Thread: Kenwood TK-5210

Forum Member

Default Kenwood TK-5210

Last edited by kuntrykid; 09-10-2008 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Don't want to be a member of these forums, so I deleted my posts.
    My comments do NOT necessarily reflect the opinions of my department, my fellow volunteers, or anyone else with whom I am associated.

MembersZone Subscriber

The 5210 is a good radio. However, if you have any input in the process there is one important thing to remember. There are a couple different versions of these radios. The first version had some problems. I think they are at version three now and it's a good solid radio. As far as recording vital??? How does that work, do you have to input vitals via key pad? If so you will find that it is a PITA and you will never use it. You will end up writing on your glove or a strip of tape on your pant leg every time.
    I bought a Treo phone for things like recording times, vitals etc... and I have only used it a couple times. They are neat options that look good on paper but when it comes time to use them they are just way too slow.
    Just my opinion. I am a Kenwood fan though and I think it's a good radio.

Forum Member

Last edited by kuntrykid; 09-10-2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Don't want to be a member of these forums, so I deleted my posts.
    My comments do NOT necessarily reflect the opinions of my department, my fellow volunteers, or anyone else with whom I am associated.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the Kenwood. Sounds like you will be using them as pretty much just a radio. But the features that the Kenwood will do are outstanding if you take the time to sit down with a manual and find it exactly what it can and will do.

Good luck with them. Stay low and be safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be interested in the voice stuff when you find out. I looked through all the Kenwood material and through the programming stuff for the 5210 and couldn't find anything at all with voice memo's or voice recording. I don't even see the option for VGS-1 board at all.

talktwoway.net

Brochure of the 5210, you will be very happy with them.

Removed Link.. didn't want to offend the admins for posting links.
    Last edited by RadiomanWA; 08-29-2008 at 02:23 AM.

talktwoway.net

Page 137-140 of the 5210/5310 Function Manual talks about the VGS Option.

This is a dealer only document, (tech manual). I cannot post it.

You can Auto Record incoming traffic, you can also do Voice Memos.

This is only limited to K2, K3, K5, K6 Type only.

Default Kenwood TK-5210

Our Fire & EMS went to all Kenwood for the P25 interoperability program. My TK-5210 lost its LCD Screen, Nothing visable, in December of 2008. The radio still worked but I had no way of telling what Channel or zone I was on. The Radio was about a month old, Never been abused. The radio was sent to Kenwood the first of January 2009. It is now the end of February and the only info I can get on my radios status is that kenwood does not stock parts for this radio. Our other kenwood Mobiles and Portables are Sticking on the last channel that talks when on scan, no further scanning, no going to priority channel. We cant get answers on this problem either. If you have a choice, spend the extra money and go with motorola

Our Fire & EMS went to all Kenwood for the P25 interoperability program. My 1 month old, TK-5210 lost its LCD Screen, Nothing visible, in December of 2008. The radio still worked but I had no way of telling what Channel or zone I was on. The Radio was about a month old, Never been abused. The radio was sent to Kenwood the first of January 2009. It is now the end of February and the only info I can get on my radios status is that Kenwood does not stock parts for this radio. Our other Kenwood Mobiles and Portables are Sticking on the last channel that talks when on scan, no further scanning, no going to priority channel. We can't get answers on this problem either. If you have a choice, spend the extra money and go with Motorola

Our Fire & EMS went to all Kenwood for the P25 interoperability program. My 1 month old, TK-5210 lost its LCD Screen, Nothing visible, in December of 2008. The radio still worked but I had no way of telling what Channel or zone I was on. The Radio was about a month old, Never been abused. The radio was sent to Kenwood the first of January 2009. It is now the end of February and the only info I can get on my radios status is that Kenwood does not stock parts for this radio. Our other Kenwood Mobiles and Portables are Sticking on the last channel that talks when on scan, no further scanning, no going to priority channel. We can't get answers on this problem either. If you have a choice, spend the extra money and go with Motorola

talktwoway.net

Jaishadow, sounds like you have an issue with your dealer. Contact me if you're still having issues, parts are and have been available for the 5210. We have many out there without issues for over a year now.

Thread Information