Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Uniform

Forum Member

Question New Uniform

Gentlemen

My department is in the process of selecting a new uniform for line personnel. Does any one have any recommendations?

Thanks for your input.

Stay safe.

IM22

Forum Member

definetly shorts

MembersZone Subscriber

Absolutely shorts, and something comfortable. I like polo shirts.

Forum Member

blue or grey T-Shirt
    shorts or pants
    bates lights or athleteic shoes

Gone.

The Boots;
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...side_zip_boot/
    I wear these to work. Extremely comfortable.

The Shirt;
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr..._sleeve_black/
    I have one in yellow somewhere.

The pants;
    http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...p_pants_black/
    I have these and use them at work, except they are the BDU/ACU type. They are awesome and breath nicely.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Uniforms

I swear by Lion

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you looked at the crew boss dual compliant wildland/station pants?

http://www.westernshelter.com/product.php?ID=276

Big fan of Lion and anything without fag pockets. Just my preference. Can not stand the EMS pockets, also Perfection makes a nice uniform.
    Last edited by 39truck; 05-01-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong name

MembersZone Subscriber

Seems like a lot of departments are starting to wear polos.

Quote Originally Posted by 39truck View Post
    Big fan of Lion and anything without fag pockets. Just my preference. Can not stand the EMS pockets, also Perfection makes a nice uniform.
    I'm sorry, the what?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Shorts and T-shirts?

If you want to look (and be looked at) the same as the people hanging off the back of garbage trucks, or mowing the grass on the side of the road, or out checking water meters, go for it.

However, if you want to look like (and be looked at) as a professional, wear pants and a proper uniform shirt. Your choice...

Just my $.02
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    If you want to look (and be looked at) the same as the people hanging off the back of garbage trucks, or mowing the grass on the side of the road, or out checking water meters, go for it.

However, if you want to look like (and be looked at) as a professional, wear pants and a proper uniform shirt. Your choice...
    Well, the guys you mention work for a living. Picking up garbage, mowing the grass, checking water meters... Those are all blue collar jobs. Last time I checked, firefighting still has a considerable blue collar flavor to it. There is absolutely no reason to spend the summer wearing pants, dress shirt and brass when one call is going to render them wet, smelly and nasty for the rest of the day.

Besides, I don't know much about how things work down there in Florida. (After all, you've got a lot of folks that don't even know how to vote.) But in my community, the citizens are well aware that there is a difference between the fire and the sanitation department -- regardless of what we wear. If the citizens confuse you with some other department... you need to work on your PR.

Shorts and T-shirts?

Just my $.02
    Dave, there are a lot of depts who wear shorts in the summer months.
    When it comes down to it, what matters more, our safety, or how we look?
    I choose function over fashion any day. Twice when its humid and in the 90s.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    Well, the guys you mention work for a living. Picking up garbage, mowing the grass, checking water meters... Those are all blue collar jobs. Last time I checked, firefighting still has a considerable blue collar flavor to it. There is absolutely no reason to spend the summer wearing pants, dress shirt and brass when one call is going to render them wet, smelly and nasty for the rest of the day.

Besides, I don't know much about how things work down there in Florida. (After all, you've got a lot of folks that don't even know how to vote.) But in my community, the citizens are well aware that there is a difference between the fire and the sanitation department -- regardless of what we wear. If the citizens confuse you with some other department... you need to work on your PR.

Agreed...to a point.

Sure, they are all "blue-collar" jobs. But Im sure you will agree that firefighting in todays world requires more expertise then it did when I started 25 years ago. That equals a higher level of training and education, which should equate to higher pay and benefits then, say, someone who works for the the department of sanitation.

Its not that simple.

When we go to the table, we need every advantage we can get when competing for available tax dollars. If it takes "looking" more professional then other city workers, so be it.

Works for most LE agencies, doesnt it? You dont see many PD's lobbying for shorts and T-shirts. Every budget time I hear FF's bitch about "PD got this and PD got that". Why? PD knows how to "play the game".

We need to be smarter...

As for Fla, I find it hard to imagine thats its that much different then other places. Most older people have a vision in their minds of what professional looks like. And since many of our elected officials fit into this age group, this "vision" can and does have an impact on us come budget time.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Dave, there are a lot of depts who wear shorts in the summer months.
    When it comes down to it, what matters more, our safety, or how we look?
    I choose function over fashion any day. Twice when its humid and in the 90s.
    Perhaps on the East coast.

You said you were coming this way. When you get here you will notice that very few FD's have anything other then the standard uniform shirt. Many of these had polos or T's but switched back for some of the reasons I mentioned in my earlier post.

And there are only three I can think of off the top of my head that wear shorts.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Works for most LE agencies, doesnt it? You dont see many PD's lobbying for shorts and T-shirts. Every budget time I hear FF's bitch about "PD got this and PD got that". Why? PD knows how to "play the game".
    Orange County Sheriffs Office, and Orlando PD, and I haven't even really thought about who else wears shorts.

Shorts and T-Shirt looks rather tacky, but shorts and a Polo shirt looks a lot better. And not these little short shorts, and not hanging off your arse either!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    Orange County Sheriffs Office, and Orlando PD, and I haven't even really thought about who else wears shorts.

Shorts and T-Shirt looks rather tacky, but shorts and a Polo shirt looks a lot better. And not these little short shorts, and not hanging off your arse either!
    Now, I didnt say "all", I said "many".

Case in point. Pinellas County Sheriff.

Deputies standard uniform is a long sleve white shirt (pressed) with tie and dress pants. They look SHARP!

Guess who has the largest budget in the county, BY FAR, with the best pay and bens of any LE agency or FD here? Yup...PCSO.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

I have nothing against looking sharp and professional, but it is rather difficult to when you are dripping with sweat.
    The standard over here really varies. Alot of depts allow shorts between certain months, or when the temperature and humidity get too high.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

Well I also work on the West Coast of Florida and we have shorts they look fairly good. I guess if they're that bad we'll have to tell all the FDNY guys to give them back, as well go and do away with the studies that show the benefit of reduced heat stress when wearing shorts while firefighting. There are alot of departments out there that look absolutely unprofessional while wearing full uniform and those that look very professional while wearing shorts and polos. It is more than just what you wear, but how you wear your uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by medic563 View Post
    Well I also work on the West Coast of Florida and we have shorts they look fairly good. I guess if they're that bad we'll have to tell all the FDNY guys to give them back, as well go and do away with the studies that show the benefit of reduced heat stress when wearing shorts while firefighting. There are alot of departments out there that look absolutely unprofessional while wearing full uniform and those that look very professional while wearing shorts and polos. It is more than just what you wear, but how you wear your uniform.
    Study on shorts? Hmmmm, must have missed that one. Can you provide a link? I would be very interested in the results, as I never thought that pants vs shorts under PPE would make that much difference.

I would think that heat stress injuries would have more to do with your re-hab procedures and how often you rotate attack crews, but thats just me.

Funny, we wear regular uniforms, in Florida, and I cant recall the last heat related incident we had with any of our people. Of course, I would be willing to bet that because of our climate and the demands it puts on our people, our procedures and how they relate to FF stress are top notch. They have to be. Id put them up against anyones.

And we are not FDNY. No one is FDNY. I never compare what we do here to what they do there. Two different jobs in two different parts of the country.

RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Thread Information