Default Hey guys! some quick questions for you.

Hey guys I have some quick questions for you because I am going to college soon for pre-service Fire Fighting and I wanted to ask you guys a couple things about your careers now as Fire FIghters.

1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter?

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position?

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter?

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter?

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter?

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting?

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting?

8. Do you anticipate a career change, if you do what change is that?

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter?

Thanks alot guys each question is really important to me and again thanks in advance for your time!

Forum Member

Hey you might want to post this in the firefighter discussion area, this is the Jr./Explorer area that is probably why you are not getting any responses. You can get these question answered at your local Firehouse, the guys/gals there will love to help and show you around.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donkayness View Post

1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter? Been around it my entire life

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position? Explorers

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter?Explorer for over 4 years now, would be getting on the department if I wasn't leaving for the Coast Guard Academy

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter? Fire Suppression, Fire Prevention, Inspections, Public Education/Relations, Maintenance (select people under the guidance of the fleet maintenance officer), EMS, Water Rescue, Ice Rescue, Hazmat, Rope Rescue, Vehicle Extrication, Confined Space Rescue, etc (we can handle all of those to a certain extent but for anything more than an extremely extremly basic confined space or rope rescue or a large hazmat incident, we are stupid not to call our neighboring dept, a FT outfit with 125+ guys on duty a shift with a dedicated Con Space Rescue Team, HAZMAT Team, etc. We have a very good relationship with them and run mutual aid for them frequently and call each other out on water rescues.)

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter?Physical Fitness and Conditioning

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting?Everything

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting?Nothing. I'll do even the worst job. I just love the job and being around the station.

8. Do you anticipate a career change, if you do what change is that?Seeing as no one on our dept is FT besides our chief and everyone has another job, yes. I'll be going into the coast guard for the next 9+ years of my life and I can't really join a dept until the 5th year of that.

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter?Tell the truth. Keep your mouth shut, eyes and ears open...............AND BRING ICE CREAM

Thanks alot guys each question is really important to me and again thanks in advance for your time!
    See above.............
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Hey guys I have some quick questions for you because I am going to college soon for pre-service Fire Fighting and I wanted to ask you guys a couple things about your careers now as Fire FIghters.

1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter?

My Dad was a volunteer firefighter in a fairly busy FD in Illinois and as a kid I hung around the station with him when ever I could. I liked the comraderie, the excitement and the feeling those guys had of se3rving the community. When I graduated high school I joined the volly FD in the town my folks had moved to in Wisconsin. It ws great serving with and learning from my Dad.

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position?

I started taking fire courses from the state vo-tech college and followed that up with getting my Associate Degree. I have IFSAC certification in 4 areas, state certs in others, EMT-B, Instructor and teacher certs in fire service areas, and an Associate degree in Fire Science.

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter?

17 years career, 7 as a civilian CFR firefighter on an WiANG base and 10 as a city firefighter in a suburb of Milwaukee. I have just shy of 30 years as a volunteer firefighter.

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter?

Responding to emergency calls that include fires, emergency medical, structual alarm investigations, suspicious odors, wires down, vehicle accidents, water rescues, and animal rescues. As well as many more I am sure I haven't thought of.

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter?

The most important one is the ability to think on your feet. No 2 situations are exactly the same but there are experiences and training you should be able to call upon to help you. I am on a quint so the ability to do both truck and engine work depending on what we are at that call as well as the EMT skills I have.

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting?

The challenges of the various types of calls. The great group of guys I work with. The fact that I get up and look forward to going to work.

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting?

The political BS that we suffer through especially at contract time. The sadness that is part of why we are called. People never call us to say hey come on over everything is fine. There is almost always some tragedy unfolding when the FD is called.

Retirement. I would like to teach full time for a few years after I retire from active firefighting.

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter?

Learn everything you can from everyone you can. Listen more than you talk. Be the first one up and working and the last one sitting down. In my area become a paramedic, that is the hot ticket to getting hired.

Good luck.

Badgerland FOOL

1. How did you decide on becoming a Fire Fighter? Wanted to become more involved with the community I live in and do something that makes a difference.

2. What educational path did you take to arrive at ur present position? Took State FF cert class and Driver Operator classes through local tech school.

3. How long have you been a Fire FIghter? 5 years as a FF and 4 as an EMT-B

4. What are some of your job duties as a Fire Fighter? Pretty much everything the other guys listed. Plus I am the fire inspector so I do the routine inspections and some community education as well.

5. What skills do you have that you think are neccessary for success in your career as a Fire Fighter? You gotta have a good head on your shoulders and be able to think on the fly and be creative. Also, need to have good physical conditioning and endurance.

6. What do you like best about Fire Fighting? The challenge and the fact that what I'm doing is helping some one. Also the brotherhood and comaradarie that comes with it.

7. What do you like least about Fire Fighting? The politics.

Yes, hope to become full time FF in addition to my volunteer Dept.

9. What advice can you give me to help me set career goals and prepare for a career as a Fire Fighter? Be a sponge, take as many classes and get as much hands on experience as you can. Listen to what others are trying to teach you absorb everything you can and never stop learning.

Good Luck in your endeavors!
    EGH-FTM-PTB-DPT

Thread Information