Forum Member

Default Anyone had luck with foundation grants

Greetings,

Anyone had luck going after foundation grants to obtain stuff for their city or fire department?

Looking for funding stream for everything from Aquatic Center to Dump Trucks for PW, to A PIO/Grant writer suburban

Forum Member

YES

But for far more important things than getting the pio a set of wheels

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    YES

But for far more important things than getting the pio a set of wheels
    The PIO set of wheels was a joke.....

How did you go about locating the foundation and how different were the writing styles -vs- AFG?

Forum Member

research is the key to locating philanthropic organizations or foundations. I did google searches and went on line to the secretary of states website and once they are identified as "givers" according to their status with the state you have to do a lot of detective work to find ones that are looking to fund "health and welfare for the betterment of the community" That phrase leads me to finding a contact #/name. then you have to decide what on your needs list meets their requirements. some are much more involved than AFG others are nothing more than a copy of our 501c3 status letter and a page or 2 describing our needs and how much it will take to fund it.

There are many funds /foundations with smaller [under10k] grants that are fairly easy pickings for our needs to replace equipment . some of my successes have been for under 1k, but every little bit helps. Many folks have money to give when the markets up and they need to give it away or pay the IRS tax on it. You just need to be a silver tongued devil when writing your applications, and convince the trust that you are worthy of their funding. One hint is: if the fund states that awards are made for up to 25k , don't ask for 24,995.00. Try a smaller under 10k project and if successful you have opened the door and they now know who you are and might stand a chance in future years.
    OK enough of my "secrets" how about someone else!

MembersZone Subscriber

It would appear that someone has found out that a successful grant writer is residing at the local firehouse, eh Chris? Goes back to that statement I often make that if you want to climb that adminstartive ladder, be the money man! Easing a financial crisis in another area of local govenment services can result in big gains within your own department. Keep it up guy. As Islandfire pointed out, the research is the key here. Remember my seminar addage of "know that target audience". One other point I might make here on the corporate /private foudnation side is that it is often not so much "what you know, as WHO you know" in dealing with private foundations. Look over their board members, do a who's -who and network your way into their programs.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Default Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    research is the key to locating philanthropic organizations or foundations. I did google searches and went on line to the secretary of states website and once they are identified as "givers" according to their status with the state you have to do a lot of detective work to find ones that are looking to fund "health and welfare for the betterment of the community" That phrase leads me to finding a contact #/name. then you have to decide what on your needs list meets their requirements. some are much more involved than AFG others are nothing more than a copy of our 501c3 status letter and a page or 2 describing our needs and how much it will take to fund it.

There are many funds /foundations with smaller [under10k] grants that are fairly easy pickings for our needs to replace equipment . some of my successes have been for under 1k, but every little bit helps. Many folks have money to give when the markets up and they need to give it away or pay the IRS tax on it. You just need to be a silver tongued devil when writing your applications, and convince the trust that you are worthy of their funding. One hint is: if the fund states that awards are made for up to 25k , don't ask for 24,995.00. Try a smaller under 10k project and if successful you have opened the door and they now know who you are and might stand a chance in future years.
    OK enough of my "secrets" how about someone else!

Thanks Island.... The PIO wagon is an inside joke between Kurt & I....

Kurt... You are correct- my scope of work is changing.... because they never get rid of the money guy....
    We are going to meet next week, and I just wanted to get some backround information...

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Like was said earlier. The small ones add up. Just got rewarded one for 1200 bucks to add tourism info to the counties web site. If you can spread it around to different departments your invites to Departmental Christmas dinners go up.

Thread Information