MembersZone Subscriber

Default Looking For Some Direction.... PLEASE HELP!

Brothers,

I am sure many posts similar to this exist out there, but I have not been successful in finding any. Basically I am currently a NREMT-P working in a busy urban / suburban 911 system for the past 2 years, with 4 years of BLS in the same system prior. I have been volunteering as a FF for the past 7 years. I have my national FFI, and working on my national FFII. I also have many other certifications to follow (Haz-Mat, Confined Space, Etc.) I am looking for a change, I love being a fire fighter, and I really enjoy medicine, and I am trying to find a system where I can get a good mix of both. I am looking for a busy system with an Urban to Rural coverage area, open and aggressive EMS protocols, and a place where I have the opportunity to do specialty services like Tech Rescue, Haz-Mat, and all that good stuff. I am looking all across the country, and I have just become very overwhelmed. I am open to anywhere; I unfortunately cannot get what I would like in the system I am in now. I have been looking a lot in the NY, NJ, MD, DC, VA area, but wanted to see what anyone else thought, or knows. Thanks for the Help.

Rob

Forum Member

I would think that a NREMT-P, with some of the experience/certs you have, you could pretty much right your ticket, provided you test/interview well.

Not sure which part of the country you are from, but it looks to be east coast. I do know many west coast depts are hurting for good medics. Have you given any thought to moving west? I don't have much knowledge of needs on the east coast but I can say that around here, depts are clamoring for medics with good experience.

That said, I think all the certs you have are good, but have a feeling that many paid depts are going to want you learn it their way.....not sure if your certs are going to sway some depts to hire you. I'm assuming you are volunteering as a FF and getting paid on an ambulance?

Whatever you do/wherever you decide to move, sounds like it is time to start testing....being a medic is desirable by many depts.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am looking all over the country, and I am open to anywhere. I am an outdoor nut, and coming from the east coast I have a difficult time leaving the water, but I am looking everywhere. I looked into the west coast a bit, not too much at this point. I noticed from the firehouse job website that there are many places in Cali, and even up into Oregon and Washington hiring. I have some friends who live all up and down the coast from LA to San Fran, and up into different parts of Oregon, and they all love it over there. Any suggestions, or places to look into or avoid?

Rabble rouser

Thumbs up

We'd love to have you in Fairfax County, Virginia.

There is a thread on Fairfax County here: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=77487

More on the FRD: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/

Recruitment: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/recruitment/

Please let me know if you have any questions at JKobersteen@fairfaxfirefighters.org
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIFD256E9L1 View Post
    I am looking all over the country, and I am open to anywhere. I am an outdoor nut, and coming from the east coast I have a difficult time leaving the water, but I am looking everywhere. I looked into the west coast a bit, not too much at this point. I noticed from the firehouse job website that there are many places in Cali, and even up into Oregon and Washington hiring. I have some friends who live all up and down the coast from LA to San Fran, and up into different parts of Oregon, and they all love it over there. Any suggestions, or places to look into or avoid?
    Portland, OR is testing in August:

http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/

Thread Information