Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Video of shabby conditions at Fort Bragg causes uproar

Take Care & be SAFE
    Bert

I was a career Federal FF for 10 years, the last 7 (1999-2005) I was assigned to a very large Army Base. Knowing what I know about the inner workings of the US Army Corps of Engineers and the US Army's Directorate of Installation Operations (DIO) as well as a basic operations of the "Public Works" Departments of bases, I am not surprised. These photos depict conditions that are the worst I have ever seen, however. One thing I do have to dispute is the age of the building in question- ANY building built on a United States Army Installation during 1942 was NOT of masonry construction, they were all wood-frame. From seeing these pics, the building appears to be of the type common to many installations across the US, built in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

The problems pictured are a direct result of lack of maintenance. A Lack of maintenance due to a lack of budget. The lack of Budget is a result of slashes that were effected by the Clinton Administration, along with the rest of the devistating slashes to the budgets of the branches of the United States Military.

The DIO's of all branches are suffering. The Public Works Departments are one example- There is simply no money to buy paint. Or doorknobs. Or toilet seats. Or new drinking fountains. Or Toilet flush valves. Or pay staff.

The problems with the Navy's Civilian Firefighting staff is another example of the budget slashing to the DIO's.....Between 2005 and 2009 NAVFACCOM (Naval Facility Command) has identified 40 engine companies to be closed. Many already have. More will close in the near future. Fire protection at Naval facilities is a joke with a sad punchline.

When I left the base that I was working at, they were in the middle of laying off a large portion of the DIO Public Works staff. They were also going to privatize much of the DIO/PW operation. We couldnt get simple, stupid things for the firehouse anymore without pulling teeth or we had to beg, steal and borrow.

I bet that these particular buildings at Fort Bragg were left to fester because they were vacant (the assigned unit was deployed.) The mindset at Ft. Bragg's DIO was probably "Oh they're getting new buildings anyway." But then the new buildings got axed. So then the mindset was "Oh, we'll fix them when it gets closer to time for them to come home." Then when THAT came around....."Oh we dont have the money now."

Once again, a chain reaction of circumstances that will eventually lead back to Clinton's Military budget cuts.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 04-27-2008 at 05:49 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Once again, a chain reaction of circumstances that will eventually lead back to Clinton's Military budget cuts.
    That seems like quite a stretch to try to pin the blame on ol' Bubba. The current administration has been in charge for nearly 8 years. They have controlled the funding for 8 years.

Reading your post, you seem to be implying that since Clinton made cuts to the military budget during his administration, the current administration has been powerless to reverse them. That's demonstrably false. Every single year for the past 8 years, they could have devoted money to keeping these buildings up. The Clinton administration has had zero say in how DoD funding was allocated in those years. This administration chose to spend the money on other things. And make no mistake, upkeep on these buildings would have cost a drop in the bucket compared to the overall DoD budget.

Military spending has absolutely exploded since 9/11. The 2007 defense budget was 439 billion dollars. That's an incredibly huge number. But it's a drop in the bucket compared to 515 billion dollars, which is what the Pentagon is requesting for 2009. Adjusted for inflation, that's the highest military budget since the end of WWII. AND that number does not include spending in Afghanistan or Iraq!!

Upkeep on these barracks would have cost somewhere in the hundreds of thousands, perhaps a few million at the most.

I think it's a stretch to place the blame on an administration that was last in power on January 20, 2001. It's akin to blaming Harry Truman for the botched Bay of Pigs invasion.

Any cuts enacted by Bubba and his boys have looooong since been negated by our current commander-in-chief.

Quote Originally Posted by doodaa View Post
    That seems like quite a stretch to try to pin the blame on ol' Bubba. The current administration has been in charge for nearly 8 years. They have controlled the funding for 8 years......

......Any cuts enacted by Bubba and his boys have looooong since been negated by our current commander-in-chief.
    Well said.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

if the military budget is near the highest its been since WWII, you cant blame the current CoC for the way its spent. Blame the ones in charge of alloting the money they receive.

The fire department may receive a 10k grant but you dont blame the mayor for the way the fire department spends that grant...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    if the military budget is near the highest its been since WWII, you cant blame the current CoC for the way its spent. Blame the ones in charge of alloting the money they receive.

The fire department may receive a 10k grant but you dont blame the mayor for the way the fire department spends that grant...
    Good point.

Just in the short read of the existing replys, I can see why I didn't post that article here, but on the other site.
    I knew it wouldn't take long for it to turn into a Bush, Clinton, insert interest group here, bash session.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Just in the short read of the existing replys, I can see why I didn't post that article here, but on the other site.
    I knew it wouldn't take long for it to turn into a Bush, Clinton, insert interest group here, bash session.
    That all that ever happens, everyone want to blame the other party, the topic then turns political and anyone with any sense leaves the forum.

its Bush's fault....
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

The US now spends more money on defense than the next 10 nations combined. DoD funding is the highest ever and that doesn't include the cost of the war.

One would reasonably ask where the money is going?

Bombs, not paint or doorknobs or carpentry.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Bombs, not paint or doorknobs or carpentry.
    You're probably right that bomb makers have more influence with the procurement process than those who do rehabilitative construction.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    The US now spends more money on defense than the next 10 nations combined. DoD funding is the highest ever and that doesn't include the cost of the war.

One would reasonably ask where the money is going?

its probably just because the army didn'tplan on charlie co being home for more than a couple of weeks any way. lol!

For some odd reason those scenes are never shown in any of the ads. They always show people running with guns, driving tanks or planes.

Thread Information