Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default How hard is the Rock/FDNY Probie School???

    The reason I post is because i got curious when i was watching the movie "Brotherhood"...during the movie they showed clips of the Rock and to me it didnt look very hard, and actually alot of it looked fun, and including the training it looked like they were all having alot of fun. I was just wondering if anybody had any information as to what there Physical Training was and how hard it really is, because I thought "The Rock" was like the toughest tower out there. Oh and how long is there academy? Cause my academy was 16 weeks Tues-Thur. and Sat/Sun.


    Thanks for all your help


  2. #2
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    104

    Default

    You can get a lot of your questions answered in the employment section.

    The Academy is 23 weeks, it includes 2 PT sessions and one FST (Functional Strength Training) sessions a week, plus standard physical demands of the training evolutions. More than anything else, the academy is difficult because of the long days and long commutes for most. The longer length of the academy is also demanding (it used to be 13 weeks.)

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    Default

    thanks for the reply.

    so its not like a set schedule everyday then? you say they have a PT twice a week and then the rest is hands on in the morning and classroom in the afternoon? im guessing there days are from 6am-6pm? I tried to find information but wasnt to lucky..

  4. #4
    Forum Member FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,311

    Default

    I have heard it described as comparable to USMC Boot Camp......I have also heard it described as not hard......It all depends on what you make of it. However I have NEVER heard anyone describe it as easy.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It all depends on what you make of it.
    That's something to remember for all academies. When you come in prepared and ready for work, it will be a lot easier. When you come in out of shape and thinking that it will be a cake walk, you will struggle.

  6. #6
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    That's something to remember for all academies. When you come in prepared and ready for work, it will be a lot easier. When you come in out of shape and thinking that it will be a cake walk, you will struggle.
    Truer words have never been posted....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  7. #7
    Forum Member johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    It's a bunch of hugging and kissing.

    You should sign up right now.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Man, if that were true I'm sure a lot of people would sign up...

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It all depends on what you make of it.
    Exactly.
    We had a former USMC in my rookie school in NC. He said it was way harder than Paris Island.

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmaddd View Post
    The reason I post is because i got curious when i was watching the movie "Brotherhood"...during the movie they showed clips of the Rock and to me it didnt look very hard, and actually alot of it looked fun, and including the training it looked like they were all having alot of fun. I was just wondering if anybody had any information as to what there Physical Training was and how hard it really is, because I thought "The Rock" was like the toughest tower out there. Oh and how long is there academy? Cause my academy was 16 weeks Tues-Thur. and Sat/Sun.


    Thanks for all your help

    Hands down one of the funniest "questions/posts" I've ever seen on here! LOL!

    FTM-PTB

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I don't remember hugging and kissing....that must be in the extra 10 weeks.

  12. #12
    Forum Member johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    I don't remember hugging and kissing....that must be in the extra 10 weeks.
    The first stage is denial....

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatherPierce View Post
    I don't remember hugging and kissing....that must be in the extra 10 weeks.
    Its only weird the first time!

  14. #14
    Forum Member VinnieB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    On the couch in my skivvies
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    I thought every house pushed the racks together........
    IACOJ Member

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    You should have seen the look on the Lt's face last night when he went to climb in the shower last night in the Truck office and I was there to greet him :-) The Capt spit coffee out his nose!

  16. #16
    IACOJ BOD FlyingKiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,757

    Default

    So it is just like boot camp.

    Boot Camp

    "Don't ask, Don't tell."

    The Rock.

    "Nice @rse, don't yell."

    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    477

    Default

    The reason I post is because i got curious when i was watching the movie "Brotherhood"...during the movie they showed clips of the Rock and to me it didnt look very hard, and actually alot of it looked fun, and including the training it looked like they were all having alot of fun.
    Of course. Everything is exactly like it is in the movies. Didn't you know that?

  18. #18
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    Of course. Everything is exactly like it is in the movies. Didn't you know that?
    haha... I'm sure that when a cameraman sticks the camera in your face, you will probably smile as well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rock and a hard place...
    By CaptHarv in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-20-2005, 08:55 PM
  2. School project gets me confused and thinking to hard.
    By barnburner in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 08:50 AM
  3. Between a rock and a hard place
    By FGFD43 in forum Emergency Services Administration
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2001, 02:16 PM
  4. Between a rock and hard place
    By FGFD43 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-16-2001, 08:39 AM
  5. Between a rock and a hard place
    By FGFD43 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2001, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts