle it in Lebanon, that might give you a good starting ground for your own. Write something up and give it to your Chief... they like nice little neat packages like that. You know- the ones they can take credit for without actually doing any of the work... (JK)

I'm currently working on putting all our SOP/SOG's on our website, so look there in the near future. www.lebanonfire.org/joomla

We enter with a search rope. A hose is to akward to move fast enough with. Couplings always seem to find a snag when not charged, and charged hose weighs to much to be efficent.
    FF/Paramedic

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

We split the RIT crew into a two-person search and four-person rescue teams (assuming 6 on the RIT engine):
    The search team enters with RIT bag (air) and rope. Their job is to find the firefighter and get the air supply established as quickly as possible. Once that's done they radio outside for any additional resources.
    The Rescue team brings in any equipment needed and to assist/take over removal. This could be stokes, saws, supplied air cart (or just line)..etc.
    Additional rescue teams are formed from 2nd/3rd RIT or on-scene personnel based on need.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

we enter with rope. Depending on sutrcture size, we send either a 2 or 4 person team in. If it's a normal size residential structure, we'll send four in, and get the downed ff out. If it's very large or industrial we'll send in 2 or 3 to locate the ff, and get him on air. As soon as ther ff is located, a fresh team will enter the structure, following the rope in to remove the ff.

Forum Member

A rope is deployed by the crew leader whos job it is to know the way out (last one in). Minimum initial entry team is 3, one does air, one does disentanglement and decides how to move the victim, the crew leader monitors conditions, air usage and secures the exit route.

Thread Information