Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Residency requirements

I have noticed that most career fire departments have residency requirements in which the applicant must be a legal resident of either the city or the county for sometimes 3 months, and often a year, before the application can even be considered. I live in a rural area of PA, and we have no career departments in the county. I would have no problem moving to an area if hired, but it isn't practical to move just to be eligible to apply. Is the residency requirement usually a strict policy? Is there any way to get around it short of moving, finding a non-fire/ems job, then rolling your dice in the application process?
    Thanks
    Sean, FF/EMT-P

I would not move anywhere until I get a job offer. If they want me, they want me regardless of where I get my mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I'm from MI and all the FD require residency after 6months to a yr of hire. Not saying you are wrong but maybe call and double check, maybe it is after hire. Thats just how it is here (MI) and else where I have been looking for woek (NV, CO). That isnt to fair to require that before hire, but check it out or go somewhere else that will give you the job before residency.

Forum Member

I'm from Ohio, and I remember seeing that "must be a resident before the exam" requirement for a PA dept - maybe Philly? I thought it was strange.

Anyway, in Ohio, there are requirements, but not until after you are hired. You usually have a year to move. So if you are close to the border, you could try testing here.

There was a new state law passed that would make residency requirements illegal (except for requiring you to at least live in a bordering county), but the cities are all challenging it, and it is at the state supreme court, so who knows how that will turn out.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

While there may be a handful, I don't know of ANY Virginia career department that has a residency requirement.

As was posted, wait to get the job offer, then move.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

These are a pain in my *****. I completely understand the requirements to be employed there, but the requiremtents to even take the freaking test...I won't ever get.

I am unable to relocate due to a residency requirement at my current job, so I am limited to finding exams that do not have the requirement, and are in my area. There are plenty of departments out there that don't have the residency requirement. You are fortunate, in that you are able and willing to relocate. You have the whole country to find exams without the requirement. I would say take any tests that you can find without the requirement, and get on board.

As far as a way to get around it, no. If there is a deptartment that you are desperate to get on, I guess you will have to move there and hope like hell you get hired. There really isn't any department out there that I would be willing to take that risk.

Default Residency

Those who have to reside in our fire district do so for the ease of manning our engines. During this years negotiations we removed that requirement from our firefighters contract. The reason being ..why should we require them to reside in our district when it is hard for them to afford to buy a house in our district.If they can live outside the district and still man the station then so be it. I came from a department who's firefighters lived far distances from our city and still did a fine job.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Yeah, I wish I read them wrong. The majority of the departments I looked at in PA, and all so far in NY and MA, have a residency requirement BEFORE being considered to apply. On the bright side, it's nice to know that other states don't have such a silly rule... maybe I should look elsewhere.

Forum Member

You can always apply in Maryland and Virginia, and then commute down once out of the academy. There are a ton of firefighters that live in southern PA and commute down to their respective departments.
    Matthew Pullen
    Firefighter
    Levittown Fire Company No.1
    www.levittownfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF15EMT View Post
    I have noticed that most career fire departments have residency requirements in which the applicant must be a legal resident of either the city or the county for sometimes 3 months, and often a year, before the application can even be considered. I live in a rural area of PA, and we have no career departments in the county. I would have no problem moving to an area if hired, but it isn't practical to move just to be eligible to apply. Is the residency requirement usually a strict policy? Is there any way to get around it short of moving, finding a non-fire/ems job, then rolling your dice in the application process?
    Thanks
    Sean, FF/EMT-P
    I believe in PA it is state law that third class cities require residency of firefighters at time of application.

Thread Information