Default How will this impact me getting hired?

Hello all,

I have a few questions on my chances of being hired by a department in Southern California. Im 23, have a BA in Sociology, am in great shape, and have a clean background except for 2 things that concern me.

1) I am color blind. it is not severe and does not impact me in any way, in fact, I have passed an FAA medical examination. but i have heard from several sources that a lot of departments have problems with colorblindness.

2) last month I got a speeding ticket for driving over 100 mph. the speed limit on the highway was 70. I understand that this was a really stupid mistake and I never drive that fast and I really regreat it. this is my first and only ticket. This is a dream job for me, and I hope i didnt shoot myself in the foot by doing this. I havent been to court yet, so I dont know how this will turn out.

how do these two things impact my chances of getting hired with a department in southern California? Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!!
    and thank you all for doing what you do to protect our communities.

anyone? any help would be appreciated

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't be quite so quick to discount your color blindness. I find this curious that you are aware of it, but were still able to pass the FAA physical. I am lead to believe this is a pretty comprehensive exam. How did you know you were color blind?

As far as the speeding goes, 100 miles per hour is really fast. If this is your ONLY driving related incident it probably won't disqualify you. Keep in mind though, all departments are different.

If you get another driving related ticket, it shows a pattern.
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

I didn't know people still drove 100 MPH with gas being over $4.00 a gallon...........

LA Co FD used to do a colorblind exam......not sure if they still do or not.
    Last edited by AZFF25; 07-27-2008 at 01:26 AM.

Forum Member

From Jeremy:

I just wanted to drop this web site by, it is in regards to color vision. I was recently disqualified from the San Diego fire academy for failing my medical Exam. I failed because I was unable to pass the color vision tests they gave me. I appealed the disqualification and did many hours of research on color deficiency and in my research I came across like the colormax lens. Contact lens called Chromagen lens that are FDA approved. I contacted an ophthalmologist that is proved on there web site and was able to get a prescription to correct my color vision. I was able to pass 100% both color vision tests the ishihara and Farnsworth. I was able to retest with the city and passed the color vision part of the medical exam. The total cost for the Doctors visit and prescription was appox. $600.00. If this can help any one else with color deficiency I would highly recommend it.

Web Site: http://www.chromagen-international.c...ex2_ingles.htm

Jeremy

Here are some more tips:

Ok, According to the EEOC and ADA if you can't pass the color test given, but the doctor asks you to identify basic colors IE Red, Green, and Blue etc. You have to show that even though you cant pass the test you will still be able to perform the basic job duties, by being able to tell these basic colors. You just need to articulate to them they you can perform the basic job duties of identifying the colors of cars and clothing descriptions. POST has also said that if an applicant fails the test, but can id the basics he/she is fine. or if it came down to it, but donít recommend you can get the x chrome contact lenses which is a couple of hundred dollars, even though its not allowed and just wear it with out them finding out "cheating." The lenses donít enable you to see colors, but changes them so you can identify them.

The test you took was the Ishihara plate test. Which it does tell a Dr. that you are colorblind. The bad thing about this test is unfair for people with a slight colorblindness, since the Ishihara plates are deliberately artificial images, and do not represent the range of colors that people see in everyday life. I had this problem with my agency. Ask them for another option. Ask if you can go and have a Farnsworth D15 test. This test will show how severe your colorblindness is. You will have to pay for it your self. Do keep in mind that some agencies will DQ you for being colorblind no matter what. Good luck and do not let this stop you going for what you want!

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

POST has also said that if an applicant fails the test, but can id the basics he/she is fine. or if it came down to it, but donít recommend you can get the x chrome contact lenses which is a couple of hundred dollars, even though its not allowed and just wear it with out them finding out "cheating." The lenses donít enable you to see colors, but changes them so you can identify them.
    It is hard to believe, but we have seen it happen again. cap'n bobby once again advocates CHEATING in order to get on the job. Guys, do youselves a favor and distance yourselves from this dishonest snake oil salesman.

When is the WT going to realize that they are associating themselves with someone who is inherently dishonest? Inherently dishonest people do things like recommend that others lie, cheat and decieve to get what they want.

His defense will be the words "...but donít recommend ...". That is like saying, "I am not telling you to do this, but...". Cheating is cheating is cheating and cheating is always, 100% of the time dishonest.

I realize that by once again calling out cap'n bobby on his lack of ethics may get me banned. I hope you guys chime in here to decry his dishonesty.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    It is hard to believe, but we have seen it happen again. cap'n bobby once again advocates CHEATING in order to get on the job. Guys, do youselves a favor and distance yourselves from this dishonest snake oil salesman.

When is the WT going to realize that they are associating themselves with someone who is inherently dishonest? Inherently dishonest people do things like recommend that others lie, cheat and decieve to get what they want.

His defense will be the words "...but donít recommend ...". That is like saying, "I am not telling you to do this, but...". Cheating is cheating is cheating and cheating is always, 100% of the time dishonest.

I realize that by once again calling out cap'n bobby on his lack of ethics may get me banned. I hope you guys chime in here to decry his dishonesty.

CHIMMING IN NOW!
    George, you make one hell of a point. I hope the WT dose not Ban you for speaking the truth.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

ďGuys if you get hurt, weíll help you. If you get sick weíll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!Ē
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

and here i am thinking that being a fireman is about being a role model for the community. man things would have been so much better if i knew i could just cheat my way onto the job. captain bob you should be ashamed of what you are advising people.

Forum Member

Right on George!!!

The WT can ban us all for all I care. While I was reading cap'n bobby's post, I decided to bring the "cheating" thing up, but of course, George beat me to it. No problem. Maybe cap'n bobby is "ethics blind". He should see a doctor and get a prescription that will mask this disease (because we all know that there is no cure). Take care!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Disillusioned Subscriber

Why am I not surprised to see more of the same old crap about how to dishonestly beat the hiring process? If the ramifications weren't so damned serious, it would be funny.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t6matt View Post
    Hello all,

I have a few questions on my chances of being hired by a department in Southern California. Im 23, have a BA in Sociology, am in great shape, and have a clean background except for 2 things that concern me.

1) I am color blind. it is not severe and does not impact me in any way, in fact, I have passed an FAA medical examination. but i have heard from several sources that a lot of departments have problems with colorblindness.

2) last month I got a speeding ticket for driving over 100 mph. the speed limit on the highway was 70. I understand that this was a really stupid mistake and I never drive that fast and I really regreat it. this is my first and only ticket. This is a dream job for me, and I hope i didnt shoot myself in the foot by doing this. I havent been to court yet, so I dont know how this will turn out.

how do these two things impact my chances of getting hired with a department in southern California? Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!!
    and thank you all for doing what you do to protect our communities.

My old driver/operator I worked for was color blind to a certain extent. He could identify a color difference but not the exact color. He couldn't identify the colors of the street lights but knew weather it was red, yellow, or green by which light was the brightest. He never screwed it up not even once. I had no problem working with him and had complete confidence in his driving. If anything he drove better due to the fact he was more careful and a lot more observant. Here's a fun question to ask your self. In a standard traffic signal is the red light located at the bottom, middle, or top?

The speeding ticket shouldn't be a problem. You can probably go to traffic school and get community service to take care of that. Ask the judge. Everyone makes mistakes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Why am I not surprised to see more of the same old crap about how to dishonestly beat the hiring process? If the ramifications weren't so damned serious, it would be funny.
    It would also be funny if he wasn't preying on kids desperate to get on this job.

I wonder if he or his spawn have the guts to come on here and defend this advocacy of cheating?

Forum Member

But... "nothing counts but the badge... nothing!"

Un-fracking-real!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

if they ban you, go to bshifter.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    . Here's a fun question to ask your self. In a standard traffic signal is the red light located at the bottom, middle, or top?

You'd have to be a real idiot not to know that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think Capt Bob is a real captain at all. Sounds pretty lame to me.

That makes me mad.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I don't think Capt Bob is a real captain at all. Sounds pretty lame to me.

That makes me mad.
    Captain Kangaroo wasn't a real Captain either, but I'd trust his advise over b0b's any day!
    IAFF

Forum Member

UNREAL!!!

Hey, go ahead and cheat! Then, when your new emloyer finds out down the road, and they will, you can be fired for it and then you will have one heck of a time getting on the job again!!

Momma always said, "Honesty is the best policy."

SHAME ON YOU BOBBY!!!

SHAME ON FH FOR SUPPORTING YOU!

SHAME ON THE WT FOR DOING NOTHING!! (As usual!)
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1835Wayne View Post
    UNREAL!!!

Hey, go ahead and cheat! Then, when your new emloyer finds out down the road, and they will, you can be fired for it and then you will have one heck of a time getting on the job again!!

Momma always said, "Honesty is the best policy."

SHAME ON YOU BOBBY!!!

SHAME ON FH FOR SUPPORTING YOU!

SHAME ON THE WT FOR DOING NOTHING!! (As usual!)
    You forgot to say shame on you for being so gutless not to come on here and address this dishonesty issue. No matter how many times he and the spawn of his loins are called on the dishonesty issue, they refuse to respond to people's concerns.

Forum Member

Well, of course. If they did, their little charade would end QUICKLY.

I stand corrected George!

I find it unconscionable that Firehouse, a very prestigious magazine and website, would allow themselves to be tied to this type of despicable behavior!

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

I am just mystified by this thread. In April a person asked a question about overcoming a handicap. After almost three moths he posted again in need of help. Not one person, include those with thousands of posts, offered any help. When a few did, there is a dog pile implying someone is encouraging people to cheat.

Did any of you read the post and look at the link? The post from Capt Bob clearly states ďbut donít recommend you can get the x chrome contact lenses which is a couple of hundred dollars, even though its not allowed and just wear it with out them finding out "cheatingĒ. It also states how you can describe your problem and still be hired if you canít pass the test. The web site it linked to is one that provides special colored lenses that allow those with this disability to function better. So by your logic someone encouraging another to wear glasses is encouraging them to cheat to get hired.

A person in my department had to have a hip replacement. Afterward a therapist had to teach him a special technique to climb ladders because he couldnít lift his leg high enough. Had the therapist helped him cheat to keep his job? There is a police officer in the south that lost his lower right leg. He had a prosthetic made and then got help to find ways to do the job with one leg. Had he been helped to cheat to get the job?

There was nothing posted here that in anyway encouraged people to cheat, only ways to overcome a disability. How the post you are ripping on could be called an encouragement to cheat makes me wonder at some peopleís ability to read and comprehend. Maybe instead of attacking people you could spend some of that energy in helping. t6matt made a post asking for help. Not one of you offered any. All you did was hijack his post to play your little games. Hope your having fun.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Well, here we go.

By even mentioning ways to get around the test, he is enabling cheating. Better to not even mention it. Questionable morality, that.

You should know that. I find your naivety astounding. To suggest that no one would read his post and glean a way to cheat from it it ridiculous.

The simple fact is, he is, in an obtuse way, advocating cheating.

Wrap your feeble mind around that.

Forum Member

Posted by FFRob
    A person in my department had to have a hip replacement. Afterward a therapist had to teach him a special technique to climb ladders because he couldnít lift his leg high enough. Had the therapist helped him cheat to keep his job? There is a police officer in the south that lost his lower right leg. He had a prosthetic made and then got help to find ways to do the job with one leg. Had he been helped to cheat to get the job?
    They were already on the job and adapted.

The candidate in question can't see the colors... he isn't a firefighter.

Would you want him to look up the informarion in the NAERG's at a hazmat when he can't see the color coded pages?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

While intelligent people debate facts, others will call names and blow smoke. Why donít you just cut and paste the area where someone was told to circumvent a tests? That way I can wrap my feeble mind around it.

While the doctors giving the entry exam may not be top of their class from Harvard, I suspect they would notice someone wearing a set of glasses that look like 3D glasses during their evaluation.

And the police officer that lost his leg was a vet that hadnít been hired yet.

My point is, nowhere does it say to bypass or cheat on the test, but instead describes the ways that those with a handicap can still get the job of their dreams. Where are your suggestions? Where is your encouragement? Was this web site established so people with a problem or question can get help and answers, or a place for a bunch of goofballs to hijack threads to entertain themselves?

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707)869-1330

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFighterRob View Post
    And the police officer that lost his leg was a vet that hadnít been hired yet.
    Wouldn't the officer in question have then fallen under the Americans With Disabilities Act? Basically, if you're physically capable of doing the job, they can't stop you. If he can meet all physical requirements to do the job, it is irrelevant.

I don't believe color blindness is covered as a "disability", though I could be wrong.

Thread Information