Thread: CPAT test?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default CPAT test?

are all CPAT test like this?

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/...tment/CPAT.htm

just wondering we are not required to do them at my fire company? I've heard about some of them from some career. I think it's the only thing that has stopped me from applying, I'm kinda a fat guy (240lbs.) and just always figured it would kick my butt and wouldn't have a chance. Any suggestions?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

All CPAT tests should be the same. The reason for the creation of the CPAT was to have a test that was uniform and approved by the Dept. of Labor and the Dept. of Justice to be reliable and and job related. If a department is conducting something not like what your link referred to, it's not a CPAT.

My only issue with the CPAT is I think the time allowance is too long. If someone gets through the CPAT with a 10:19, (failure is 10:20), they will think they are in good enough shape to be successful in the fire academy. They will struggle greatly. I would like to see the time limt brought down to 9:30 or less. Besides the time, the test is okay for entry level physical fitness testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Your link won't work.

I feel the same way, sort of. The test was designed to be uniform and fair. I disagree with the earlier cut off time. You have to draw the line somewhere. No matter where you draw the line, the person who has made it just under it will do the same thing. The time is a reasonable time and should not be changed.

if you are a "slenderly disadvantaged" guy, I suggest to start working out to make the CPAT testing or consider another line of work. I wish you well, your rewards from it will be great.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a warning. Though I've not yet been through an academy, I've talked with many people who have, and they all agree that if you struggle with the CPAT, you should not even think about trying to go through a full academy without some serious physical training. You'll get killed.

As one LAFD training Captain said to me: "The CPAT's a joke. My 12 year old could do the CPAT. It lasts 10 minutes, but the tower's 10 hours a day for 4 months."

Just something to keep in mind.

Permanently Removed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    Just a warning. . My 12 year old could do the CPAT.
    Yes that is correct. However, the good Captain failed to say that his daughter found firefighting not that challenging. So, she quit and is now a professional dodgeball player.

Name:  MV5BMTQ3ODc4MDIzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTY0OTY3__V1__SY400_SX600_.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  MV5BMTY2MDk5NDk5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzg0OTY3__V1__SY400_SX600_.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  45.1 KB
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JLam77 View Post
    Just a warning. Though I've not yet been through an academy, I've talked with many people who have, and they all agree that if you struggle with the CPAT, you should not even think about trying to go through a full academy without some serious physical training. You'll get killed.

As one LAFD training Captain said to me: "The CPAT's a joke. My 12 year old could do the CPAT. It lasts 10 minutes, but the tower's 10 hours a day for 4 months."

Just something to keep in mind.

I'm not sure about a 12 year old being able to do it, but, I will tell you this. Be in shape, and the PT sessions and physical evolutions will be much tougher than any CPAT. We looked forward to our CPAT days as we didn't have PT on those days..
    Probationary Firefighter

FF/EMT-B
    Paramedic in training..

Thread Information