Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Question Is Boxing a Good Workout to prepare for the CPAT...?

    my 1st post....well is Boxing/Muay Thai a good enough workout for the CPAT???....or should i include other exercises after or during my training to help prepare me for the fitness test...???

    thanks.....


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    271

    Default See this thread

    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47289

    Kick boxing is a great workout. It's not the same a training specifically for the CPAT. You need to train with a weight vest, and do high intensity interval training that immitates the movement you will do in the test!

    Read about specific training here...
    http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php

    Dr. Jen
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-06-2008 at 04:09 PM.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47289

    Kick boxing is a great workout. It's not the same a training specifically for the CPAT. You need to train with a weight vest, and do nigh intensity interval training that immitates the movement you will do in the test!

    Read about specific training here...
    http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php

    Dr. Jen
    thanks...great info....

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    42

    Default Cpat Training

    Best thing i found to prepare for it was to find alot of stairs and find something to weigh you down. The rest is pretty easy besides the human body drag but it is the stair climb which causes you to lose most of your energy.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by karate460 View Post
    Best thing i found to prepare for it was to find alot of stairs and find something to weigh you down. The rest is pretty easy besides the human body drag but it is the stair climb which causes you to lose most of your energy.
    thanks man...

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    A candidate in a recent chiefís oral told the panel he stayed in shape with arena boxing. Isnít the cage boxing? Yea. This lead to more questions into areas you might not want to go.

    Anytime I hear someone is involved in motor cross, boxing, cage boxing, ice hockey or any other extreme sports I wonder how many times this candidate has had their bell rung or injuries they have already had or will have that could affect future time and sick leave or ability to do the job. Iím not the only person that feels this way. All you need is a little doubt with one rater and it can affect your score to keep you ought of the running to be considered.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    A candidate in a recent chiefís oral told the panel he stayed in shape with arena boxing. Isnít the cage boxing? Yea. This lead to more questions into areas you might not want to go.

    Anytime I hear someone is involved in motor cross, boxing, cage boxing, ice hockey or any other extreme sports I wonder how many times this candidate has had their bell rung or injuries they have already had or will have that could affect future time and sick leave or ability to do the job. Iím not the only person that feels this way. All you need is a little doubt with one rater and it can affect your score to keep you ought of the running to be considered.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

    Good god I wish this guy would go away......

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    271

    Default Why say things like this?

    I just don't understand why you would say something like that, VESmedic.
    As a mother, I have tried to instill some very important concepts into my child so that she lives a happy and full life filled with joy and love and people who cherish her. One is: If she has nothing nice or useful to say, then she should say nothing at all. Another is, she might think alot of things, but that doesn't necessarily mean she has to say them.

    In my opinion, that comment was useless, and cruel. Maybe I am not meant to understand, and it's ok if I don't. There are some things in life that make me cringe and shake my head. This is one of them.

    One question: does it benefit anyone for you to do this?

    I hope I don't offend anyone (not even you, VES)... I am just hoping for your peace of mind (and yes, others around you) and that you look in the mirror about that comment. I will, even though I didn't say it. Because, I need to make sure I don't say things like that to or about people. Ever.

    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 05-09-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: forgot something

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    A candidate in a recent chiefís oral told the panel he stayed in shape with arena boxing. Isnít the cage boxing? Yea. This lead to more questions into areas you might not want to go.

    Anytime I hear someone is involved in motor cross, boxing, cage boxing, ice hockey or any other extreme sports I wonder how many times this candidate has had their bell rung or injuries they have already had or will have that could affect future time and sick leave or ability to do the job. Iím not the only person that feels this way. All you need is a little doubt with one rater and it can affect your score to keep you ought of the running to be considered.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    thanks man...i never considered that....

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    A candidate in a recent chiefís oral told the panel he stayed in shape with arena boxing. Isnít the cage boxing? Yea. This lead to more questions into areas you might not want to go.

    Anytime I hear someone is involved in motor cross, boxing, cage boxing, ice hockey or any other extreme sports I wonder how many times this candidate has had their bell rung or injuries they have already had or will have that could affect future time and sick leave or ability to do the job. Iím not the only person that feels this way. All you need is a little doubt with one rater and it can affect your score to keep you ought of the running to be considered.

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Aggresive, type "A" personalities, who typically crave excitement, bore easily, who are "adrenaline junkies" so to speak, would seem to be a good fit for the fire service, predisposition to chemical dependency notwithstanding. Firefighters are all risk takers, to some extent, I would think. Participating in "extreme sports" while off duty would only be natural, no? I like to "eat stress" by practicing jiu-jitsu, surfing (the bigger the better), olympic weightlifting, and I want to try skydiving after I complete the academy. Why, in your opinion, would this make me a poor choice for a firefighter?

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    I just don't understand why you would say something like that, VESmedic.
    As a mother, I have tried to instill some very important concepts into my child so that she lives a happy and full life filled with joy and love and people who cherish her. One is: If she has nothing nice or useful to say, then she should say nothing at all. Another is, she might think alot of things, but that doesn't necessarily mean she has to say them.

    In my opinion, that comment was useless, and cruel. Maybe I am not meant to understand, and it's ok if I don't. There are some things in life that make me cringe and shake my head. This is one of them.

    One question: does it benefit anyone for you to do this?

    I hope I don't offend anyone (not even you, VES)... I am just hoping for your peace of mind (and yes, others around you) and that you look in the mirror about that comment. I will, even though I didn't say it. Because, I need to make sure I don't say things like that to or about people. Ever.

    Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    From what I can understand from reading other threads, the majority of members who respond to Capt. Bob's posts generally hold him in poor regard. It would seem that the Capt. has carte blanche to promote his website whenever, and wherever he chooses. He has been accused of interjecting into a forum discussion only to have another opportunity to promote his site. When a new "Capt. Bob success story" pops up, it is believed to be authored by Capt. Bob, to further promote his business. I'm currently in a fire academy, and have no need for his products. I can't fault someone for trying to expand their business. However, it would appear that the Capt. will post solely for the promotional opportunity, and not to participate in a discussion out of genuine interest.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Also, Capt Bob's posts generally segue into a reference to oral boards, hiring, and/or obtaining a badge.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    41

    Smile Sprints

    I found for me good old 440 sprints around a track was what helped me to really pass with less pain than years previously. I also do the stair mill with weights. That is the critical 1st step is having enough to get past those stairs.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    35

    Default

    I have sat on many oral boards across the country for various promotional positions, from Lt. to Battalion Chief, not once was the candidates extracurricular activity one of the questions. At least not in any of the professional departments oral boards I sat on.

    The reason, is that it's very hard to defend your particular scoring of a candidate in that area and not legally defensible.

    Thats the reason most hiring boards have preselected questions for the panel.

    That said, I have to agree with edpmedic. People who enjoy adrenaline sports could be good candidates for firefighting. You have to manage how you eat stress though, cause it can blow out your adrenals over time if you're always jacked up on the job and off.

    ...and as far as boxing/muy thai for the CPAT. Sorry, if you don't train specifically for the CPAT, you're not going to make it.

    Here's the IAFF's own CPAT prep guide.

    Goodluck!

    JC
    http://www.ultimatefirefighterworkout.blogspot.com

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    Iíve been assisting firefighter candidates to prepare for every step in the hiring process before they show up for 38 years. You canít go forward in the hiring process if you canít pass the written, CPAT agility, oral board, psych, medical and background. Usually everything is pass-fail except the oral. Thatís where you get the job. As with a few other contributing authors in the Career Articles section of Firehouse.com http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8 we have approval to include our contact information in our postings.

    Westchester47 wrote:
    not once was the candidates extracurricular activity one of the questions.


    True. Most agencies use structured orals where each candidate is asked the same questions. The candidate in my above posting was answering the question what have you done to prepare for the job. He gave his education, experience and then how he stayed physically fit with arena boxing. Once you bring it up itís fair game to ask more questions which they did.

    Youíre looking for a seamless no surprises interview. All you have to do is stumble on a question of two, step on a few land mines and you donít make the cut. Just a few points either way could make the difference in gaining a badge or not.

    Whatís important here is the candidate in my above posting didnít make the cut after the chiefs oral.

    Edpmedic wrote:
    Aggresive, type "A" personalities, who typically crave excitement, bore easily, who are "adrenaline junkies" so to speak, would seem to be a good fit for the fire service, predisposition to chemical dependency notwithstanding.


    Yes, some are. I raced cars and skydived for many years. But itís how you present it in your oral board to that can make the difference to make the cut. It can come down to the psych test where up to 40% fail. Will the psych doc clear Aggresive, type "A" personalities, who typically crave excitement, bore easily, who are "adrenaline junkies"?

    In response to my posting I got this e-mail:

    So would ballet and bowling be a better choice to put on my resume as opposed to ice hockey or other extreme sports?? Would I not want to include sports that are demanding and rigorous on the body as experienced in firefighting?

    I noticed you left off the bell ringing ALL AMERICAN sport of football??

    THANKS FOR THE TIPS

    Reply: A way to present yourself on this topic is to say you are physically fit and can play most any indoor or outdoor sports.

    Edpmedic wrote:
    Also, Capt Bob's posts generally segue into a reference to oral boards, hiring, and/or obtaining a badge.

    The oral board is usually 100% of your score to get hired. No matter what your credentials if you canít pass the firefighter oral board which is like no other you will never, ever see a badge!

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CaptBob; 05-10-2008 at 01:21 PM.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Iíve been assisting firefighter candidates to prepare for every step in the hiring process before they show up for 38 years. You canít go forward in the hiring process if you canít pass the written, CPAT agility, oral board, psych, medical and background. Usually everything is pass-fail except the oral. Thatís where you get the job. As with a few other contributing authors in the Career Articles section of Firehouse.com http://cms.firehouse.com/content/sec...sp?sectionId=8 we have approval to include our contact information in our postings.

    Westchester47 wrote:
    not once was the candidates extracurricular activity one of the questions.


    True. Most agencies use structured orals where each candidate is asked the same questions. The candidate in my above posting was answering the question what have you done to prepare for the job. He gave his education, experience and then how he stayed physically fit with arena boxing. Once you bring it up itís fair game to ask more questions which they did.

    Youíre looking for a seamless no surprises interview. All you have to do is stumble on a question of two, step on a few land mines and you donít make the cut. Just a few points either way could make the difference in gaining a badge or not.

    Whatís important here is the candidate in my above posting didnít make the cut after the chiefs oral.

    Edpmedic wrote:
    Aggresive, type "A" personalities, who typically crave excitement, bore easily, who are "adrenaline junkies" so to speak, would seem to be a good fit for the fire service, predisposition to chemical dependency notwithstanding.


    Yes, some are. I raced cars and skydived for many years. But itís how you present it in your oral board to that can make the difference to make the cut. It can come down to the psych test where up to 40% fail. Will the psych doc clear Aggresive, type "A" personalities, who typically crave excitement, bore easily, who are "adrenaline junkies"?

    In response to my posting I got this e-mail:

    So would ballet and bowling be a better choice to put on my resume as opposed to ice hockey or other extreme sports?? Would I not want to include sports that are demanding and rigorous on the body as experienced in firefighting?

    I noticed you left off the bell ringing ALL AMERICAN sport of football??

    THANKS FOR THE TIPS

    Reply: A way to present yourself on this topic is to say you are physically fit and can play most any indoor or outdoor sports.

    Edpmedic wrote:
    Also, Capt Bob's posts generally segue into a reference to oral boards, hiring, and/or obtaining a badge.

    The oral board is usually 100% of your score to get hired. No matter what your credentials if you canít pass the firefighter oral board which is like no other you will never, ever see a badge!

    "Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    You make a good point, sir, that a proper presentation to the psychiatrist, is crucial. No one wants to hire someone who has no apparent regard for their own personal safety. Prior participation in team sports, such as football, basketball, soccer, etc. can show that the candidate values teamwork/cooperation.

  17. #17
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    To the Original Poster-

    I would suggest a Kick Boxing class at a local gym/fitness center to prep for the CPAT.

    I would NOT suggest regular boxing, grappling or cage fighting to prepare for the CPAT or a fire service position. Why? Anytime you take on an activity prone to injury, you are not helping or advancing your career or prepping for the fire service. Broken bones, back and blue marks, dental injuries, strains and sprains or a back injury will simply knock you out of the running or delay you in the process. Remember, you have to fill out an medical questionaire prior to getting hired and meet with a Doctor. The more boxes you have to check, the more explaining you have to do. Remember, a fire department doesnt want to hire a laibility or person with a checkered medical pass.

    Can you imaging having an oral board date set and getting a black eye, stitches or tooth knocked out prior? Not smart?

    As for the whole type A personality and adrenalin discussion- Yes we are. But that also includes using your head and playing the game for the badge.

    The CPAT- If I can pass it having the flu, most Candidates could. Simply watch the video and find the areas to work on. Yes, a weight vest on the stair steeper should work. Just get in a basic workout routine and you will do fine. Its an EASY physical test. If you canít pass it after several tryís, the fire service simply might not be the right job for you. Here is the video- http://www.cpatusa.com/video/cpat.wmv

    As for the Capt. Bob dog pile, I think we just offered up his opinion in here just like anyone else. Didnt see where he was selling anything. Give the guy a break. If you want a true success story, he has assisted me and other people I know.

    Remember people, its easy to become a Volunteer, but hundreds to thousands of people apply for just a few Professional Firefighter jobs. Get all the help you can to get hired.
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 05-10-2008 at 10:58 PM.

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    271

    Default IAFF guide

    Westshester, That CPAT prep guide, just like the ones discussed in this post: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=47289
    is lame and not going to do much that people aren't already doing when they go the gym and dabble is very basic weight training. Everyone who works out at all shoudl know those exercises. They won't help anyone pass the CPAT who wouldn't have passed it anyway, even with the flu.

    Dr. Jen

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    so i shouldn't mention that i do Muay Thai or/& Boxing to any one when trying to get into the academy?

    thanks everyone...

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    169

    Default

    so i shouldn't mention that I train in Boxing & Muay Thai...?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Good workout plan for an explorer?
    By josec03 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 07:38 PM
  2. Good Abdominal Workout???
    By JayBird1983 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2005, 11:09 PM
  3. Could the name Tyson and boxing be synonymous again?
    By Steamer in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM
  4. Boxing
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The Sports Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 07:11 AM
  5. The Firefighters Workout Book:Good/Bad?
    By Jedimike007 in forum Health and Wellness
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-21-2002, 09:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts