Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Questions on a Psych test

I get calls quite often from people asking about the psychological testing given to prospective firefighters and police. While the police interview is much longer and more in-depth, they both have one thing in common. There is no standard question.

You can be asked in your interview anything and everything. There are no off-based questions, and they may even look for things to ask that you werenít ready for. They may try to bait you, make you sad or angry.

But what they do have in common is they start with asking questions based on you personality profile. There are a few different tests out there; the most famous is the Myers-Briggs test. It separates people into four personality traits, and when combined the profile is used to ask you questions.

If it indicates you are shy, they may ask how you will handle large groups. If you seem to be portrayed as a hot head, they may ask you in-depth questions about anger, fights and handling you emotions.

So, while I canít tell what questions you could be asked, you can figure some of them out for yourself. Take this sample test, and then it will tell you what strengths you have and what weaknesses. While the test they give in a hiring process has far more questions, and is far more in-depth, this is a sample. I took it with two of the people we hire recently and they said it was right on with the questions asked in their psych.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

I have no idea what other things this web site has, and donít endorse them, it was just the best, simplest test I could find. Have fun and donít take it too seriously.

Good Luck, Captain Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    707-869-1330
    Last edited by FFighterRob; 04-27-2008 at 06:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I get calls quite often asking why bobbie and boobie are continually allowed to post their spam. I guess they haven't figured out that every day, more and more people are as sick of it as I am.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

touche....

jl
    Forum Member

So, if you're deemed an "introvert", are you disqualified? Or considered not fit?

Forum Member

Not at all, you would just be asked different questions than someone that was deemed an extrovert. Also, when you take the test, it gives you a score as to how far you lean in that direction. A person that was %5 to introvert may not even get a question in that area, but a 95% may have the majority of the interview be based on that.

These tests are not used to disqualify people, but to give the evaluator an idea of where there may be problems for them to try and dig up. If you did come up as being an introvert you could expect to be asked how you behave in a group, speaking in front of others, and if you could get the attention of a large group in an emergency.

If it said you were a very well organized person it would be a good thing, but you may be asked how you handle disarray, how you handle situations when there isnít time to organize.

If you were to read that you showed a certain tendency you would to expect questions in that area and be prepared for them. Comfort and confidence count for a lot in any interview or evaluation. Being able to go into a psych and feel you know who you are and what they may see in you helps with that.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

Thread Information