...it never made it. Clark said he ran out
    into the street looking for the vehicle that was hit and saw the child
    lying alongside the street. Eyewitnesses said the child was thrown
    from the vehicle when it struck the pole. The fire truck had pushed
    the van nearly an entire block. The bottom half of the pole, lay
    where the wreck ended. The entire driver's side of the minivan was
    shoved into the passenger's side. The man and child were pronounced
    dead at the scene.

I don't understand why car fires warrant a stupid response like this. Kinda reminds me of the video of the second due engine going to the car fire who decides to go against traffic during rush hour and instead of waiting for the cars to totally get out of his way, he just scrapes up the sides.

May the vic's RIP and the brothers get well soon.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

pictures............from firefighterclosecalls.com and the massilon independent

Preliminary Article from the Massilon Independent

MASSILLON, OH — Two people died in a two-vehicle crash this morning involving a Massillon fire truck and a van at Walnut Road and Johnson Street Southeast.
    Police confirm the adult male driver of the van, and a young child, the passenger in the van, perished in the mishap.
    Fire Chief Thomas Burgasser said “Our hearts go out to the families.”
    The fire truck was headed to a car fire on Huron when the accident occurred at 8:36 this morning. One fire truck with lights and siren made it through the intersection. A second fire truck, trailing behind, struck the van as it was passing through the intersection.
    Dozens of residents looked over the scene from sidewalks and front yards as police, firefighters and state highway patrol troopers processed the accident site behind a makeshift curtain to block onlookers’ view.
    Distraught family members arrived at the scene between 9 and 9:30 a.m.
    There was debris strewn 100 feet from the intersection. The fire truck struck a utility pole and split it in half.
    It is protocol that the State Highway Patrol is called in to handle fatality investigations in the city of Massillon. Chief Williams says the need is even more urgent in that the incident involved a city vehicle.
    Two Massillon firefighters were injured in the accident. The extent of their injuries are unknown. There were two other firefighters in the truck who were not injured.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Back In Black

So horrible. I couldn't imagine being involved in this tragedy.

Please, let's be careful out there.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Two more articles..............

A Massillon fire truck collided with a minivan on Walnut Road S.E. Tuesday morning, killing a city man and his grandson and injuring four firefighters.
    Ronald E. Anderson, 72, of 1215 Erie St. S., and a custodian at Washington High, and his step grandson, Javarre J. Tate, 4, were killed at the intersection of Johnson Street and Walnut Road S.E.
    Anderson was crossing the intersection in his Dodge Grand Caravan to take Tate to the Massillon Head Start as the fire truck headed eastbound on Walnut.
    “The van pulled out directly in front of the fire truck, unfortunately two occupants were killed,” said Lt. Joel Smith of the Ohio State Highway Patrol.
    Smith later confirmed that the truck had activated its emergency lights, sirens and horns.
    The truck pushed Anderson’s van 240 feet – about an entire street block – from Johnson to 13th Street and split a utility pole. Wood splinters from the pole and shards of glass were strewn throughout the roadway.
    Danny Clark, who was preparing for his morning walk, watched as one fire truck passed through the intersection, which is marked by stop signs and a blinking light. Seconds later, another truck came “barreling” down Walnut.
    “(The truck) was going down the street – blasting lights going, siren going,” said Clark, of 1002 13th St. S.E. “I seen the impact. The truck was going down the road. The car went through the intersection.”
    Clark saw Tate laying on the ground. He ran up to him, felt his pulse and began pressing on his chest. Clark began crying.
    “The baby was lying on the side of the street,” he said. “I pressed my hand on his heart, pulsating it.”
    Tate was rushed to Affinity Medical Center’s Doctors campus, where he was pronounced dead.
    Fire Chief Thomas Burgasser said the truck was in route to a full-involved car fire in the 1200 block of Huron Road S.E. and was trailing another truck.
    “Our hearts go out to the families,” said Burgasser, promising an investigation into the deadly wreck.
    Firefighter Susan J. Toles, 47, was driving the truck. She was taken to the Doctors campus for treatment.
    Cpt. Rick Annen, 53, and firefighters Jason C. Castile, 32, and Ernest S. Bard II, 29, also sustained minor injuries. They were treated at Affinity’s Massillon campus.

---------------------

Man, grandson killed in collision with Massillon firetruck
    UPDATE: 1:33 PM, Tuesday, May 6, 2008
    BY Lori Monsewicz
    REPOSITORY STAFF WRITER

Fire truck hits van. Kills 2 in van - injures 4 firefighters

MASSILLON Family and friends have identified those killed in the early morning crash involving a minivan and a city fire truck.

Ronald Anderson, 72, and his 3-year-old grandson, Javar Brown, were killed in the crash, said his brother, Victor Anderson.

Four firefighters also were injured in the crash, said Massillon Fire Chief Tom Burgasser.

The crash occurred at Walnut Road and Johnson Street SE as Anderson was taking his grandson to the nearby Massillon Head Start program, said Sheila McLaurin, a friend who drops off her grandchild at the program. The Massillon fire truck was moving through the intersection at the same time, heading to a vehicle fire.

Police and firefighters would not release crash details, saying the investigation is continuing.

The victims were riding in a Dodge Caravan that was struck broadside by a Massillon Fire Department aerial truck at Johnson Street and Walnut SE.

Danny Clark witnessed the impact. He said the driver of the fire truck was "barreling" down the street, which was marked by stop signs and a four-way, blinking traffic light.

"That truck was pushing the car down the street," Clark said. "The big old sucker got to be going 50-60 miles per hour ..."

Fire Chief Tom Burgasser said the truck was headed to a fully-involved vehicle fire in the 1200 block of Huron Road SE. It never made it.

Clark said he ran out into the street looking for the vehicle that was hit and saw the child lying alongside the street.

Eyewitnesses said the child was thrown from the vehicle when it struck the pole. The fire truck had pushed the van nearly an entire block to 13th Street SE.

The bottom half of the pole, lay where the wreck ended. The entire driver's side of the minivan was shoved into the passenger's side.

The man and child were pronounced dead at the scene.

Walnut is closed between 13th and 14th Streets.
    ----------------------

I am very curious as to whether the apparatus was stopping at stop signs and lights. The way the articles are written it doesnt seem so, but that it just the way the media has written it up.

Forum Member

Default Video..........

Forum Member

Default Another picture from the canton repository.......

Forum Member

Thanks for the articles RFRD. Extremely sad and senseless. We need to slow down folks...especially when running non-lifethreatening incidents. We continue to be our own worst enemies. It's a tough situation. I wish the best to the firefighters involved as well as the family of the deceased.

Forum Member

As the father of a 4 year old son (and 1 1/2 yo daughter), reading this puts a big lump in my throat.

Prayers go out to everyone: the family, the firefighters, and the poor man who had to witness it and then have last contact with the little man.

Slow down and be safe guys.

Forum Member

Gd
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Default Another Repository Updated Article..............

MASSILLON Ronald E. Anderson, 72, was taking his 4-year-old grandson to a local day care center early this morning.

Massillon firefighters were heading to an emergency call about a vehicle fire.

Anderson's minivan and the aerial ladder truck collided at a Walnut Road SE intersection, leaving Anderson and his 4-year-old grandson, Javarre J. Tate, dead.

According to the Ohio Highway Patrol., the injured firefighters are:

• Capt. Rick H. Annen, 47, of Canton;

• Jason C. Castile, 32, of Massillon

• and Ernest S. Bard II, 29, of Akron. All were taken to Affinity Medical Center's Massillon Campus with minor injuries.

The fire truck was driven by Susan Toles, 47, of Canton. She was treated at Affinity's Doctors Campus for minor injuries.

The crash occurred just after 8:30 a.m. on Walnut and Johnson Street SE.

More than 50 people stood watching from street corners, front porches and yards and atop porch railings as firefighters and police tied sheets together to shield their view of the wreckage. Behind the sheets, firefighters worked for more than an hour to free Anderson from his Dodge Caravan.

The child had already been taken away in an ambulance. He had been thrown from the vehicle nearly a block from where the truck and the minivan came to rest, according to eyewitnesses.

WITNESSES REACT

Massillon City Schools bus driver Becky Butterfield was driving an empty bus when she heard sirens and pulled over: "I looked in my rearview mirror and I seen the van cutting across the street ... and I thought, 'Oh, my God. No....' There was no way (the driver) could slow down."

Danny Clark, who lives on Walnut near Johnson Street SE where the crash occurred, saw the crash, too.

Clark was standing in his front yard when the aerial firetruck went by with flashing lights and blaring sirens, he said. The truck was heading down Walnut toward the intersection, a four-way stop marked with stop signs and red blinking lights.

"I seen the impact," he said. "The woman driving the fire truck came barreling down the ... street."

He saw the truck strike the minivan, which was heading across Johnson toward the Massillon Head Start day care building.

"I ran out to the street, and I got down, and I was looking for the car. But she hadn't stopped yet," he said. "She was pushing the car down the street."

The firetruck pushed the minivan at least a hundred yards before it stopped at 13th Street SE, debris from the wreckage strewn along the way.

Clark said that he ran down the street after it, but he didn't get far.

A short distance from the intersection where the crash occurred, he noticed the utility pole had been sheared in half. The top half was still hanging. The front half, he would later see, lay in front of the mangled minivan. Beneath the top half, however, he saw the child, fatally injured.

Clark said although the child had suffered an obvious massive head wound, he felt for a pulse and discovered a heartbeat. But other witnesses walked up and told him to cover the child.

"They said (that) people were coming. People were crying," he said.

Clark said he couldn't help the child, so he ran to the firetruck.

"I was crying. I confronted the driver of that truck. I told her to her face she was going too damn fast. She told me to get back. I just told her she was going too fast. That big old sucker got to be going 50-60 mph, whatever she was going," he said.

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

Fire Chief Tom Burgasser said firefighters were heading to a car fire in the 1200 block of Huron Road SE when the crash occurred.

He, Police Chief Robert Williams and Sgt. William Bower of the Ohio Highway Patrol's Canton post said troopers were investigating because the crash involved a city-owned vehicle.

Investigating troopers who took video and still photographs from the air arrived at the scene to shoot crash pictures at the site as a continual stream of onlookers arrived to survey the scene.

Family members who lived nearby met with friends and talked about Anderson.

"He was a man who, if you ever came around him, if you felt bad, he would make you feel good. He was very well-loved in the community," said Annie Long, who said she grew up with him and always thought of him as her brother.

"I have known him all my life, and he would do anything to help anybody any time. The community of Massillon is going to miss him."

Sheila McLaurin also knew Anderson, she said.

"We all went to school together," she said.

McLaurin said she and Anderson took their grandchildren to the head start program and frequently talked in the parking lot after dropping them off.

Today, she had arrived at the center and left before he arrived.

She said she had signed in her granddaughter, pulled out onto Walnut and headed down the street when she heard the sirens. She pulled onto a side street.

"It's a shame, it's just really a shame that this ever happened," she said, shaking her head and wiping her eyes.

Forum Member

http://www.newsnet5.com/index.html scroll down for the slide show on the right ....bad bad photos ..........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

First off I feel for the victims family.

Secondly we should not jump to conclusions, being on a department that is less than 2 miles away I personally know 2 of the guys on the truck and about 15 other guys at Massillon. This is a major blow to them, it is one of the most community oriented departments I have ever seen. I have heard many details about the accident that are not my place to say on here, however I will say this, we all know that 25 or 30 mph code 3 looks a lot like 50 or 60 mph to the normal citizen. I hope all works out the best that it can in a situation like this.

MembersZone Subscriber

where is Lafireeducator to bash the fire department and its drivers for not doing it the way his does?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

no one should be making comments just yet, let some real facts and details come out. In the mean time pray for the victims families and for our brothers and sisters as this is undoubtedly a VERY difficult time.

I knew something had happened when the union officers from Massillon got the call here at the conference in Akron. They left immediately. As far as the response to a car fire.........there were exposure problems which warranted the response of the stick involved in the accident.

Again, our prayers our with the families of everyone involved.
    Local 216
    Secretary/Treasurer

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wilson10 View Post
    As far as the response to a car fire.........there were exposure problems which warranted the response of the stick involved in the accident.
    I was refrencing the fact that people freak out for car fires. I'm not saying anything about sending a stick. I don't know their protocols. Maybe it was a quint? I don't know.

From those videos, it did look like that might have been a three way stop. My mom goes through that intersection quite regularly or work but from the same direction as the van.

Forum Member

Default from the secret list...........

FAMILY ISSUE 1 (Fatal Apparatus Crash--Apparatus Driver Related To
    Victims)- As you know, a horrific responding crash occurred yesterday
    in Massillon (Ohio) when apparatus that was responding to a car fire
    struck a van, killing a civilian and his grandson. Ronald Anderson,
    72, died at the scene Tuesday morning along with Javarre Tate, 4.
    They were just a block from the child's school and the home of
    relatives. BUT IN A HORRIFIC TWIST OF REALITY, Mr. Anderson's cousin,
    Massillon Firefighter Susan Toles, was driving the responding ladder
    truck that struck his van and was one of four Firefighters who
    suffered minor injuries in the crash. The apparatus struck the
    driver's side door of Anderson's Caravan and pushed the vehicle about
    110 yards before stopping. The intersection is a four-way stop with
    signs and flashing overhead red lights and is in a 25 mph zone.
    “The van pulled out directly in front of the fire truck” said Lt.
    Joel Smith-Ohio State Patrol. Lt. Smith later confirmed that the
    apparatus had activated its emergency lights, sirens and horns but
    the civilian driver was hearing impaired. We have posted more
    information and photos on our news/updates area on the home page.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    where is Lafireeducator to bash the fire department and its drivers for not doing it the way his does?
    So bashing him for his departments' protocols is better than his questioning someone elses?

Any time this happens we should all be taking a good look at our response protocols. God knows the driver of this truck has probably been doing just that for the last 24+ hours.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

MASSILLON Ronald E. Anderson, 72
    BUT IN A HORRIFIC TWIST OF REALITY, Mr. Anderson's cousin,
    Massillon Firefighter Susan Toles, was driving the responding ladder
    truck
    Ok. All bets are off. {Not that there were any being made!} This was always read as being a bad event, but when all parties are connected by family........ there are no words for describing a loss like this.

There are all sorts of black humour comments that could be made, but the ones I'm thinking of are in poor taste, even for me.

I can only wish the best of wishes for the families involved, to make a recovery.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Ok. All bets are off. {Not that there were any being made!} This was always read as being a bad event, but when all parties are connected by family........ there are no words for describing a loss like this.

There are all sorts of black humour comments that could be made, but the ones I'm thinking of are in poor taste, even for me.

I can only wish the best of wishes for the families involved, to make a recovery.
    I thought the same thing. No words can describe.

Truckie

I don't understand why car fires warrant a stupid response like this.
    I don't know, what where the circumstances of this car fire. Hell, I've pulled 2 people out of car fires in my career. 1 with bystanders around and 1 with police, neither knew there was anybody in the car.
    Second, from the latest articles, it appears on face value the civilian driver pulled right in front of the apparatus. Add the fact he was reported to be hearing impaired, it's a recipe for disaster.
    Again, throwing "brothers" under the bus with out all the facts.
    My condolences to the bereaved and best wishes for those on the rig for a speedy and full; mental and physical, recovery of this tragedy.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Thanks for the articles RFRD. Rest in Peace victims. Speedy recovery to the firefighters. My prayers and thoughts are with all.
    ~But with God all things are possible. Matthew 19:26~

~The very worst fire plan is no plan. The next worse is two plans. ~

~Stay Safe! Everyone Goes Home!~

Forum Member

I have thoughts about this given the information that has been presented so far, but I will withhold until further information or investigations.

Probably best that we all do the same, otherwise it will get ugly.

Banned

Don't know who was at fault, doesn't really matter. Just think about this next time you approach an intersection. It is best to slow down, make sure all people in the intersection see you, then proceed. Remember, you do not take the right of way, it is given.

Banned

It doesn't really matter who is at fault. Just remember, when approaching an intersection slow down, make sure everyone in the intersection sees you, then proceed. The right of way is not something you take, it is something that is given. Comes right out of the Defensive Driving class. Let's all think about htis as we approach any intersection.

MembersZone Subscriber

Making judgemental calls right now in regards to their response is a little premature. Lets wait until the investigation os complete shall we? This is a very sad and unfortunate incident to the fire service. My thoughts go out to the Injured firefighters and Massilon FD. My thoughts go out to the victims family as well.

Thread Information