Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elyria Fire

Forum Member

Default Elyria Fire

So, anyone in the area knows of the situation where the mayor is holding any new hires for the year "hostage" until (if) the tax levy passes in August or November.

I was just wondering when they planned to begin the interview process and such, as the I read in the news a few weeks ago that the finance committee did approve the hire of 6 new firefighters, even though they will be laid off if the tax levy fails. Also, if anyone knows how many the plan to interview per spot?

Just trying to get an idea of where things are, and where they are headed. Thanks in advance for any help.

Forum Member

I had my interview on the 29th. I have not heard a word from anyone since then. I had heard nothing of the tax levy untill i just read your post. If you hear any more news please keep me posted. I live on the east side so im usually the last to hear if there is any news.

Forum Member

Out of Curiosity, what number were you on the list?

And here is a brief run down of the whole tax levy thing so far.

Basically the Elyria Fire Department is funded out of the city's general fund. A large portion of that fund is based on a tax renewal that was on the ballot in March, but due to poor wording on the Ballot and no advertising that it would be on the ballot, it failed.

The majority of the money that tax makes goes to the fire department. And with the mayor cutting minimum staffing (from 17 to 14), closing a station, and demoting some officers, he plans to trim some of that cost. He has stated, due to the outcry from the public, he will hire 6 firefighters this year. But if the tax levy fails, he will lay off the 6 hires. And with the 7 retiring by the end of the year, puts the fire department dangerously low on staffing.

Forum Member

Anyone else got any info?

Forum Member

No new info, but I thought I'd add that I also had an interview the 29th and haven't heard anything at all. For the person who asked, I'm in the top 10 on the list. That tax info is interesting stuff.

Forum Member

thanks for the update and if anything else comes up in the papers as far as the Mayor v. Fire Department goes...i will let you all know.

I had heard that they were interviewing like the top 20 to start, and since I am not far behind that 20 mark I am just curious to find out anything I can. So thanks again

Forum Member

I was in the top ten as well. I still have not heard anything

Forum Member

I hate bumping old threads but didn't know if anyone knew anything. whether it was rumors or what.

Thread Information