MembersZone Subscriber

Default gps on fire trucks

I'm a full time firefighter in Canada. Our dept. services a city aproxx. 250,000 people. We are looking at getting gps on our trucks. Does anyone have any reccommendations or personal experiences with some companies we should try?

thanks!

Forum Member

We use a program called FirstLook Pro. It has our preplans, hydrant locations, does GPS navigation and and is capable of more I do believe.

The preplans can be quite extensive.
    May not be worth it, though, if you do not want to use the program for preplans but only for GPS.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

MY department has megellans in all of our apparatus. We have no hydrants in my rural district, so the maps are good as they show the roads and water ways/lakes/ponds, etc. seems to work good.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also use the megellans / TomTom type of GPS, for hydrants we drove around our town (Being it's only 1 sq mile) and marking all the hydrants in the GPS as a point on interest. It works well, me mainly purchased the GPS for when we go out of our coverage area due to that happening frequently.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter3419 View Post
    We also use the megellans / TomTom type of GPS, for hydrants we drove around our town (Being it's only 1 sq mile) and marking all the hydrants in the GPS as a point on interest. It works well, me mainly purchased the GPS for when we go out of our coverage area due to that happening frequently.
    Also good for a regional disaster (like Katrina) where street signs were gone.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

We have tablet computers in the rigs with mapping and reporting/dispatch software and built in vehicle locator GPS by VisionAire. The GPS is effective in letting the dispatcher know exactly where you were 10 minutes ago. Stay as far away from that software as you can.

The private ambulance co. we run with has Tom Toms in the units, they seem to like them when they bother to use them.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for all the help guys. I'm looking for a company to outfit hardware/software onto the trucks. We have all the mapping and preplans in place.

Forum Member

My Dept uses OSSI. We have 22 Stations and employ almost 500 people.

Compared to my 2-year old, $300 Garmin, the OSSI software sucks major butt in the GPS mapping arena.

Thread Information