Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Angry Dixon, IL Mayor Disrespects Fallen Firefighters

On Saturday, May 3, 2008 a memorial service was held in Dixon, IL for firefighters in the area that have served on departments associated with BlackHawk Firefighters Association, an organization that boasts members from over 80 departments in northwest Illinois. This memorial service honored those, 43 members, who have served in the past and are now deceased either as a line of duty death or a non-duty related death. The mayor of Dixon boycotted the service as it is noted in the article in the Dixon Telegraph. The article can be seen here http://www.saukvalley.com/articles/2...286286fe8c.txt

The story on the service itself, which was very sobering for the families of those honored, can be seen here http://www.saukvalley.com/articles/2...e98830cc16.txt

All of us have to stand together. Let us show our distaste of our mayor's actions. If you have any comments for the mayor they can be posted on the paper's comment section on the story or posted on this thread.

Let's hear what you have to say.

So why didnt they invite Rep. Foster ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Mike, I read the article and it said they just didn't think of it. Nothing intentional, just an oversight. Can't forget anybody in an election year, can we?
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

179 views and 3 replies counting this one. Apparently it doesn't seem to be the outrage that it's expressed to be. I'm going outside my comfort zone and expressing an opinion about something that doesn't even remotely concern me. First off, I have all the respect in the world for the Blackhawk Firefighter's Association. A great organization doing great things. That being said, a simple minor mistake was made and the whole thing got blown out of proportion. A quote was made that states nothing political was intended. That may have very well been the case but unfortunately as soon as a politician is invited, it's political. My personal opinion is the mayor over-reacted and should have attended anyway but why couldn't the oversight have been corrected BEFORE the event and the issue taken care. Seems to me a simple phone call from the mayor to ask the BFA why Foster wasn't invited and to recommend he should be. BFA says you know you're probably right and issues a formal invite to Foster. Problem solved? Politics, what a game.
    SFPD Member MABAS Division 47
    Told my wife I'm at work. Told my boss I'm sick. I'm really at the fire station.
    I.A.C.O.J.

I guess I should haved read the whole article a bit more carefully. Thanks for the information.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Maybe it's because I'm not from Illinois, but one less politician at such an event is a good thing to me. Why complain.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber
    DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Bones, that may be true for a lot of us, but we all know politics is a funny business. Make one mad and the whole deal gets blown out of proportion.

When we had an open house at our new station a couple years ago, we invited everybody that covered our area. One showed up. He was running for reelection. Our mayor couldn't even make a speech and thank everybody for their hard work getting it done. Unfortunately we had to let him come. It's the town's building, not the district's. Politics played into our project and it's probably why our state rep didn't show up. He renigged on a promised grant to help pay for it and now won't talk to me any more. His loss.

Chad's right - when the problem was discovered, invite the guy, everybody still shows up, thanks the emergency workers and then go homw and pout.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Thread Information