Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gone.

Default Economic Stimulus

Anyone get theirs yet? If so, what do you plan on doing with it? I personally think it's a pathetic idea. Because most of what you get is going to be spent on gasoline. Notice how gas is starting soar even more now that the stimulus checks are starting to go out. Basically, the way I see it, the government is going to profit from this more than we will. When the money first came in, gas prices were high, but nothing like now, and now that the money is going out to be used by us to spend, well, what do you think it's going to be spent on? Gasoline. Petrol. Diesel. All the good things. Like I said, the checks and direct deposits are going out, and gas prices are starting to go up again just in time for them.

Forum Member

Mine will be going into the "get the F outta town" fund.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm puttin mine in the bank!!!!!

Question

*shrug* i dunno.

Not going to make a big difference one way or the other.
    With that said i am always happy to get some of what i have paid into the fed back.

Guess i'll just put it in the "general fund" (Savings account) and spend it when i need to pay taxes or something.

Havent seen mine yet but when I do, Im going to order me a Phenix leather
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Iím planning on spending mine just as the government intends, to jump start the slumping economy.

I will be purchasing the family a new 50 inch flat-screen TV, my wife a top of the line washer/dryer and junior a new lap top. For me itís a GPS system for the vacation drive to Walley World theme park to see Marty Moose

woman wants a new cell phone, then Im buying a new bed for my diesel ford, and the rest I can find something to waste it on...

Please be careful how you spend your bonus!

*If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China.

*If we spend it on gasoline it will all go to the Arabs.

*If we purchase a computer it will all go to India.

*If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will all go to Mexico, Honduras and Guatemala.

*If we purchase an economy car it will all go to Japan.

*If we purchase useless crap it will all go to Taiwan.

None of these actions will help the American economy. We need to keep that money here in America, so...

the only way to keep that money here at home is to buy beer, strippers and whiskey since those are the only businesses still in the U.S.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

Quote Originally Posted by confire View Post
    For me itís a GPS system for the vacation drive to Walley World theme park to see Marty Moose

My money is being used to help fund the 8-day National Lampoon's Family Vacation to go see the big black rat in Orlando.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Mine will pay down my student loans.

Remember that this is not free money. This is simply an advance on next year's tax returns. You will receive $300 - $1,500 less on your tax return next year than you normally would.

I predict that many will be quite shocked next year when their tax returns are greatly diminished or they owe money because of this.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    I predict that many will be quite shocked next year when their tax returns are greatly diminished or they owe money because of this.
    Yup!

Mine's going toward a road trip "home" to Long Island in August where I'm sure gas will be $5 a gallon... And I need to drive since renting a car on LI is ridiculously expensive, plus my little guinea pig is joining me on the trip (saves on having to leave the AC on and getting a pet sitter for an entire week!).

BTW, anyone with a Discover Card -- don't forget to sign up for their 5% back June, July, August -- gas is one of the 'deals'. Of course it only "pays" if you pay your card off each month, as I do.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember that this is not free money. This is simply an advance on next year's tax returns. You will receive $300 - $1,500 less on your tax return next year than you normally would.

Hence why I'm putting mine away.

FROM THE IRS:

Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...182003,00.html
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 05-01-2008 at 06:12 PM.

Forum Member

You are 100% completely wrong.

edit: see above

Crack & 40's.......

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Pay off the winter fuel oil bill.

Then buy a sweet little .22 pistol for plinking with my boys. Geez a guys gotta do his part for economic stimulus!!

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    FROM THE IRS:

Q. Will the payment I receive in 2008 reduce my 2008 refund or increase the amount I owe for 2008?

A. No, the stimulus payment will not reduce your refund or increase the amount you owe when you file your 2008 return

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...182003,00.html
    While I agree with what you found.......

Can I get a show of hands of who actually believes anything that comes out of Washington DC?

Can I get a show of hands of who actually believes the Gov't is going to GIVE something for NOTHING?

I don't. I am no accountant, but I don't see how when you are in debt (as a nation) you can just give money away.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

I am going to pick up a new reloading press. I have some equipment that was given to be by a friend but lack a press to round it all off.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

bank account that earns 5% interest along with my other money
    and then maybe some boo's
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post

Can I get a show of hands of who actually believes anything that comes out of Washington DC?

Can I get a show of hands of who actually believes the Gov't is going to GIVE something for NOTHING?

I don't. I am no accountant, but I don't see how when you are in debt (as a nation) you can just give money away.
    Oh I agree with ya! The Philly news ran a story last night on how people were under the impression that they would deduct this from '08's return.

Here's a question for everyone.....

It's going to cost Uncle several billion dollars to do this thing. Would you rather have:

A. The money in your hand, or

B. Have the Federal Tax (around .82 cents per gallon I think I heard?) suspended and the several billion put towards the loss revenue (from the suspension of the tax)????

I think I would rather have had "B."

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post

SOmehow I just don't see this happening. As I recall the past times the useless twits in DC did this it did reduce what was returned in 2008. Of course in general it will not reduce the overall amount of money given back at the end of the tax year - just the actual check received next year.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information