Forum Member

Exclamation City workers overtime.........

I don't know if this is where to post this but I just need your opinion. We are a small fd with 3 paid personel (chief, and 2 captians) and the rest are paid per call, part time employees, of which 13 of the 17 people we have work for the city already i.e. Public works, police. Our city employees get OVERTIME, while the guys that don't work for the city get 8-10 per hour. I was just wondering if other departments do this (have city employees that work for the fd and get paid overtime) or how you get past the feeling of the guys that DON'T work for the city, feeling less adaquate because their pay is sooo much less than the others.

Just wanting your input.

Fireman22080

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department does not allow city employees to be members of the call force, We have 40 fulltime personnel however. I would suggest lobbing for pay parity i.e paying non city members a blended O.T. rate of the city employees

Forum Member

Default Oh Well

Well it makes sense that the city employees get paid overtime for call outs because they are already working their full time hours with the city. If other guys have a problem tell them to go apply at public works. If person A and person B do the same job at the same place but person A makes more, then person B is sure to be a little ****ed. Even if their is a good reason for it. Why not tell the guys who don't work for the city that it is the LAW that they get paid OT and their is nothing that can be done about it.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

It is an FLSA requirement that they be paid overtime. We discovered going the other direction. Several of our guys inquired about working parks / rec during the summer or working for forestry on their days off.

They applied and the deparment heads mentioned they would love to have them, but they would have to compensate them at time and one half because they are already on the city payroll.

Early Adopter

Question Out of curiosity...

The flip side of that is this... Can the city employees respond to calls while they are already on the clock for the city? i.e. A parks guy works 8a-4p and there is a fire at 1p, can he go? Because, then, the question is does he get paid anything extra since he's already on the clock?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    The flip side of that is this... Can the city employees respond to calls while they are already on the clock for the city? i.e. A parks guy works 8a-4p and there is a fire at 1p, can he go? Because, then, the question is does he get paid anything extra since he's already on the clock?

Nope, as long as he does not excede 40 hours in a week regardless of his duties.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by Geinandputitout View Post
    Nope, as long as he does not excede 40 hours in a week regardless of his duties.
    I know what the law is... I'm asking about the practice that actually occurs. I ask because if the non-employee call guys are upset that the city employees get paid more per hour, then the flip side is that if the call happens while the city employee is on the clock, then the employee is essentially paid nothing at all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    I know what the law is... I'm asking about the practice that actually occurs. I ask because if the non-employee call guys are upset that the city employees get paid more per hour, then the flip side is that if the call happens while the city employee is on the clock, then the employee is essentially paid nothing at all.
    They are not paid nothing at all. They are paid their regular wage from their regular city job while they are fighting fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had some similar instances in our area but I remember that there were some exceptions to this (FLSA) requirement depending on jobs or something...

If you work for the City/Town etc as a full time employee, say in the DPW, and you choose to "work" as a Call Firefighter/Part time FF etc. as long as that part time or less than full time position is not of the same type or scope it makes the OT part of the law void. If for whatever reason that employee begins to work in a similar duty or position the OT provision then applies.

I am by no means an expert but it may depend on what else there are for laws and requirements in the area.

Thread Information