Default Endurance Q's (really 2 )

Ok , so its about 9 weeks before the start of Fire School, I can comfortably hit my 5 mile run at a 4-4.5 mile per hour jog . That Being said I am having a bear of a time hitting my times for the mile and a half run. right now I am able to do it in 13-14 minutes, but that time has stayed static for over 2 months. Ive added quarter mile (1 mile in total )sprints to my runs (sprint 1/4 walk 1/8 sprint 1/4) and it avarages about 2 min per quarter. Any tips on improving times ? Second question since Iam going to be in School in Florida in the middle of June ( 90 degree avarage temps) any tip on training for lots of heat, been using a full sauna suit 2-3 days a week during runs.

Thanks in Advance
    Michael

Forum Member

Default Increase your distance and lower your per mile pace.

I found this on Fort Worth's website.

http://www.fortworthgov.org/fire/inf....aspx?id=21928

This is what all their trainees must maintain while in the academy. Scroll down to "SCHEDULE FOR GROUP RUNS." From the looks of their group runs, the trainess run 5 days a week. I run twice a week, every Tues./Thurs. mornings and strength train Mon-Fri. evenings. Since the beginning, my per mile pace has been 30 seconds faster than what Fort Worth's average is b/c I've been running since high school. I am now on Week 5 of the schedule (2.50 miles @ 10:00 per mile pace.) The 0.25 mile increases combined with the per mile pace becoming 30 seconds faster each week has made it easy to run farther, while still being able to maintain a constant pace for the entire run. Hope this helps!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you can bring weights to the track, do a circuit, then sprint 1/4 mile as fast as possible. Repeat four times total. Really run the lap as fast as you possibly can. rest between one or two minutes between intervals. The weight circuit should be thrusters, front squats, clean and press, something involving a total body effort. Substitute burpees if no weights are available. Try "roadwork", which is popular with boxers, and mixed martial artists. Run 1/2 lap, do a weight/bodyweight circuit, immediately run(steady, not a sprint), and repeat each 1/2 lap. Make the circuit tough, so that the run becomeds increasingly difficult. Repeat for desired distance. For the treadmill, I believe that a #2 incline is roughly equivalent to street running. Use a #5-6 incline from now on. I believe that the increased incline spares the knees/lower back somewhat, and will eventually make level running seem easier. Hypothetically, if you could sustain a 6.5 mph run for 1/2 hour, you could do one minute at 5.0, one minute at 6.0, one minute at 7.0, one minute at 8.0, drop back to 5.0 for one minute, then repeat. Each workout, try to add .1 or .2 to each speed. A good interval routine I use is to do one minute at a recovery pace, then sprint for 30 seconds, for 10 rounds. An example would be 4.0- 10, or 11 mph, for rounds. I don't have a good answer for training in hot, humid weather, other than starting in a fully hydrated status. Being as little as 5% dehydrated can cause your performance to drop dramatically. Also, control your breathing, try to inhale fully. If you hyperventilate, fresh air will never make it deep into your lungs, nor will you have time for gas exchange, either. By inhaling fully, and relatively slowly, you'll get fresh oxygen each breath.

Thanks for the reply . Ive been using a 50# vest for stairs a few times a week and just added it to the cardio bit this morning after sprints . Fast walked (3.5 mph) with incline set to 6 for half mile 9.40 min. did 3 sets of that increasing incline with each set .

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, go to www.rosstraining.com, and go over the entire site. Towards the bottom, there are several brutal bodyweight/sprint workouts that will turn you into a machine. I'm also going to Home Depot soon, to build the homemade ab roller, as described on the site.

Thread Information